IGNORED

New to ST/Falcon

That's a big question- what sort of games do you like? Are you going to be playing these on real hardware from flopppy/SD card, on an emulator, or watching videos of them on YouTube?

Do you have a Falcon? If not you may be able to emulate some games on Hatari but probably not most, and you'll be limited to watching them on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1AB7526F4B7B331C

A few games that stand out in my memory from the ST are Dungeon Master, Stunt Car Racer, Oids, Xenon 2, No Second Prize, Wings of Death, Llamatron, Kick off 2, IK+, Super Sprint... a more 'definitive' list was voted on here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14766

• Like 1

Currently, I'm doing both emulation and the Youtube trick. These are systems I never knew. I love general arcade games, but also platformers and RPG's. I do not have either computer.

I'm kind of trying to try before I buy, as I am looking for my next collection victims!

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor and download SuperFly from Resevoir Gods - great, fun game and catchy music! Same goes for Chu Chu Rocket for either the Falcon or the ST.

Crown of Creation 3D is the jewel for the Falcon but I don't think you're going to be able to emulate it. If you can find Killing Impact to download somewhere, that's a good one too!

• Like 1

Emulation will get you a long way, there's no real reason nowadays to get the original hardware, except for the 'fun' of using it and coping with all the little quirks.

For emulation I like Steem SSE, but Hatari is also very good. You'll a TOS ROM image (or probably several to choose from). Disk images of games should be easy to find. Bear in mind that some software only works on specifc machine/TOS/memory configurations, many people get confused by this. (e.g. one game might require a 4MB STE, but another game might only work on a 512KB STFM with TOS 1.02, etc.)

Thanks for that info...incidentally, how much/rare is a Falcon these days?

As you can see by my profile photo...I'm into torturing myself with old glitch hardware. That Astrocade has put an indefinite halt to further collecting at the moment, but I'm trying to learn in the meantime! I like the feel and authenticity of the real thing for the systems that I love...but I'm trying to keep it narrow now.

Dungeon Master, Stunt Car Racer, Oids, Xenon 2, No Second Prize, Wings of Death, Llamatron, Kick off 2, IK+, Super Sprint... a more 'definitive' list was voted on here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14766

I don't think you can top that reply, what a great choice of games there! Of course as said, it depends on what you like.... Allow me to add a few of my own onto this already awesome list: Wolfenstein 3D, Corporation, Mig-29, Chaos Engine, Lure Of The Temptress, Vaxine, Magic Pockets, Frontier, Stardust (STE), Galdregons Domain, Battle Command, Vroom, Captive, Stormlord, Annihilator, The Immortal, Well 'Ard, Blood Money, Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters, Pac-Mania (STE), Giana Sisters (STE), Resolution 101, SWIV, Gauntlet 2, wow the list could go on and on... lol

Love the ST, me!

Good luck ;-)

Steve

• Like 1

Falcons go for around $500 to $1000. Better graphics and sound than an ST but not much software. You'd probably have more fun with a $100 or so STE. I've got a Falcon and it's awesome, but I use the STs more.

I would love to own a nice STE for $100 but that's unlikely to happen. Sell me your Falcon :P

• Like 2

Sorry if I missed the answer in this thread already and I ask these questions as someone likely to never own a Falcon but more for curiosity sake.....

Exactly compatible is the Falcon with the ST line (if compatible at all?)

Do ST emulators emulate the Falcon well or is there a dedicated Falcon emulator?

Thanks and sorry if off topic or going off course of the OP topic but I figure not needed to start a new thread with you knowledgeable people already answering here.

Hatari emulates a Falcon but I believe not the DSP so much s/w won't work, maybe other problems too.

The Falcon is compatible with well behaved ST programs, i.e. No games and few apps that weren't targeted for the Falcon. Many ST games have been patched though- look up d-bug.kicks-ass (patches) or atari.8bitchip (hard disk adapted). Lots of ~1993 and later apps are Falcon compatible.

• Like 3

With that said, I think the FireBee is still available but I'm not sure about its capabilities in the DSP area or just exactly how compatible it is when it comes to games. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in with details with said experience.

There is a batch of Firebee's being remade, so if you want one it's now or never, or wait to pick one up used. Firebee isn't 68K binary compatible, doesn't 'yet' have any DSP, and is a worse option for games at the moment than an ST or Falcon. A FireBee likely appeals more to someone who doesn't think that compiling their own Linux kernel is a big deal.

• Like 1

There is a batch of Firebee's being remade, so if you want one it's now or never, or wait to pick one up used. Firebee isn't 68K binary compatible, doesn't 'yet' have any DSP, and is a worse option for games at the moment than an ST or Falcon. A FireBee likely appeals more to someone who doesn't think that compiling their own Linux kernel is a big deal.

Too bad it's so restricted. Thanks for clearing that up!

• 9 months later...

So, I started this thread almost a year ago. In the end, I purchased three classic computers:

1. C64

2. Atari 800 XL

3. An Amiga 500

I love all three for differing reasons. I'm fascinated by the Amiga, as may not be surprising.

I still have a desire to eventually purchase an ST. However, they seem much harder to come by than an Amiga (even a 1200) and it seems the necessary model is at least an STe to get the full experience. Is this true? Should they be near-impossible and expensive to boot?

Not in the position to get one right now, but wondering...

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy how the prices bounce. I got my 1040STe last month for 272 USD, and my Falcon last year for 700. Granted I have already upgraded the ram on both to 4mb and 14mb, plus I already had an ultrasatan and cosmosex laying around... but then they are voth my latest STs, ai have a Mega STe and a TTO30.

These are fantastic systems.

With the 800xl and Amiga 500 you have the Jay Miner design, and once you add the ST with the C64 you'll have Shiraz Shivji design.

Kind of wished I had known that back in '91, probably could have gotten an Amiga 3000 instead of the Mega STe, but I did love it. Still remember playing snowball fight and Megalomania with digitized voices and being amazex, while my friend who had a DOS system was still stuck with a PC speaker for sound because decent soumd cards were still 200 plus dollars.

I found mine on Amibay. Only downside is it has a Y key that looks like it was from a qwertz keyboard layout, and a UK keyboard. US ones seem difficult to find. Yeah, all the ones I have seen lately have been 1500+. I waited a long time to find mine.

Haha, I just noticed... got my Falcon in late 2015, not 2016. So about a year ago

Edited by leech