IGNORED

No Man's Sky

TPA5

Is it me or does No Man's Sky sounds like 2016's Destiny? :grin:

At least in this case I didn't pre-order a $150 Collector's Edition. I do still want to check this game out though. I'll just go into it with low expectations! :thumbsup:

Is destiny cool now? I have seen that the full game now isn't very expensive, and I was thinking of getting it for the xbox one. I don't care about story. Seems like a cool chiil go out there and shoot things game.

Well, a couple weeks in and I'm still enjoying my experience. Good game for relaxation. Now that mods are coming out for it I've been able to solve some of the minor issues I've had with the game like not being able to fly close to the surface and making space actually dark instead of nebula-filled. I'll get my money's worth yet I feel.

Is destiny cool now? I have seen that the full game now isn't very expensive, and I was thinking of getting it for the xbox one. I don't care about story. Seems like a cool chiil go out there and shoot things game.

It might be too late to be competitive/social with Destiny, but yeah, you can get in for cheap. I wanted to like it but I kept getting shot in the back (like in most multiplayer FPS games) which isn't fun for me. No Mans Sky is like the zen version of Destiny, very chill in comparison.

I don't care about story. Seems like a cool chiil go out there and shoot things game.

Then you definitely want to pick up Destiny. In terms of just shooting things, collecting stuff, leveling and playing PVP occasionally its probably the best shooter I've ever played. I think I played for around 2 or 300 hours. Not nearly as long as some people I played with.

The storyline, the grinding aspects and to some degree the rewards are what really make this game suck for some people and I have to agree for the most part. If you wanna jump on some time and just shoot stuff there's nothing better IMO.

Have a feeling No Mans Sky might follow the same road. Mediocre at first and then great two years from now (if its still being supported)

It is pretty average but could be the awesome game with good modding or a strong Content Patch

Right. Basically, it should have been a 20 dollar early access steam title. Which is about what it was going to be: a non-full price steam title for of only.

But when Sony came in, priority shifted to ps4 and I think that love from Sony went to the dev's head. Or who knows, the initial trailer was false as well. Maybe they've always been dishonest. From what they described, there was supposed to be sides you could join, multiplayer, different handling of each ship with different purposes of each, the ability to take on contracts and trade routes ala Elite Dangerous, etc. And that's skipping the little things like how creatures interact with each other and the world around them, etc which all seem heavily toned down in the retail build.

So yeah. Either a good community of mods or.....ya know.... The dev finishing the game, would make it a much better experience.

Edited by MotoRacer

Despite the negativity / disappointments with NO MAN'S SKY at least on the PC there is the hope of MODS. This video already covers some interesting mods and they have not even completely cracked the game yet but they are very close so once that happens it will be really interesting to see where the modder's take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IIjPDAR5dY

now that the game is finally out (after many delays) i am wondering if the game has multiplayer? I didn't really get hyped for the game and and never bought it. I see different responses both from people in the community and the devs themselves on the multiplayer in this game and i have no idea if you can meet friends or random people, if there is no multiplayer then this game is almost worthless TO ME so i want to know before buying it.

Based on Angry Joe's review, I'm pretty sure there's no multiplayer at this point. Heck, a lot of the things the devs said in interviews that would be in the game aren't in it either. Including any kinda of satisfying ending for those who manage to get to the center of the galaxy. :D

Probably best to avoid the game until it's discounted or at least has some of the features the devs said it would have. Seems it was released more to use players as beta testers. (At least 3 bug patches later it's apparently more or less stable enough to play.)

There is no multiplayer and there never was meant to be traditional multiplayer. The devs spoke of possibly meeting other players, but given the size of the universe, that was deemed unlikely. As we know, two players did manage to meet, but never saw each other, so that functionality, however limited it was initially meant to be, is not actually implemented.

It was always meant to be a single-player exploratory game; the mistake on the part of the Devs was they listened to their PR / Sony's PR people who told them to not say "No there will be absolutely no multiplayer" when asked, but to falsely claim the universe was so big no one would ever meet up. Was there even a character model made for the player?

Either way, it seems like a moderately cool game on its own... but as with so many things that get hyped up (IMO particularly by Sony, they seem to be 0 for on hyped games living up), it couldn't meet the expectation level. They also obviously released the game without enough testing, but in modern gaming how common is that? It's the way things are nowadays; we pay them for the privilege of testing their games while they patch them. This has been happening since Mortal Kombat II hit arcades as a buggy mess, and we kept pumping in quarters anyways while they made revised board after revised board. We, as a whole consumer base, are simply none too bright and unprincipled. And so we get what we've sown.

When was the last time Steam (or anyone for that matter) allowed a mass refund?

It must be pretty bad and that is why you can't bullshit your way to production with false promises. These guys at least shipped (compare the CC guys) but the backlash of shipping something else may be sealing the fate of their lead .... he will be remember as "the guy of No Man's Sky" and not in a good way.

When was the last time Steam (or anyone for that matter) allowed a mass refund?

It must be pretty bad and that is why you can't bullshit your way to production with false promises. These guys at least shipped (compare the CC guys) but the backlash of shipping something else may be sealing the fate of their lead .... he will be remember as "the guy of No Man's Sky" and not in a good way.

Batman: Arkham Knight comes to mind, but that may have been initiated by WB?

• Like 1

Amazon US and Sony PSN are offering refunds too:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/amazon-sony-and-steam-refunding-no-mans-sky-regardless-of-your-play-time-1451207

lol....reminds me of the Batman Arkham Knight mass refund although I think Batman was infinitely worse (broken) than No Mans Sky. At least its playable, just not what people want at $60.

Edit: One glaring problem though is gamers using physical media should have the same consumer options digital gamers have. :roll:

I just bought a PS4 this weekend exclusively to play this game. I only have a few hours in on it so far but I absolutely love it.

The game is immense. It looks great, it's well thought out, and it absolutely delivers on everything I hoped it would be. A very non-linear, open universe, with lots of opportunities to make the game what you want it.

To the nay sayers I will say this. The game does give an overall feeling like you're getting in on the ground floor of something. That's not to mean the game lacks polish or objectives. But it does very much feel like you are a pioneer exploring a new universe. But that's exactly how you should feel in a game that's only been out for 2 weeks that literally offers a new universe to explore. I think it offers a solid foundation to build some amazing stories on. Look at it this way. Remember the movie Aliens where the people colonized the planet? Later it turned into a stage for a lot of action and aliens that pretty much killed everyone. But before that happened there was a lot of exploring, colonizing, a getting to understand the world. Whether it happens in upgrades or whether it's already hidden in the game, I have no doubt No Man's Sky will continue to deliver amazing gameplay experiences. It's just not a game for anyone looking for a quick, superficial, action fix. Stick with it and it is very rewarding.

Stick with it and it is very rewarding.

By rewarding do you mean when you finally get to the end you get to start over and keep your stuff? :P

I jest, it's obvious that a lot of gamers were expecting more than what they got out of this title. I didn't even hear about the game till a short time before it was being released.

I do want to check it out, it sounds right up my alley, and since I wasn't following the hype, I wont know what I'm missing!

• Like 1

I read an interesting thread someplace where gamers theorized that most complaints were coming from younger gamers. Gamers raised on the latest and greatest, used to instant gratification and lots of bells and whistles. Older gamers, on the other hand, have a different perspective and don't mind the pace of NMS. I'd be in the latter.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent enjoying games like Adventure (the original text version), Swordquest, MYST, Tail of the Sun, and Aquanaut's Holiday. NMS is way more engaging than any of those titles IMO but it does share a certain vibe with them. Even the fact that NMS has little to no instructions makes me think it's a deliberate attempt to draw you into this vibe, become engaged in the NMS universe, and encourage you to explore.

There may not be the instant gratification that some may expect. But when someone goes out of their way to create a game that can contain 18 quintillion different planets to explore, I wouldn't want or expect that.

I spent a week solid on this game. The repeating building structures and aliens you meet finally just started to drive me crazy. And the fact that all the ships flew the same, the combat amounted to nothing, etc just made me put down the controller. There was just nothing to do but grind to the center. The first few hours of this game are solid if you like space sims and then you realize how spectacularly empty it all is.

The fact that the developer lied through his teeth with that affable sheepish smile is just really disturbing to me. It almost makes me wonder if he's been getting away with this stuff all his life by just smiling and charming his way out of the messes he made.

Another thing that fascinates me is that what if he wasn't lieing and there was a build out there that has all the things he was talking about. And that build was pulled for some reason. Why did this happen?

• Like 1

There may not be the instant gratification that some may expect. But when someone goes out of their way to create a game that can contain 18 quintillion different planets to explore, I wouldn't want or expect that.

C'mon now, quintillion is just a big number to wow you, even just 4 billions (representable with a 32bits) would be vast enough for any game.

Even if you could visit 1 world per second out of 4 billions worlds it would take you 136 years, so it's just a big ass number with no particular meaning.

If you use 64bit then you get ~10^19 which is 10 quinitillions in US. In EU/UK the quintillion is 10^30 or roughly 2^100 (10^3 ~= 2^10 (it's smaller I know)), not sure which of the two he referred too, my bet is the 64bit number which matches the SI prefix Exa (as in Exabytes).

Be as it may you can't even test the variations to see if it makes sense so the vast majority MUST be desert/useless/barren/sameness space junk of some sort.

• Like 1