IGNORED

Where'd You Get Your 1st Lynx

gilsaluki

A topic on the 2600 forum and gave me this thought. The Only place I could actually touch and feel a real Lynx in 1990 was at Dillard's Dept Store in El Paso, TX. Electronics Boutique (long gone) also had them for a while (at the mall). After seeing them at the store, I called the Dillard's store to ship mine to my house at Holloman AFB, NM. After I convinced my wife that I really "needed" one. It came with Calif. Games, power supply, pouch and ComLYNX. I wanted another game. But every game I mentioned they did not have in stock. Games were an even $35 each. Finally I asked for Slime World, they shipped that with my system. Good memories..I think it WAS Christmas for me.

I got mine circa 2014 from best-electronics, a well known seller of NOS atari stuff. I got a reconditioned lynx 1 and it has been pretty good. I desperately wanted a lynx as a kid and used to see advertisements in comic books, but I came pretty late to the party and by the time I really knew what a lynx was, it was probably 1995 or 1996 and the lynx was long out of stores, and online shopping wasn't really a thing yet.

I probably played my first lynx around then b/c a neighborhood kid that I wasn't good friends with, let me play his lynx 2 for a couple of minutes (only ever got to play it once). Several years later (post 2000), a friend of mine had a beat up lynx 1 that I would periodically play when I came over to his place, and that kept my interest in the system alive.

I can't exactly remember. :)

I know it was around 1999-2000 because that was my first year back in Atari stuff. I know I found some Lynx 2's in local thrift stores. I think I bought a Lynx 1 off e-bay a year or so later. I guess my second Lynx 1 also came from a Thrift Town or something.

Lynx's were sold a lot in Dallas though so they turn up from time to time.

Was a gift.

The first one was the older Lynx 1 but I had some problem, the buttons didn't work. Later California Games got stuck on permanent INSERT GAME screen no matter how I cleaned the contacts.

I got Lynx 2 for Easter with a few games such as STUN Runner and Rygar.

1991 - Got it from Dixons, and got Xenophobe at the same time. Bought it then went to the cinema with my cousin, to watch Terminator 2 which had just been released. Needless to say I opened up the Lynx and started playing in the cinema lol. It must have been a distraction to the people behind me. They were all watching the movie, I was playing Xenophobe (silently) lol.

• Like 1

Autumn 2010, from a Greek ebay seller. The Lynx 2 itself was in good condition (but I know it was worked on it, it has mono-through-headphones sound). Getting it was not without problems, obviously, he had wanted more for it than the auction had brought up. After over a week of silence, he plainly emailed back "I have changed my mind.", then he "agreed" to follow the ebay rules but wanted more for "fast postage". I really wanted to have one, as a gamer, I had almost begged him to play fair to a fellow gamer and from then on the mood swang, he unexpectedly agreed to ship it the slow, already paid for way.

So all in all, while in a good atmosphere, such "I´m a fellow hobbyist!" messages were going to and fro for days while I saw him piling up "bad" ebay points from some other customers (for example, "claims he has lost the Baseball Heroes CIB"). But my Lynx arrived, and just days later his ebay account was closed.

So, somehow I consider this Lynx 2 a symbol of a small personal victory, by powers of persuasion :)

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Pretty sure it was either Babbages or Electronic Boutique. Worked at Ward's when the first model was released, but didn't purchase until the redesigned model came out... for whatever reason, probably cost. Think it was $89-$99. First model was $179 and came with California Games IIRC. Wasn't crazy about that particular game and felt it was kind of pricey for a portable at the time. Still do, even though you get a hell of a lot more for your money these days. :lol:

I got my Lynx 2 in 1992 for Christmas off my Parents. It was the Batman Returns pack but I got Rampage too.

Over the Christmas period the first game I bought for it was Checkered Flag from Tandy, I've still got the box with the original receipt in it. It cost me £29.99 of my own money which when I only earned £3.50 a week on my paper round was a hell of a-lot of money!

My cousins had the original Lynx's so I had to get one, ComLynx was ace, I just wish Atari had been better at their game!

The screen on this Lynx went a few years back but thanks to McWill it's all back up and running again and even better than before!

• Like 1

Babbages! That was the other store that sold them. I was thinking Electronics Boutique, it was really Babbages in the mall that sold the Lynx II. I remember seeing them still being sold in 1992 at Toys R US. Even then, the Atari wasn't supporting our lovely machine. I fell in love with it immediately. Still love the blasted thing. Thanks for all the responses. Memories.

I got my Lynx II as some sort of present in I think 1992. I know I got it from Sears because after my step-brother fried it by plugging in some random ac adapter into it I took it back to Sears and they replaced it. I am pretty sure it came bundled with Rygar, but we may have just bought the game at the same time.

2001 direct from Telegames UK. It's a recon mark 2. I wanted it having been with game gear since my youth in the early nineties. I bought a selection of titles with it over a mix of genres. Roadblasters, bill and ted, chess, simis, batman returns, shadow of the beast. I put it down for a while when I was travelling round Aus in 2002/3. Then on a return extended stay in Aus in 2004 I took the lynx and tracked down all the second hand carts in all the gametrader shops across the land. I also got a lynx 1 thrown in at a place called video game heaven, knox city, Melbourne which doesn't exist now. I have since bought a new unused boxed model one and two, two mcwill model twos and a mcwill model one.

• Like 1