IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

Oh, it still matters. Remember, some of us get .000000015% back in "bonus points" when purchasing stuff from Best Buy. For every million dollars you spend, you get $5 back or something stupid like that. :rolling:

Every time I make a purchase at Best Buy using my rewards card or buy something online, they reset my email marketing preferences. Uhggg... :razz:

Correct, there are no different models. It's all in what they bundle together based on retailer requests (and yes, I was not informed of any special retailer bundling, but obviously there is). Everything else is otherwise the same, and all accessories, be it wired or wireless joysticks or wired paddles, are all available from the AtGames Website.

For the stuff in 2017, they're moving to a new wireless standard, but there will still be legacy wired ports. The only things that won't work are the wireless controllers between old and new AtGames' models.

No, the wired controllers are different internally from the wireless ones. In 2017, the infrared models will go away in favor of a better technology, along with other hardware improvements.

Bill - so there will be a "AT Games Atari Flashback 8" next year?????? I thought I read somewhere that this was the last of the Atari Flashback series?

I miss Circuit City... :P

The necktied sales associates who worked on commission? The rebate checks that never came? The pull tickets and waiting for your merch to come from up from the back room? It was Best Buy with nicer flooring. There's always CarMax if you want the entertainment value of commissioned salespeople who don't know anything about what they're selling. :-)
  • Like 4

I miss Crazy Eddie. :P

...although I worked there in my teens (the Massapequa store) and they linked the 'Computer' department and 'Appliances' department together. I have no idea why. So, I sold (mostly) Commodore computers and Microwaves. :?

They used to sometimes have sales, where the sale prices were higher than the 'regular' price. My boss would tell me to make the 'regular' price higher for the sale. I hated doing that... I guess I'm not a true salesman. :D

(sorry for the O/T post) :(

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

Whenever I get nostalgic for Circuit City, I just go to a HH Gregg. What I miss is Sears having a worthwhile electronics section.

HH Gregg is what went into all the old Circuit City stores near me. It's a weird setup -- all the bulky, high-dollar stuff on the outside walls, and the cheaper things on pegboard hangers in the center. The last time I went into that store, they wouldn't let me buy a $100 item with a credit card without taking all my contact information. I declined, telling them that I thought the Radio Shack method of demanding spammable addresses was over. I generally try to be as charming in person as I can, but f$ck that place, I won't go back.

We only had Circuit City...

Best Buy was 45 miles away...

But it was funny... Best Buy, in the old days, had an anime section that was a whole aisle long, stocked to the gills, Circuit City had "Spirited Away" next to all their sci-fi DVDs in their section marked "Anime/Sci-Fi". I asked an employee why they only had one anime DVD in their whole "anime" section and her response was, "What's anime?" ..

To be fair, the last time I was in a Best Buy, their entire anime section was less than 4 shelves, about one 16th of its previous size...And so was their whole movie section...

And Circuit City did not care what you were buying as long as they could try and sell you an extended warranty on it...That's a nice extension cord ya got there...Shame if something were to happen to it...

On the plus side you could sign up for a Circuit City card, get $20 credit...Then cancel and do it again haha!

OK Wait I'm not completely off topic yet...LOL...Flashbacks might have been carried by Circuit City if they were still around :)

• Like 1

I'm a little late remembering to do this, but could someone with an Atari Flashback 7 confirm that powering it on while holding Start + Select brings you to the debug mode, and that the debug mode still shows "Titan" at the top of the screen? This is really just a formality, since we already know that the FB7 is essentially an FB6 plus a new port of Frogger and a fixed Secret Quest.

Also, shout-out to Flojomojo for finding the debug mode entry code for the Atari Flashback Portable.

To be fair, the last time I was in a Best Buy, their entire anime section was less than 4 shelves, about one 16th of its previous size...

The American anime home video market crashed in ~2008 and kept crashing, with distributors continuing to exit the marketplace, until around 2012. Well, recovery might have started earlier than that, but that's when Bandai Entertainment folded, as the last of the "old guard" still trying to sell single-disc volumes. During that period, Target stopped selling anime entirely, and Best Buy trimmed their sections significantly. I remember reading that anime would even only be carried by a handful of Best Buy stores, but the local store that was supposed to do that instead just trimmed their section down to one rack of shelves.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

And Circuit City did not care what you were buying as long as they could try and sell you an extended warranty on it...That's a nice extension cord ya got there...Shame if something were to happen to it...

Reminds me of when I bought a 5-pin DIN MIDI cable and a shielded RCA at Radioshack to roll my own Genesis Model 1 AV output (because the aftermarket cable I bought online was so crappy it actually had worse picture than the stock RF). RS tried to sell me an extended warranty on the cable (of which I had full intention of mutilating as soon as I got home). I told them "no thanks" and proceeded with my plans to Frankenstein the thing together. FYI, the resulting AV cable I spliced had 1000x better picture quality than the aftermarket [insert alternate word for "poop" here]. Really as if RS would have let me return it after I hacked it up, if for some reason the cable didn't meet my expectations? :P

• Like 1

The old Circuit City in my area is now a Goodwill store... :P

Ours moved and turned their old building into a Circuit City Warehouse Store (or whatever it was called), and years later, Big Lots moved in and closed their old location.

I have no idea what their newer location turned into, I never go down that way. I think it might be a makeup store or something.

Ours moved and turned their old building into a Circuit City Warehouse Store (or whatever it was called), and years later, Big Lots moved in and closed their old location.

I have no idea what their newer location turned into, I never go down that way. I think it might be a makeup store or something.

There used to be a ToysЯUs near my house. They had a larger location in Bossier City across the river and closed the one on my side in the early 2000s when they went through a corporate restructure. The old location is now a Surplus Warehouse which sells primarily discount construction materials. Service Merchanidise (similar to Circuit City in many aspects), which went bankrupt in the late 1990s eventually became a Hobby Lobby. Bunches more places came and went over the years, too many to name.

I remember when I was a kid, the land in southeast Shreveport between Youree, East Kings, Bert Kouns, and 70th was still cotton fields. Now it's endless strip malls, restaurants, hospitals, and medical plazas. It was when they were developing that side of town that many of the retail stores on my side closed shop for good.

But perhaps the biggest one of all, the gigantic Southpark Mall right near my house got purchased by Summer Grove megachurch. Funny story but Burlington Coat Factory is the only outlet from the original mall still operating in it's original location. They were the only outlet store to renew their lease after the church bought out the mall and to this day continue to rent out the space from the new owners.

• Like 1

That backwards R is very impressive to me. How?

I don't know how to type one using a PC keyboard besides copy/paste. But some mobile devices have access to foreign character sets. The reversed R is part of the Russian/Cyrillic alphabet. I was on the Wii-U gamepad and scrolled through the foreign characters with caps lock on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya_(Cyrillic)

So the corporate logo for ToysRUs has the R backwards to depict a child's handwriting, ie ToysЯUs. And The Tengen version of Tetris also spelled it as TETЯIS on the boxart, though this alternate spelling did not prevent them getting hammered by Nintendo lawsuit. Those are the two Corporate uses of the character "Я" that most stick out in my mind. There's also a reversed N, "И" sometimes used, and an upside down L, "Г" famously used as Waluigi's symbol (Wario's "W" is an inverted "M" for Mario, likewise Waluigi's "Г" is an inverted "L" for Luigi), and numerous other generally odd looking characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faux_Cyrillic

I've seen other symbols used as well. One of my favorites is a Japanese character that looks like a smiley face: ツ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsu_(kana)

Made famous in this expression with the "derp" emote: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know how to type it either. I've witnessed some other rather elaborate Unicode art in emoticons before but that's getting OT...

• Like 3