IGNORED

Rotating map demo

Asmusr

Ah, hehe!! Thanks for trying though, I got a kick out of seeing it!

An updated Poll Position, or something like it, is one thingI hope to see for the F18A before I kick the bucket. I can imagine the mountains in the distance being an actual digitized image using Tursi's converter. I imagine real smooth action using Rasmus' methods and the speed of the F18A itself. In some ways I bet it would be better than the arcade version of the time. As it is now, it's a real fun game to play, one of my top 5... even with it's present visuals.

Yeah, it's on my list too, either to do or at least see. I also wanted an Afterburner clone - F18A should be able to do it without needing to pre-rotate the sprites like the arcade did. ;) But time is never on my side.

Afterburner.... Dude, YES!

Of course we'll all have a new "Project of the calendar quarter" if you decide to insert code for joystick feedback. I wonder how we would interface something like that.

Here is a good description of how pseudo 3D games like Pole Position or Outrun worked:

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

The F18A has everything we need: The ability to scroll each scanline independently, and palette changes for 'road markings'. But it would be more interesting for me to try if anything more could be accomplished on the old hardware.

• Like 3

Yet another demo - I don't think we have seen anything quite like this on the TI before.

The speed is quite good at 20 FPS, but could it be used for a game?

The speed is quite good at 20 FPS, but could it be used for a game?

Maybe see Vectrex Roli Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDSUsehNGg

Vectrexagon might be a good rotating game for a TIxagon ? (or a more colourfull version ?)

It does look a bit like a racing game, but even Pole Position looks like Full HD in comparison. ;-)

I think the best game for this technique would be a top view racing game where sprites could be used to provide some high res details.

Very nice demo! Are you going to share the ASM sources for this too?

On msx, you can find something very close here

Edited by artrag
  • Like 2

How fast would it be if you port the code to multicolor mode but in half screen ?

I mean a window of 64x24 pixels.

If now you get about 20fps in a 32x24 window, you could try to reach 10fps for a double size window.

I know that I'm running too much, but it could be possible to have a split screen using sprites and the status register.

In the top of the screen one can use screen 2 and define some nice mountains or a static background, in the lower screen one can use multicolor mode and the above rotation engine.

On msx with a similar split screen we had this

Note: the speed and the palette are due to the use of an MSXTR (v9958 and R800)

Edited by artrag

How fast would it be to move the code to multicolor mode but in half screen ?

I mean a window of 64x24 pixels.

If now you get about 20fps in a 32x24 window, you could try to reach 10fps for a double size window.

I wonder, if you only store a single multicolor pixel per byte of the map you won't get a very large map. On the other hand, if you pack two pixels per byte you need to unpack the pixels before you pack the VDP bytes. What if you only rotated groups of 2x1 pixels, then you could send the map byte directly to VDP. Would that look horrible?

Great demo. Didn't someone do a plasma style demo on the ti a while back?

Here you go, plasma for the 9918A:
There are infinite possibilities for the plotted function, but if it becomes very complex the frame rate drops. This demo is using cos((y + phase) / 2) + sin(x + phase) + sin((y - x) * 2 + phase), where phase is incremented each frame.

PLASMA.dsk

plasma.a99

• Like 6

Interestingly, a thread started up in the ColecoVision forum about a Pole Position clone. It's using character graphics for the track (I believe) but although it looks a bit clunky in stills, it moves really well. :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/152019-another-reason-pole-position-shouldve-been-released-for-the-cv/

There's no video on that thread, so I made a short one here (unlisted): https://youtu.be/exmdppBD3iE

I think this shows that frame rate makes up for a lot... and I was thinking the rotating arrow demo really shows what a little anti aliasing can do. Low res is pretty usable. :)

• Like 1