IGNORED

I think I've got Atlantis II; how to make sure it's genuine?

marvinnl

Rainbows and waterfalls? I think it comes down to innocent until proven guilty and common courtesy. Are there a few red flags? Sure, and I would think long and hard before purchasing without further evidence of it being the real deal, but I wouldn't be calling someone out unless I knew for sure. Some people aren't wired like that though, which is fine; the naysayers and conspiracy theorists have probably saved our asses more often than us nice folks would like to admit. I hope it is real and he gets what it is worth. I also hope he keeps up his interest in Atari and becomes a contributing member here. Switzerland out!

• Like 2

Probably because everyone is not mean spirited around here.

I really want to second that. As a new member to this site, I was welcomed with such kindness I come back every day. Just the other day I asked about a vinyl I came across on another forum site (about records) and I was trolled and punched in the gut.

• Like 2

We're not completely cynical, but we have had a few people try to pull a fast one here over the years. But as said, willing to give benefit of the doubt, because if it is a fake, it's a pretty good fake.

If you don't mind weighing the cartridge against a genuine Atlantis original, and possibly opening her up to show the board and chip, I think that would 100% confirm matters.

The only damage I can really see to the label is to the portion which folds over the front face, which isn't unusual for Imagic cartridges. I've seen peeling on several of my own Imagic cartridges, none of which have been opened.

Most of my Imagic carts have the same peel, too.

Most of my Imagic carts have the same peel, too.

I've seen this same peeling on quite a few Imagic carts, and I've seen quite a few Imagic carts. So, I would not read much into that. In fact, if I was trying to hide the fact that I opened up an Atlantis cart, I'd probably make sure the label was glued down well so nobody would even question that. :D

..Al

I've seen this same peeling on quite a few Imagic carts, and I've seen quite a few Imagic carts. So, I would not read much into that. In fact, if I was trying to hide the fact that I opened up an Atlantis cart, I'd probably make sure the label was glued down well so nobody would even question that. :D

..Al

Unless you're really, really clever and you peeled the label to make it look suspicious enough to make people think that it's not suspicious.

;)

Besides the topic in discussion being about authenticity, just so you know there is a Color/BW switch on your 2600 console. By the looks of it you have it in Black and white mode rather then colour by the looks of your screen shot photos ;-). Move the slider switch up and im sure all your games will then be in colour. Just thought id mention that :grin:

Ok I didn't post my red flags in that marketplace but I will here.

I'm sure it is totally legit this came from his uncle in the USA while he lives in the Netherlands and the damage was caused by him and his nephews when they were kids.

Just saying. I mean it is possible a 10 year old has 8 year old nephews who are on a trip together visiting an uncle in the USA playing a super rare Atari game. Completely possible.

What I think is more possible is he is just fishing for info on how people know it is fake vs real.... I generally keep that information private. It's best not to tell scammers how to get better. I learned this back many years ago when I was buying sealed nes and got fakes and the seller wanted to know how I knew.... yeah like I'm going to tell you!

• Like 2

I don't think it's a bad thing to help here. It will be informative to people who are honest, too... I would love to know what the weight of a real Atlantis II is. I love the game when I was a kid.

Here's a guy telling his Atlantis II story:

I don't think it's a bad thing to help here. It will be informative to people who are honest, too... I would love to know what the weight of a real Atlantis II is. I love the game when I was a kid.

Here's a guy telling his Atlantis II story:

We know him, he is a member here. ;)

• Like 1

We know him, he is a member here. ;)

Is he a well known gamer/collector? I love these videos. It's great to hear from the people who were there.

To get back to the thread - It sounds like the only reliable way to verify this is to open it up.

Edited by hizzy

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt where things like this are concerned...mostly because I don't have the kind of cash floating around where I could possibly consider buying something so rare. However, the one red flag for me is that he's been told how to open up the cart without damaging the label (which looks pretty easy to do) and yet we have not seen the insides yet. If the label is already partially lifted from years of wear and tear, then it should be all that much easier to lift up with a hair dryer, right?

Also, that pic of the edge connectors...looked very clean and white. If the label has been messed up from years of use, why does the edge look so clean...especially on a cart type that does not have a retractable guard?

My spidey senses are tingling on this one a little...I hope it truly is the real deal, but something just doesn't feel right, here.

. . . but something just doesn't feel right, here.

Maybe you'll find out in two days that marvinnl is a fake username created by a famous AtariAge member. He'll make a video of himself opening the cart and confetti will shoot out all over the room.