IGNORED

What Are Some of the Best Indie Games?

Over the course of the past generation of consoles (that includes Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and to a lesser extent the Nintendo Wii,) indie games became extremely popular thanks to digital distribution services like Steam and creative initiatives like the Summer of Arcade on XBLA. I think at this point, it's fair to say that Indie games are here to stay. Although I played games like Fez, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Hotline Miami and Bastion, there are several indie games I totally missed. Below, I'll share articles with some of the games I have played in case anyone's interested, but I'm more than open to suggestions and recommendations.And no, I haven't had a chance to check out Stardew Valley yet... I'll try to change that soon though.

Top 10: Best Indie Games (Part I) - Top 10: Best Indie Games (Part II)

post-45416-0-62169400-1459108100_thumb.jpg

Cave Story is nice because it's free... and it's a good game.

Super Meat Boy is superb in it's design.

Lovely planet is Super meat Boy first Person shooter, and one of the best games I've ever Played.

Shovel Knight deserves a mention, just because it's so damned good. It's super well polished, super fun. It's a game a ton of People think "oh Boy, another Retro platformer, I doubt it's as good as People say" and then they Play and go "damn, this really is that good..."

I'll put yatagartasu and Skullgirls as honorable mentions, just because they're competent fighting games, and that's damned hard to make.

QP Shooting Dangerous! is a pretty good bullet hell shooter.

There are probably many others I can't remember now. The question "what are the best indie games" overlaps a lot with "what are the best games?" Besides a couple dozen titles out there, Publishers have almost killed gaming.

I kinda feel People give These indie platformers too Little credit. There are many games out there that are pretty good. the AVGN game is actually well done, N+ is a good game, Oniken is good, Gunman Clive is short and simple but is good and cheap. I won't even get into XBLIG because that Service sucks, but it has many very good games. always online DRM for the whole platform is just too dumb though...

I never played Faster Than Light, but the game got pretty big.

The Binding os Isaac seems to be a first class game.

Making a list of top 10 indie games is actually a very silly Thing. First because indie just means you don't have a Publisher, so it isn#t really a category. And a lot get published anyway, so you might say it's not indie at that Point. But more than that, there are literally more indie games than published games out there, and they are done in all Genres. You can't even put one single indie game to represent each Major genre in a top 10 list. Still it's good to talk about These games, because I think they get too Little good press, and because of the tens of thousands of awful indie games out there People sometimes kinda Keep away, because they don't even know what to go for.

Edit: lol, I forgot Minecraft. It's indie right? even though MS payed what 2 Billion for it? The game is good.

Edited by leods

Over the course of the past generation of consoles (that includes Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and to a lesser extent the Nintendo Wii,) indie games became extremely popular thanks to digital distribution services like Steam and creative initiatives like the Summer of Arcade on XBLA. I think at this point, it's fair to say that Indie games are here to stay. Although I played games like Fez, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Hotline Miami and Bastion, there are several indie games I totally missed. Below, I'll share articles with some of the games I have played in case anyone's interested, but I'm more than open to suggestions and recommendations.And no, I haven't had a chance to check out Stardew Valley yet... I'll try to change that soon though.

Top 10: Best Indie Games (Part I) - Top 10: Best Indie Games (Part II)

attachicon.gifFez (PS4).jpg

Would you mind tagging each game with the platform on which it is available?

[a cost figure would also be great, even if approx]

Axiom Verge is great. Super Wagon Adventure Turbo is a hoot, especially if you grew up with Oregon Trail. Cave Story. Shovel Knight. I really, really liked BabyMaker 2 Extreme on the 360, but I bet I'm on an island, there. I don't really like SMB (mostly 'cause I'm old and poor at it), but it's good for what it is. I am Bread is more fun than Goat Simulator (I prefer Surgeon Simulator to both). Don't Touch Anything was really fun. I'm digging Nuclear Throne. Jamestown is a good shump. Chroma Squad if you dig sentai/Power Rangers. I'm not into 1st person shooters, but Heavy Bullets was a good one. Apotheon. Hotline Miami 1 and 2. Shutshimi. Race the Sun.

Is this a discussion thread, or a way to pimp a YouTube channel?

Hi! I've seen you've left some comments on some of my posts. So I wanted to share an article and I trigger some discussions some people might be interested in. I know this might be a problem for a lot of people from the forums, but I try to be as transparent about it as possible. Although I've shared articles and not YouTube videos here, I've seen some fantastic content from guys like Metal Jesus Rocks, so there's definitely some merit to sharing content. Maybe I'd have heard about him on a different platform later, who knows? But the fact of the matter is, I didn't. He shared an article, I clicked on it, I really liked it and now I watch his videos on a regular basis. Again, when I share something here, I try to do it with a purpose and not just so that people click mindlessly on my links and I become rich and famous (I can guarantee you that's not the case.) I'm more than open to suggestions. Thanks for the comment!

Okay. But I hope you understand the frustration a long time member here might feel upon seeing several "conversation starters" from the same person with off-site links and no apparent effort to add value here. Enough is enough.

I do understand what you mean. But I just want you to know that I've had some compelling discussions with people from the forums with some of the articles I've shared. I think it's important that people like you voice your opinion on the matter and I'll try to make some changes accordingly, but I want you to know that I do put effort in the process of sharing articles. And no, I'm not getting rich on my monetized blog. I started it as a personal project while in college because I love games and since I'm aware that it has some problems, so I'm trying to make improvements all the time. I'm terribly sorry that people like you, who have being users for a long time, have to see people sharing just links, but I do it with the best intentions and I always try to be as transparent as possible. I've been doing this for a while, but I want to improve as much as I can (as a writer, administrator and designer of his own website) and any feedback that anyone can provide is always more than welcome. I'm glad I had this conversation with you and feel free to voice your concerns again whenever you see one of my posts on the forums!

You refer to the article from my site, right? If that's the case, I'll try to do that from now on for new articles. Thanks for the feedback, that's more than helpful!

Yes in the article. I'm "new" to the indie scene in that I don't really check them that often (I do own Limbo though), and I rarely buy them at all, knowing the platform would be helpful if I intend to purchase them.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites is the Binding of Issac along with the Binding of Issac:Rebirth + that now allows official mod support. People have done some really good mods. The Binding of Issac rebirth is even out of iOS for both iPhone or iPad and can even use Game controllers that work via Bluetooth.

In brackets are what I know they're on because that's what I've got them on. Or I just happen to know.

Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U) - Bloody brilliant puzzler/ship systems balancer. Works surprisingly well with one of you flying the ship and the other as the engineer. Was initially a bit short, but they added more levels to it for free that made all that ok. I've completed the game single player, but it's tough!

Limbo (PS3/PS4) & Inside (PS4) - Old school platforming/puzzling with a distinctly dark twist. Both you wish went on longer, but they end so well that I'm not sure that's actually right. I think they're available as a double pack on the PSN store at the moment.

Fast Racing Neo (Wii U) - I cannot for the life of me understand why Nintendo didn't buy into this and re-brand it F-Zero. The best Wipeout style game since the originals.

Gravity Crash (PS3) - Modern day Thrust / Oids. Fiendishly difficult, but awesome. Could be called Thrust 2000.

Resogun (PS3/PS4) - Modern take on Defender. Could be called Defender 2000.

Journey (PS3) - Errrm, you fly and do things... It's kinda hard to describe.

Sine Mora (360/PS3) - Spectacular horizontal shoot-em-up.

Soldner X2 (better than X, more of a refinement of it) (PS3) - Another great Shmup.

Super Stardust HD (PS3) - It's Stardust, but super and in HD ;)

Trine / Trine 2 (PS3/Wii U) - Fantastic side scrolling metroidvania/vikings sort of thing.

Mutant Storm (360 / Mac!) - Kinda like Reactor 2000... Hecticly brilliant 360 degree shooter.

Shadow Complex (360) - Another side on platform-stealther. Really very good indeed.

Trials HD (360) - The best version of Trials IMO. Sort of an ATV Simulator/Excitebike thing.

Moto Heroz (Wii) - Trials if it was a cutesy platformer!

World of Goo (Wii) - Best game on the Wiiware store for a reason.

Lost Winds (Wii) - Platformer with wind!

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2