IGNORED

First (?) demoscene intro for TI-99/4a released

coddy

How did you handle the scrolling text at the bottom, if I may ask? :)

Yes. It is based on this code: http://digitalstratum.com/download/scroller2.html, with some modifications. Horizontal scrolling is a real pain on TI because of lack of hardware scrolling and slow redraws. For games there is a solution to redraw only necessary parts of screen (see development section of this forum), but for text scrolling it is not useless in my opinion.

Underlying ribbon (blue-white-blue) placed in Color Table (gmode 2) once and not redraws while scrolling.

For demoscene are very important two things: traditions and common standards for hardware. Modern expansions and modifications (like F18A, C One, Mega 65 etc.) won't be supported on demoscene (in my opinion).

i'd say it's as much a case of where you can find a reasonably-sized target audience to be honest; the Mega 65 might take off if it builds up enough steam, but somethng like the C One or SuperCPU aren't really common enough.

That said, i've done Apple II and PET previously... =-)

I know only one successful example - ZX Evolution/TS-Conf (and it was successful only because of very specific ZX Spectrum russian demoscene community).

The C64DTV is quieter but there are some impressive releases for it.

So by the impress rule, Tursi's Spaceballs demo would fit in there perfectly. No one thought digitized data from real videos could be played on a TI, but that one demo put a 30-second clip of pure movie madness onto the TI screen. . .from a cartridge.

Straight animations tend to be frowned upon unless there's something clever going on "under the hood" technically such as on-the-fly decompression (Algorhythm getting 2,200 frames of Bad Apple onto one side of disk for the C64 for example) or having a realtime effect applied to what's being played back.

All my software has been back online for about a month. Yeah, "Julius Demo" was intended to be demo-sceney, but it wasn't very /good/. ;) That was '92 or '93.

http://harmlesslion.com/software/julius

This is gorgeous, though, great work! :)

Spaceballs was just a demonstration, though, not demoscene. (And I /still/ haven't seen it on hardware... ;) )

Just another reason to come to the TI Fest WEST :)

• Like 1

Very nice stuff by both coddy and Tursi!! :thumbsup:

many years ago I coded some demos for Amiga. I was not very good, but at least know how to do very basic effect.

I remember that sometimes I dreamed to do an intro for TI99.

Unfortunately, my programming knowledge on the TI is limited to XB, and it is also really old...

But today you realized my dream! :-)

Oh, this looks positively ripe for a contest! :grin:

Who can best blow our minds with their progo skillz with the ultimate "demoscene" for the 'ol TI?

I think a demo content would be great.

For rules I would suggest:

• No restrictions on programming language
  • Must be self-running (no user input by joystick/keyboard allowed - Edit: Except shortcuts to get to the next section)
  • No other restrictions on content
  • Allowed hardware 32K + speech synth only (no F18A, AMS, SID blaster, etc)
  • Max size 512K (disk or cart)
  • Deadline somewhere between 3-6 months (to be decided)
  • Winner decided by (anonymous?) vote on AtariAge

Would anyone else be interested?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it could be a fun contest. Keeping the programming languages 'open' is a bonus for those who prefer one over the other, or want to use a hybrid approach such as XB+assembly.

Or Forth or GPL.

• 9 months later...

Speaking of "Bad Apple," I stumbled across this list by Alex Alex on the YouTube video of the ZX Spectrum rendition. Found the 99/4A in the list and, of course, by whom else would the demo be done??