IGNORED

HSC13 Round 6: Desmond's Dungeon & Nadral

Desmond's Dungeon

and third time lucky at finding a decent bonus game, I've gone for Nadral from Sikor's list :)

desmonds_dungeon.pngnadral.png

Desmond's Dungeon

A hell of a good game, platformer with 2 stages and a lot of fun too. [select]=pause/resume

Play from level 1

Bonus Challenges (Points for top 5 in current standings, and a point for everyone else to go for)

1. highest score on level 1 (both screens in 1 man)

2. highest level reached starting on level 8 (select on the title screen)

3. set new HSC record - Scalak 151,520 :-o

Downloads

Play the version with "English Software" on the title screen (the Creative Sparks version will not let you access all the levels!) - Desmond's Dungeon (1984)(Sparklers)(GB)[a1].XEX from atarionline.pl

This akosoft ATR may be ok too

Page 6 Mag's review

Atarimania - detailed manual

Nadral

One of the games I was never sure about, I wandered around being impressed but then had no idea what to do! I think it's sort of Shamus like, find the keys/doors but I may be wrong, if someone knows the game please post a guide to play! [it is sort of like Shamus!]

Play from level 1

1pt per player - levels complete then score will count.

Downloads

Fandal XEX - [see comments re NTSC]

Atarimania - comments have info

This from Andreas: Nadral, the little flying 'helicopter bird' has to rescue his (similar looking) friend who is hidden behind some doors in the labyrinth. In order to open the doors, you have to find the keys distributed in the labyrinth. When you have opened all doors in a level, you can go to the room with the friend and voila, you can touch him and enter the next level... In the upper levels, the map of the labyrinth is quite complicated :-)

Round ends Sunday 10th April 10pm UK time

Edited by therealbountybob
top secret - ok more info added!

Need to be careful as some versions had different bonus timers too, can't remember which though

Good point, there might be an NTSC issue, if everyone can play the English Software version above we'll see how we go :)

Just had a play, Level 1 Challenge 2,980 and reached Vault 9 (from the start) 54,580 great fun!

post-19705-0-04703000-1459183939_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-43529700-1459183862_thumb.jpg

There's no version numbers on the atarionline xex files, I'm guessing it's the last one?

The last xex on atarionline didn't work. I got stuck on level 11

Sorry looks like online.pl have renamed their files since last time - try Desmond's Dungeon (1984)(Sparklers)(GB)[a1].xex. LOOK FOR "ENGLISH SOFTWARE" ON THE TITLE SCREEN, also allows levels1-8 to be started on from the off.

I played Nadral and was pleasantly surprised, basically it IS Shamus so we'll again score on levels completed before score. The game does let you start on last level reached but play from level 1 "alpha".

I completed level 1 and scored 25,510. I'm not good with mentally mapping games unless I dig out the crayons like I did for Zeppelin!

Hopefully should be plenty to keep everyone busy for this round :) and might be McKong's chance to end the drought :ponder: ;)

Just to make sure everyone knows (because I didn't think to do this before today) make sure your emulator is set to PAL for Nadral. When played in NTSC, You can sometimes go through walls, sometimes items can't be picked up, enemies can't be shot sometimes.

Oh, and my first submission: Desmond's Dungeon: 27,070. Got to dungeon 6.

post-9712-0-07268500-1459353762_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

I just played "Nadral" for the first time under PAL emulation in Altirra. While it seems similar to "Shamus," the fact that you can only shoot left or right makes the game quite a bit different. "Nadral" looks pretty trippy; I really like the weird graphic effects. There are some rather strange creatures roaming these, I guess, caverns. The chomping toilet could well be a renegade from "Manic Miner!"

It's too bad that this game didn't get a proper release anywhere. I wonder if there are German instructions for this game that describe the backstory?

• Like 1

Just to make sure everyone knows (because I didn't think to do this before today) make sure your emulator is set to PAL for Nadral. When played in NTSC, You can sometimes go through walls, sometimes items can't be picked up, enemies can't be shot sometimes.

Thanks for this, I thought it was ok :thumbsup:

I just played "Nadral" for the first time under PAL emulation in Altirra. While it seems similar to "Shamus," the fact that you can only shoot left or right makes the game quite a bit different. "Nadral" looks pretty trippy; I really like the weird graphic effects. There are some rather strange creatures roaming these, I guess, caverns. The chomping toilet could well be a renegade from "Manic Miner!"

It's too bad that this game didn't get a proper release anywhere. I wonder if there are German instructions for this game that describe the backstory?

I'm hoping it gets more challenging re the A.I. and light posts as the levels progress :)

Improved quite a bit on Desmond: 81,780. Vault 11

Level 1 Challenge: 3080.

I need to step away from this one for a bit. Time for some Nadral, I suppose. :)

Was that on NTSC? (if so the bonus/timers are ok) :thumbsup:

Challenge 2 Vault 15 92980

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Improved by a massive 10pts on Challenge 1: 2,990

and made it thorough to Vault 11: 71,760

DD Tips:

1. lure the Baron's bombs away to the side of you.

2. Wait for him to go up before passing him on the top row.

3. On the higher levels allow your power to re-charge before tackling the Vaults

post-19705-0-55492300-1459601241_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-01282400-1459601244_thumb.jpg

first tables

Desmond's Dungeon

1st McKong (p) 109,950 12pts
2nd Deteacher (n) 81,780 11pts
3rd therealbountybob (p) 71,760 10pts
4th Sikor (p) 12,010 9pts
5th spookt (p) 7,200 8pts
6th jblenkle (n) 5,690 7pts

Challenge 1 - Level 1 Highest Score in 1 man

1st Deteacher (n) 3,080 1pt
2nd McKong (p) 3,010
3rd therealbountybob (p) 2,990
4th Sikor (p) 2,930

Challenge 2 - Starting on Level 8 Highest Level reached

1st McKong (p) Level 15 (92,980) 1pt

Nadral

1st therealbountybob (p) 25,510 Level 2 1pt

New Poll starts tomorrow - anyone screaming at me?

Current Standings Updated

Round 7 Poll OPEN

I was going to put the awesome Warhawk on the list but it is not NTSC compatible - there is a growing list of great games you guys in the states are missing out on so get a PAL system or try on emulation: Warhawk, Zone X and Electra Glide for starters :thumbsup:

(Sikor you can add a replacement game to your games list as you wish :)

there is a growing list of great games you guys in the states are missing out on so get a PAL system or try on emulation: Warhawk, Zone X and Electra Glide for starters

I still prefer real hardware to emulation, but the main reason I prefer it has changed. Nowadays, real hardware is my main method of playing games due to how the picture looks. These classic Atari games were meant to be played on CRT TVs. The murkiness of the picture, which I used to always want to do away with, has turned out to be part of the appeal and accuracy of the older game consoles and computers. Under emulation, you get a screen full of hard-edged pixels. On a real TV, the pixels sort of merge and soften at the edges which makes the games look, I don't know, just, well... better. Am I making sense here?

Atari 8-Bit emulation has come a very long way since I first encountered it in the mid-to-late 90s. Back then, the only emulator that I was aware of was Xformer-- and I think that was a commercial product. That emulator was finicky, at best, and I probably cheered when the Atari800Win emulator arrived on the scene. Now we have Altrirra, which is my favorite emulator of any platform. Altirra has me spoiled.

It interesting to note that PAL games that work 100% correctly under NTSC still have timing issues that are built right into them. Some of these timing issue can really affect gameplay. I've learned, right here in the Atari HSC, that these PAL games play best in, you guessed it, PAL mode. Now, if a game is PAL, then I might give it a try on my real NTSC hardware, but I prefer to play it as the author intended it to be played, on a PAL system. That means I use use PAL emulation. So.. thank you so much to all the emulator authors for their hard work and dedication to platforms that might have otherwise passed only into memory.

Adam

• Like 1

Current Standings Updated

Round 7 Poll OPEN

I was going to put the awesome Warhawk on the list but it is not NTSC compatible - there is a growing list of great games you guys in the states are missing out on so get a PAL system or try on emulation: Warhawk, Zone X and Electra Glide for starters :thumbsup:

(Sikor you can add a replacement game to your games list as you wish :)

One day we will have my ATARI UK round ;-)

• Like 1