IGNORED

What could my next STE hardware project be?

6 layers, damn that must have taken some late nights and headscratching!

Yeah, I think there was 4 versions of the V2 board before the final one. First 2 layers, then another 2 layers, then 4 layers, then 6 layers. I'm working on a new booster with IDE and alt-ram onboard, thankfully Rodolphe is double checking my schematic and found some silly mistakes, so hopefully will only need 1 prototype this time :)

Wow, that's a lot of work. i need to pull my STF apart i think, see what's under the hood, ot could be a good candidate for one of your boosters.

Cool :) I'm building up the last batch of V2 currently. I started out trying to do a STE version but got distracted with adding IDE and alt-ram on there. If you are on facebook I am posting snippets of info on the ST group as to what I am doing currently.

Cool :) I'm building up the last batch of V2 currently. I started out trying to do a STE version but got distracted with adding IDE and alt-ram on there. If you are on facebook I am posting snippets of info on the ST group as to what I am doing currently.

Can you remind me of the facebook group name please :)

So, plans for tinkering with SCART/HDMI adapter with my STE have been nixed this weekend due to the arrival of a couple of foster dogs :-o

Hopefully we'll only have them a week, then I'm on holiday first week of May, so with a bit of luck I can get to tinkering next weekend or the following week ;-)

• Like 1

Chris, I added in a 47uf capacitor to the STE today, and even on the hi res display, shadowing is a little improved, but the main issue is interference from the background pattern, possibly refresh related. I'm about to build a SCART lead, and will also try the rf out, but do you have any thoughts on the hi res flicker?

Changing to a pure black background stopped the flickering Chris, so it's definitely related to the background pattern, though I can still see a small amount of banding across the screen, much like the old 8 bit Atari's.

On another note, I've moved forward a bit with my scart cable build, hoping to finish by this weekend and if all is good I will test with the scart to HDMI adapter, which works nicely with some of my other kit. Then I can look at how I can interface with the STE internally.

Those damn 13 pin plugs are buggers to solder though, especially with no cup on the pin end for the wires.

Yeah the plus I hate soldering them also.

Banding issues might be noise on your cable. I did a lot of work on noise a few months back. The only way to really cure it is to add some inline resistors and capacitors on the lines to stablise them. Though its not really a cure by far as it blurs the image also. Also make sure you use individual screened cable as the cable itself can generate crosstalk between signals.

Yeah the plus I hate soldering them also.

Banding issues might be noise on your cable. I did a lot of work on noise a few months back. The only way to really cure it is to add some inline resistors and capacitors on the lines to stablise them. Though its not really a cure by far as it blurs the image also. Also make sure you use individual screened cable as the cable itself can generate crosstalk between signals.

The Mono VGA cable I bought, but I'll have a look to see if there is space for inline resistors. The scart cable I'm building does have inline resistors :)

I'll let you know what happens.

Another thought here, has anybody tried to build an ST clone out of a case and a raspberry Pi?

I was thinking it might be possible to interface the ST keyboard via the GPIO interface on the Pi, or maybe transplant modern keyboard electronics into the ST item.

I have a couple of spare Pi atm, so may look into it, though I'm considering a CosmoEx, so one Pi may get used :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...