IGNORED

SGM - This is how to do it...

Trebor

So...I received my SGM in the mail yesterday...What do I think of it?

Circa 1999, a pristine ColecoVision, boxed, caught my eye at a yard sale. Upon seeing it, I was nearly giddy. The box was in like-new condition. My thoughts at the time included I would never come across a ColecoVision console, with box and all inserts, in such excellent condition ever again. It almost felt like I was buying it new from a store.

Anyhow, I cut open the shipping box, thinking at first, the SGM sure is bigger than I thought it would be, but I was mistaken. It was actually packaged -that- well. A sturdy box nearly twice the size of the SGM box, shipped Priority 2-day, surrounded and cushioned in rolled up papers, and one final layer of protection, by placing the SGM box inside a plastic bag.

Took the SGM box outside of its package tomb...And wow. *This* is how to manufacture and produce a classic gaming hardware product. One could almost believe the year is sometime between 1984-85, if things would have went different historically, and the box is the real deal. "Real deal" as in produced by Coleco, a couple to a few years after the release of their console. I mean every detail just screams authentic.

Carefully flipping the necessary tab in the center to reveal the prize inside, I carefully slide out the Styrofoam...What's this…a manual?!? But wait, it's not just any manual, sure including 'any manual' is great, but it's like a freaking 1982-83 Coleco manual...No I don't mean like, it *is*.

Go ahead, try to prove differently. The font, the logo, even the hotline number listed, the layout is perfect. It looks, reads, and feels like it was designed 30+ years ago, but brand new today...Great job!

I almost (and I do mean *almost*) get so wrapped up in the manual and carefully flipping through its pages, I forget about the crown jewel encased in the Styrofoam bed. I pick up one half of the Styrofoam case, and yet another layer of plastic is present, and then, contained inside, is the SGM.

Pardon this slight tangent, but I did have a small moment thinking about the [bootleg] module; absolutely thrilled and happy that I waited it out. This is a genuine authentic Louisville Slugger, not some Whiffle Bat trying to be something it may strive to, but fail to, truly achieve.

The Super Game Module shows clear and abundant evidence that a tremendous amount of time and effort was put forth regarding attention to detail. It's solid, well crafted, and appears like it came from a major manufacturer/distributor.

I knew it would be great, just didn't expect this level of greatness or awesomeness. Thanks to Opcode for bringing some quality gaming hardware to the ColecoVision platform...And making me nearly giddy towards the ColecoVision again.

post-18-0-61105600-1459533380_thumb.pngpost-18-0-92461100-1459534117_thumb.pngpost-18-0-16273100-1459534122_thumb.png

post-18-0-52913400-1459534120_thumb.pngpost-18-0-22130900-1459544242_thumb.pngpost-18-0-26052900-1459544243_thumb.png

• Like 13

Glad you liked your SGM. The best is yet to come! :D

The side flap really caught my attention for one game specifically...Phoenix.

There has not been a port of Phoenix since the 2600. Sure, the C64 has Eagle Empire, but 2600 Phoenix plays better. Phoenix would truly be a stand-out on the ColecoVision. Really looking forward to seeing that one; whenever it may be developed and released. :)

• Like 1

I tried making Phoenix for Colecovision, but there's way too many things to figure out. Like transferring char to a sprite, UFO stage, collusion detection with the big phoenix stage and their movement. I changed the title and sprites to Firebird, since I wouldn't get heat about not matching it up to the arcade version. The small bird are all sprites. The small bird movements and it returns to it spot working, collusion, sprite flickering. 4 enemy shot with 2 player shot against up to 12 birds. Speed up when there's less small phoenix on screen. And 200 points for shooting the small birds in the back routine. Last time I worked on, I was working on figuring out the big phoenix stage to working on collusion. Also, the UFO stage I need to figure out how to descend that UFO slowly while you shoot pieces by pieces.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Everything that has been said before and then some. I usually don't care about packaging (usually selecting the "cart only" option for homebrews when available), but the slavish fidelity to the time period here is nothing short of astonishing.

Now that I have that out of the way, I was wondering if there are any ROMs available for sale of SGM games which are now out of print. I am especially interested in playing Goonies now that I have an SGM.

Easy... one or more people that order all the games and are friends with him.

It's sad how everything has worked out with this guy because he could have been a big contributor to the scene instead of becoming the cancer that he is now.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to say that I don't offer the ROMs of any Team Pixelboy SGM titles. You'll have to purchase the real carts.

OK, thanks for letting me know. I only asked because I prefer to play games off my SD cart. I will PM you to inquire about SGM games I want to purchase when I decide which titles to buy.

Now that there is a guy that steals and reproduces things to try and ruin everyone here, I think it pretty much guarantees that you will never see anyone ever sell just a Rom even though no one ever really wanted to in the colecovision scene..

How did the guy get all the roms? I can't imagine he bought each one.

Easy... one or more people that order all the games and are friends with him.

It's sad how everything has worked out with this guy because he could have been a big contributor to the scene instead of becoming the cancer that he is now.

He is very talented it seems but has a few issues obviously. I have still been reporting auctions - hope others do the same.

So I come back to this thread a couple of days after my post and find these updates which I don't think are aimed at me, and yet I cannot seem to find anybody else in this thread at whom they might be targeted. As somebody who buys homebrews for several systems (including LIght Grid Racing and Mr. Turtle, for example), I was dumbfounded by the apparent umbrage. I am happy to clear any confusion if these statements were directed at me, and will do so amicably.