IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 26 is up!

In this episode we review the Mattel Electronics game Masters Of The Universe - The Power Of He-Man. We have an interview with the two programmers responsible for the game; Rick Koenig and Ray Kaestner. Keith Robinson makes a special appearance to discuss the Intellivision Game Club and Newsletter, and we have our usual Feedback, News and George.

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-26-masters-of-the-universe-the-power-of-he-man/

• Like 5

The Chameleon sequence in #26 is one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a game podcast. I was laughing so hard, I couldn't breathe by the end. My compliments. :)

Thanks, Chris! We had a lot to [not] say about it!

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

This was a good episode. I had always thought APh was involved with the early Mattel handhelds so the Rockwell stuff was interesting. Here's some more stuff on that.

Rockwell: http://www.digitpress.com/library/interviews/interview_mark_lesser.html

APh: http://www.2600connection.com/interviews/david_rolfe/interview_david_rolfe.html

Edit: fixed links

Edited by mr_me

This was a good episode. I had always thought APh was involved with the early Mattel handhelds so the Rockwell stuff was interesting. Here's some more stuff on that.

http://www.digitpress.com/library/interviews/interview_mark_lesser.html (Rockwell)

http://www.2600connection.com/interviews/david_rolfe/interview_david_rolfe.html(APh)

Thanks, mr_me.

Based on conversations I've had with David Rolfe and Keith Robinson, I was under the impression the handhelds were originally an APh product. I was surprised to hear Rockwell was involved.. But then again, I remember the first digital calculator my father had in the '70s (with those ultra-bright glowing red digits!), and that was made by Rockwell, so it certainly makes sense.

The link in the show notes to the "Intellivision Productions website for game club" shows I won the December Trivia Contest! Wonder where my Intellivision deck of playing cards is. Maybe they sent it to Eric?

Did they ever contact you about it? I can ask Keith.

The other thing I liked hearing about was Ray Kaestner's Doubles Tennis. He says he took the original Tennis and added two more players and a computer player but doesn't know what happened to it. IntellivisionLives.com says the project was sent to Mattel France for completion. Unfortunately that version is completely different. I wonder what happened or did Ray Kaestner actually rewrite the game and was released as "Championship Tennis" and doesn't know about its release.

The other thing I liked hearing about was Ray Kaestner's Doubles Tennis. He says he took the original Tennis and added two more players and a computer player but doesn't know what happened to it. IntellivisionLives.com says the project was sent to Mattel France for completion. Unfortunately that version is completely different. I wonder what happened or did Ray Kaestner actually rewrite the game and was released as "Championship Tennis" and doesn't know about its release.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what happened with that either. Sounds like another question for Keith.

Did they ever contact you about it? I can ask Keith.

I happened to win one of those, too -- just about the time I.P. announced that you could by Flashback controllers. When I ordered those, I added in the notes that I'd won something and they kindly included the prize w/ the controller order.

The link in the show notes to the "Intellivision Productions website for game club" shows I won the December Trivia Contest! Wonder where my Intellivision deck of playing cards is. Maybe they sent it to Eric?

They appear a bit slow sending stuff out as I won a Christmas ball in the November trivia contest which has not yet turned up.

I sent a couple of polite emails inquiring if it had been sent but did not get any reply back.

They appear a bit slow sending stuff out as I won a Christmas ball in the November trivia contest which has not yet turned up.

I sent a couple of polite emails inquiring if it had been sent but did not get any reply back.

Yeah, when it took months to receive the overlays I actually paid for, I didn't expect to receive something free anytime soon.

Great episode. Hearing all that He-Man music brought me back, as I was the prime age for the cartoon and the toys -- 7 and 8 when it originaly aired. Boy, I had a ton of stuff -- most of the action figures, Castle Grayskull, the Wind Raider, the Attack Track (that was the coolest thing!) and other stuff. Had some He-Man stuff for my room also like bed sheets. I wish I still had the action figures, but sadly that stuff was gotten rid off a long time ago. I have the cartoon on DVD and watch it now and then -- I think it holds up pretty well, despite the animation used in it.

The Atari 2600 port is worth playing also -- I agree the Intelivision one looks and sounds better, but I think the 2600 one plays a bit better.

And it was great hearing Rick do that 'dramatic reading' of the comic included. ;) For the record, the comics were included with the action figures also, and the one that was used with the game was included in some of the figures also.

Boy, I bet you guys feel foolish mocking the Chamelon when IT'S BACK again in the news! :D Cool skit, though. :)

• Like 1

The Atari 2600 port is worth playing also -- I agree the Intelivision one looks and sounds better, but I think the 2600 one plays a bit better.

And it was great hearing Rick do that 'dramatic reading' of the comic included. ;) For the record, the comics were included with the action figures also, and the one that was used with the game was included in some of the figures also.

Boy, I bet you guys feel foolish mocking the Chamelon when IT'S BACK again in the news! :D Cool skit, though. :)

I haven't tried the 2600 version yet, but I will, as it looks pretty decent.

Yes, don't be surprised if Rick gets hired away by Books On Tape soon!

As for the Chameleon... We weren't really mocking it. In fact we never really said anything of substance ABOUT it - there were too many 'interruptions'!