IGNORED

Terrifying Survival Horror Games

The survival horror genre has always been popular, but ever since everyone on YouTube started making videos of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, there was a resurgence. This renewed popularity encouraged developers to make some fantastic games like Alan Wake, Outlast, The Last of Us and Dead Space. But even before Amnesia, there were some amazing survival horror games like Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill, Undying, Eternal Darkness and System Shock. I like that idea of exploring tense environments, scavenging for ammunition, fighting horrifying bosses and solving puzzles from time to time because that's part of what makes the genre so appealing. So what are your favorite survival horror games? And what's your favorite part about them?

I'll leave a link below in case anyone would like to read a description for the games I just mentioned.

Top 10: Best Survival Horror Games (Part I) - Top 10: Survival Horror Games (Part II)

post-45416-0-54426500-1460060009_thumb.jpg

To be fair other members post whenever they add a video to their Youtube channel. At least it's not another Coleco Chameleon thread.

Yeah but it is not the MAJORITY of members posts here, these almost come off as a very specific agenda, it's getting annoying, to be "fair" :P .

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Splatterhouse for the Turbo Grafx 16 gets my nod. The music is fantastic and a great haunting theme to it.

Have the newer version for the PS3, but not as spooky as the originals somehow. Guess the original two are in the PS3 version, but need to be unlocked. I'll probably never get around to doing that. lol

• Like 1

Yeah but it is not the MAJORITY of members posts here, these almost come off as a very specific agenda, it's getting annoying, to be "fair" :P .

I understand that sharing links can be annoying, especially for people who have been members for a long time. That said, whenever I start a new thread, I try to make the links secondary. In this case, for instance, I mentioned most of the games from the articles so no one feels forced to click on any links. I feel that in cases like this one, the links add something for people who would like to hear my personal opinion or would like to read a short extract about the games mentioned.

Clock Tower for the SNES was a surprisingly well done survival horror game. With multiple endings and various surprises at every corner, I'd highly recommend it. The sequel for the PS1 (also titled 'Clock Tower') is quite good too.

I also liked Obscure 2 for the PS2- enjoyable game mechanics and you genuinely want to know what happens to the characters. Commendable soundtrack as well. Forbidden Siren 2 is also a good one, albeit a bit complicated to play.

Deep Fear for the Sega Saturn is also a favorite of mine. It's more action oriented- not truly terrifying, but the soundtrack is incredibly cinematic and it gets you emotionally attached to the characters. And, of course, Resident Evil 1 and 2 has some decent jump scares.

Splatterhouse for the Turbo Grafx 16 gets my nod. The music is fantastic and a great haunting theme to it.

I've never played the original, but I did play through Splatterhouse 3 on an emulator. It's a stunning game - pretty simple and repetitive, but so beautifully brutal! And those cutscenes can be really disturbing...I'm sorry Jennifer, I couldn't save you!

No love for Sweet Home for the Famicom?

I'm actually playing this right now! I'm still early on, but it's already done a great job of establishing the creep factor. From what I gather, this is the 8-bit granddaddy of Resident Evil, which I'm keen on playing sometime soon, too - although Resident Evil 4 is sitting in my local game shop for $15, and unless I act fast, it might get sniped!

I'm very, very interested in the horror genre. The thing is, unlike horror movies, horror games posit the player directly in the middle of the fright. The fear doesn't come from empathy with the main character, it comes from actually being there, since you are the main character. I'm really fascinated by how games, new and old, manage this effect, and it kind of saddens me that so much "horror" nowadays is just "action shooter that is darker than average." But then again, you can't really make big bucks on games with the sole purpose of disempowering and discomforting the player - but does a game need to be "fun" to be "good?" I don't think so.

Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, and The Evil Within were the first 3 that popped in my head =)

Fatal Frame as well.

The PT (silent hill) demo for Ps4 was incredibly unnerving, a bummer it will never be finished =(

As a kid growing up even though technically a puzzle game, The 7th Guest on PC would scare me when I was little, haunting music, big dark mansion lol, those were the days haha

I dread (no pun intended) to think just how much in terms of cash and hours spent on....horror games, i've invested over the years.

Resident Evil 1-6, plus Revelations 1+2 (both poor)....
Silent Hill 1-3, The Room, Origins, Homecoming, Shattered M. etc
Fatal Frame 1+2.
Alone In The Dark (various, last being the awful PS3/360 game)
Cold Fear, Obscure 1+2, Illbleed, Carrier, Fear 1-3 (plus Fear Files), Undying, System Shock 2, Hydrophobia, Alan Wake, Deep Fear, I Am Alive, SOS, Eternal Darkness, The Thing, Dead Space 1-3, Call of Cthulhu and so on and so on.
Faced threat of Living Dead, lack of water, air, too much water, the cold...... you name it.
Developers constantly trying new scare tactics, but so few actually manage to create that essential atmosphere and have you on the edge of your set, sadly.

I'm very, very interested in the horror genre. The thing is, unlike horror movies, horror games posit the player directly in the middle of the fright. The fear doesn't come from empathy with the main character, it comes from actually being there, since you are the main character. I'm really fascinated by how games, new and old, manage this effect, and it kind of saddens me that so much "horror" nowadays is just "action shooter that is darker than average." But then again, you can't really make big bucks on games with the sole purpose of disempowering and discomforting the player - but does a game need to be "fun" to be "good?" I don't think so.

Horror nowaday for big studios is "Call of Zombie" and "Medal of Monsters" games, and independant games fall so much in the trope of "flashlight and scarejumps".

The problem is that IMO people mistake "horror game" for anything that is scary, or shocking, or horror-themed.

Even gamers are guilty of this. Even retrogamers.

The simplest exampel to me is "do you call Ghost n Gobliins or Castlevania games horror games? No. They are horror THEMED, but they are platformers.

All the games genres have been named after what they do, not what they are themed.

Platformers feature jumping skills, adventure feature exploration and usually item use and management, role-play games feature character customization and evolution.

And suddently, we hear that horro games are horror THEMED.

Nope. I disagree.

Whem I pick up an "horror" game, I expect a few things : that the game is going to put me in a unsettling place. That it's going to make the normal scary. That it's going to try to twist my brain. That I'm going to want to hide in a closet when a monster come.

No, sitting behind a desk and watching cameras isn't horror. It's a great recipe to make you on the edge, and get you ready for jumpscares, but it's NOT horror. (I'm talking about FNAF). It's a great puzzle reflexes game, with a scare-inducing theme - but you can just turn FNAF into a game with lights and buzzing sounds, and it will work the same.

You can take Castlevania graphics and replace them with Contra games, you'll have Contra.

Put Silent Hill and replace the graphics sith WWII themed stuff?

It does NOT work.

Because it isn't the same thing.

Nowaday, when I wanna talk about those games, I use the words "psychological horror" (even if for me, it will always be survival-horror) so people understand that I don't talk about "Call of Zombies".

And about that, I'm testing some indie/amateur games that have some interesting gameplay features.

One I liked is Bunker 16. It's about claustrophobia. It's very effective and scary, and there isn't any monster in it. It's all about getting into the game story and letting it lead you where it want you to be and feel.

http://gamejolt.com/games/bunker16/24718

You should be able to complete in in 20 minutes, but the idea in this game (which is more of an interactive nattarive story thing) is good and never been used a lot.

One other I saw and is goigng to explore in "the train".

It use a mechanism that we have all tried, but that was never used ever in a video game : the child defense against the monster in the dark of "closing your eyes".

http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-train

Yep, some part of it require you to close your eyes and hope for the best! How awesome is that idea heh?