87 replies to this topic

#76 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 629 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:00 AM

Hi,

yes, made some new pieces. You got a PM.

BR Jurgen

#77 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,084 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 PM

Does Syscheck do anything else apart from RAM and ROM testing ?

Does it test any of the VLSI's in some way ?

#78 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 629 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 PM

Does Syscheck do anything else apart from RAM and ROM testing ?
Does it test any of the VLSI's in some way ?

At this time it tests only main memory and O.S. ROM. I´m working on the 1.5 firmware with has a deep RAM test with test for all thinkable RAM issues included. BASIC ROM will be tested, too. And maybe I can also finish the testing of expanded memory.

Other, by owners loved features are the external 512 KB memory expansion without any soldering and the external O.S. switcher - you can flash your own operating system into Sys-Check´s flash chip and use it like an internal existing O.S. ROM.

BR Jurgen

#79 Chongo Chile OFFLINE  

Chongo Chile

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 PM

Sys.Check is a greeat product !!!

If you like to repair Ataris, it is a must have in your Atari toolbox.

I uploaded a video repairing a 800XL with Sys-Check V2.2, and its take 1/8 of the regular time.

https://www.youtube....C7u-_3QKg&t=14s

#80 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

River Patroller

• 2,084 posts

Posted Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 PM

Yeah that's a great feature that it indicates which chip is dead.

You could say, replace all RAM because they are all mT brand, which are infamous enough....but on the other hand, I have a fully working 130XE with mT's and I see no reason to replace them all just because....as long as they work.....that's fine with me :)

The other 130XE board I recently repaired had ALL RAM chips dead. I'm pretty sure it has either experienced a Commodore power supply OR an Atari supply that went bad and supplied 10V or so..... replacing all the RAM fixed the board though so that was great.

Edited by Level42, Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 PM.

#81 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,212 posts

Posted Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 PM

I just got one of these bad boys a few weeks ago, I haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it when I have the time. I have an 800XL to repair. I'm still planning on getting a Super Salt cartridge too, for my 1200XL's (except the one with a PBI mod, but it's only half installed ATM). Looking forward to the firmware update!

Edited by Gunstar, Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 PM.

#82 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 629 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:49 AM

Hi,

just a little note, I´ve updated the manual (no new firmware at this day - sorry).

I correct some very little mistakes in the manual and remove the warning about usage Sys-Check with internal memory expansions.

Thanks to the people who remind me ;-)

Jurgen

Attached Files

#83 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 AM

I picked up my SYS-CHECK at the Post Office yesterday. This thing is fantastic!

First thing that I did was to run the diagnostic tool. Not that I had any real concerns about my 800XL but it's nice to have a confirmation that everything is running AOK anyway. Plus, this will be a great resource for when I eventually do pick up a second XL system that I have long talked about but have never actually gotten around to.

Mostly, however, I will be using the SYS-CHECK device as an external extended RAM card. I was pretty bummed that I missed out in getting the 320XL RAM expansion module that was sold in the earlier 2010s. Well, other than a pretty casing, the SYS-CHECK card does everything that device did and more! It's pretty awesome to see my Atari now running 576K without the need for any internal modifications. If I ever do get a second machine I will probably tinker around with that but my current XL is the same one that I have had since early 1985; it has always been faithful to me and I have been reluctant to mess around with its innards very much. Luckily, now I don't have to! First I ran an extended memory check and then I loaded up "Stunt Car Racer". So great to be able to play this game on my real hardware! I had the day off from work so I spent the rest of the afternoon testing out a bunch of other extended memory games that I've been missing out on. 

Edited by SS, Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 AM.

#84 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 PM

Would pin #10 of the SIO port work just as well as pin #7 of the joystick port to plug the SYS-CHECK power cord into?  I assume so but would like a second opinion before I go mucking something up. 

#85 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Dragonstomper

• 852 posts

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 PM

Would pin #10 of the SIO port work just as well as pin #7 of the joystick port to plug the SYS-CHECK power cord into?  I assume so but would like a second opinion before I go mucking something up. 

I did exactly this a few weeks ago, and it worked just fine. (I needed both joystick ports) 5 volts is 5 volts. Only concern I had is that the SIO pins are a bit larger than the joystick port pins, so I was worried about loosening up the connector and it not being secure on joystick pins in the future...

It gave me incentive to add +5V to the PBI connector of that machine after that. Speaking of that - I wired it from Vcc pin of the nearby BASIC ROM, I'm curious if anyone recommends a better place to pull it from.

Edited by Nezgar, Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:33 PM.

#86 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 629 posts

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:20 AM

It gave me incentive to add +5V to the PBI connector of that machine after that. Speaking of that - I wired it from Vcc pin of the nearby BASIC ROM, I'm curious if anyone recommends a better place to pull it from.

I always use the upper side of the capacitor left beside the cartridge port, because it´s closer to the power jack than the OS-ROM / BASIC-ROM. But by default this shouldn´t make any difference.

Look here for an example...

#87 MonsterSky OFFLINE  

MonsterSky

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:59 PM

Hello Jurgen, do you have any SysCheck available to purchase?

Thank you.

#88 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 629 posts

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:29 PM

Hello Jurgen, do you have any SysCheck available to purchase?

Thank you.

PM sent :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users