IGNORED

ADAM/ColecoVision Combo box - Questions about selling it

c13h18n2

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forums, found it yesterday, what an awesome resource!

So, a couple years ago, a lady that worked at my company was getting rid of some of her deceased husband's things. She had an ADAM/CV and I decided to give her $20 for it, not really knowing much about it other than kind of what it was and that it was probably worth more than $20, if it worked. Well, she wasn't kidding when she said it was a big box! I can confirm it's about 50lbs, at least. I wanted to play around with programming it and maybe show it off to some friends, but it's ended up sitting all by it's self in my storage room for the last couple years.

Anyway, I decided it's best to see if I can't sell the thing. After looking around, pretty fruitlessly, I found one reference from like 4 or 5 years ago on this forum saying it was probably worth $350-$400 and others saying it could go much higher.

So, My first concern/question is testing it. I don't have a T.V. to plug it into, but I'd at least like to fire it up and make sure it at least does that, but I have some concerns regarding the procedure. From what I understand these things can be finicky.

Secondly, what would be the best means of selling it and how much should I expect to get for it?

It appears that everything is present and in good shape, in the original (unsealed packaging). The games are not packaged, books are all in good shape. The original plastic packaging is present, as well, but opened obviously.

Game cartridges included:

- SwordQuest: Earthworld

- BlackJack/Poker

- War Games

- Mouse Trap

- Trick Shot

- Frogger x2

- Enduro

- GORF

- Zaxxon

- Donkey Kong

- Subproc

- Omega Race

- Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man

Also, Buck Rogers (ADAM Super Game Pack)

Extra data tape 1 contents (untitled):

- Word Pros

- Letter/Story

- Resume

- IBM Server

- NAIMY

Extra data tape 2 contents (Untitled):

- Cone

- Renegade Robot

- Holiday Note

- Thief Puzzle

- Icecream

- Robot

- Holiday

- Thief

There are 4 original volumes to the ADAM Home Software Library, including SmartBasic and an additional bootlegged version of Library Games & Graphics (maybe the original stopped working?).

Extra daisy wheel and replacement ribbon are there, too.

post-46226-0-05803500-1460310004_thumb.jpg

post-46226-0-62534500-1460310009_thumb.jpg

Edited by c13h18n2

I don't think I've ever seen that particular combination packaging as an all-in-one like that. It seems to be both a ColecoVision and the ADAM Expansion #3 to attach to the base ColecoVision unit. Is that correct? Usually, it's one or the other boxed separately, not both together like that.

I think the person you want to ask (or hope notices this thread) is NIAD. He has greater familiarity with the ADAM side of Coleco things.

Shipping is going to be beastly if the intent to retain its current condition as best as possible, though.

Despite my efforts, I'm honestly a little confused, my self. I think the story is that they had surplus exp #3's, so they figured they could bundle them together. It is the stand alone game system with computer and printer, from what I understand.

I just found this video:

Edited by c13h18n2
  • Like 1

Yes, the box contains a stand alone Colecovision and stand alone Adam (not the expansion module version) and the story goes they were bundled like this due to excess stock. I own the one in the video above which I bought from Joe some years ago and yes the box is HUGE and HEAVY! This box version is pretty rare, so 20 bucks ... yeah I'd say you got a deal ;) As far as price goes, you never know on Ebay these days. The one pictured is in pretty rough shape and many of those items are loose cart. Also, shipping on that thing is gana be expensive. For sure NIAD could tell you more.

Edited by ValkerieSilk

I'm hoping the lighting made it look more rough than it is. I've started unpacking everything. This unit and the games, etc. we're clearly out of the box for some time. I'm gonna clean it up a little and take some better pics I'll need for selling it, anyway. In the mean time, I really appreciate the responses so far.

Any advice on powering it up?

The Combo E.M. #3 ADAM and ColecoVision package that you have there is the rarest of the three ADAM packages that Coleco sold and even if the system has issues, you absolutely stole it for $20. I seem to recall that they first time this package configuration came to light on this forum was when playzclub shared pictures on his and it came as a complete surprise to everyone... even for us long time CV and ADAM fans/collectors. I think this is the fourth combo package that is confirmed to exist and I seem to recall a mint/working one selling for something like $750. It's extremely hard to place a value on rare items like this because when they go up for sale/auction, because of the rarity, the auction can take on a life of it's own, but $500 would be a reasonable price if everything is working.

Now as far as testing the system, if you have a TV with a coaxial hookup (all TV from the 1980s on have one), all you have to do is buy a Coaxial-to-RF Cable Adapter at any electronics store for a couple dollars to hookup the RF Cable from the back of the CV to the TV. Word to the wise here is to make every effort to test the system fully and full disclosure otherwise everyone will assume that you are either too lazy to test it properly or that the system is not working properly.

I would recommend first testing the ColecoVision system by itself assuming you have the large black power transformer included with the CV in it's styrofoam packing trays. Just plug the power transformer into the back of the CV, set the channel 3/4 switch to the appropriate option, plug the controllers in, connect the RF cable to the CV and TV, tune the TV to the appropriate channel and turn on the CV. You should see the CV Bios screen which will inform you to turn off the system and insert a cartridge. If all is working, do so but make sure you plug in a CV cartridge as you have some Atari 2600 carts listed... just use Donkey Kong. If all is working, then you can start the process of testing the ADAM.

To hookup the ADAM, unplug the CV power transformer and put it away... the power supply is in the ADAM Printer for everything. Connect the EM#3 Memory Console to the CV, connect the Keyboard to the Memory Console and then the beige cord from the Printer to the 9 pin connector on the side of the Memory Console and black cord to your power outlet. Turn on the Adam with the power switch on the back of the printer and the Word Processor screen should come up.

The carts and data pack software won't add much value at all to the overall package.

If you can strike up a deal on here, that's always much easier than dealing with eBay... but a bidding war on eBay would probably garner you a better sale price.

Good luck with testing.

The Combo E.M. #3 ADAM and ColecoVision package that you have there [...]

I'm glad that it has become clear the ADAM included is the expansion module and not the standalone (per ValkerieSilk), as I could not grasp for the life of me why Coleco would bother to produce special packaging simply to house two things that didn't require one another.

Edited by mumbai

Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions, NIAD! As soon as I began reading them, it occurred to me that that there is no power supply for the CV. Go figure, right? I have everything else to test the ADAM, but no way to connect it to the late model "smart" T.V.'s I have in my house. There's a really great electronics depot not far from me that might have a solution. May just be taking a trip to a pawn shop for an older tube T.V.

As far as the CV, I guess my only option is to find a replacement PS.

I'm glad that it has become clear the ADAM included is the expansion module and not the standalone (per ValkerieSilk), as I could not grasp for the life of me why Coleco would bother to produce special packaging simply to house two things that didn't require one another.

I think that IS the standalone unit, isn't it?

I think that IS the standalone unit, isn't it?

The large photos you supply show the separate coupler that joins a ColecoVision to an ADAM in the Expansion Module #3 configuration.

My ADAM is stored away and I rid myself of my Expansion Module #3 years ago, so I can't comment based on physical appearance of the ADAM memory console shown, but why else is that coupler present?

Edited by mumbai

Oooh I just realized how it goes together lmao. Okay, so does the CV maybe get its power from the ADAM and that's why there's no seperate PS for it? I'm away from it, at the moment, but the CV has a female end and the ADAM has a male end built into it. These go together, I assume.

Also, when you say coupler, are you referring to the female opening in the front of the CV?

Edited by c13h18n2

Oooh I just realized how it goes together lmao. Okay, so does the CV maybe get its power from the ADAM and that's why there's no seperate PS for it?

Again, can't comment directly, as I haven't had an Expansion #3 for years. I cannot even recall how it all worked w/r/t power. Wait for someone else to float back into the thread that has a better memory than I (or a current CV<->Exp3 setup). :)

Also, when you say coupler, are you referring to the female opening in the front of the CV?

I am referring to the large, flat plastic piece to the far righthand side of the third large photo.

printer is the power supply for both the adam & colecovision. Plug the adam into the colecovision expansion slot. The printer into the adam. Make sure the printer heads are not taped down or block as they will move on start up. You can get one other these things to hook it up to a tv and you'll get picture & sound. Or you can use the video only output to any rca video input you just won't get sound.

if you want the plastic brace locks the adam console & colecovision together.

turn power on from back of printer. Play donkey kong.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-GAME-SYSTEM-ADAPTERS-ATARI-COLECOVISION-INTELLIVISION-NES-Sega-2600-RF-TV-COAX-/181161453279?hash=item2a2e1066df:g:JuQAAMXQBg5Ryggz

Fired everything up, sequentially. Everything is getting power. I really get the impression this bad boy just needs a screen. Everything internally appears to be very clean and I see zero signs of corrosion on anything. I kinda want to keep it now.

Digress, thank you for the link! Making that investment now.

Edited by c13h18n2

Lol ... sorry I guess I screwed that up ... yes, expansion mod 3 'not stand alone adam' and colecovision ... I got it backwards, my bad...

Ok, so Coleco either did not include the CV Power Transformer in this package or the previous owner did not place it back in the box. So you can not test/play the CV by itself which is no big deal as you have everything else needed by setting up all the Adam components and the setup manual which details how to hook everything up.

Now you just have to buy a $2 Coaxial-to-RF Cable Adapter and perhaps a $5 RF Cable. I'm not completely up to snuff on current televisions, but I gotta believe that all TVs being sold now still include a Coaxial Cable hookup.

My first entry to the adam was finding the same system you have (at about the same price oddly enough).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197143-coleco-adam-big-dog-combo-set-what-do-you-guys-think/

So, since then I've acquired another one as well in box - I will say the value is in the box and specifically that little orange sticker that confirms that this was a combo set. I've been wondering if we get a few of these which as NAID said, this will be #4 or #5 discovered complete, that we start compiling a serial number data base and see if we can get a range of how many of these were put out.

My guess is that they pulled certain number, probably not the last off the line, and slapped them together. I noticed when looking at my serial numbers, all three components (printer, processor, keyboard) in one box were differently numbered. Is that the case with all the systems? If not, than that would lend even more credibility to the idea that this was just done to relieve excess inventory.

As for pricing - of the 2 that have sold in open auction, 1 sold for $995 BIN in under 12 minutes if I remember right and 1 sold for $750? I have to believe that there are very few that are left that still have the box - it's so freaking huge. Consider yourself lucky to have it - you are part of a unique group of lucky SOBs that lady luck smiled down upon.

Adam serial number 5037373

Edited by playazclub