IGNORED

HSC13 Round 7: Up'n Down & Catch-up Missed Rounds

Up'n Down (Sega)

Not one I've played and new to the HSC but we'll see how it goes. Checkout this article [link ok now!] on the game vs the arcade version (thanks ballyalley) . Atarimania also has some info and checkout the detailed comments.

Download Fandal - XEX OR Fandal's NEW PAL FIXED VERSION: upndown_fix.xex Slower but the trucks can be seen when they appear!

Season 13 Catch-up If anyone has missed any rounds (or even all of them), now's a good time to post scores for them to earn some extra points. After this round we'll have an extended/special round to keep things interesting :)

upn_down.png

Play on the default skill EASY - the game progresses through the three levels (rounds).

Bonus Challenge for players outside the top 3: Fastest time for Round 1, 1pt [ESC=pause]

Standard HSC Scoring

Bonus Game:

up%27n%27down.pngpost-19705-0-72245200-1460645959_thumb.jpg

There is another Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft) - ATR which looks like a jumping ball on a grid so let's plump for this and see what it is about before playing something else!!! Turns out it's a good game...

...Hold the stick as the ball rises you can adjust mid jump, you do get a feel for it and it's quite a decent game, Collect the hearts for more energy, you do not need to collect them to complete the level. Land on all the blank tiles to complete the level.

The question marks can give extra lives, take one away, or they may give you powerups :party: which appear in the rectangular box (see screenshot) - pressing console keys activates them Start=Missile Man,Select=Bullet, Option=Ball. The active weapon is displayed in the square box, you can use them to destroy the black plane that has been bugging you for lots of points! Looks like you get 5 shots on each.

There is some mystery on how to complete level 1, it doesn't seem to end if you have started on level 0. So, after beating level 0 you can start on level 1 from the menu. I did complete level 1 ONCE! (starting on 0). If anyone figures this out they will earn 2 bonus points!

[space=pause]

No score shown at end of go. Play just to complete levels you can start on the last one reached.

ROUND EXTENDED until Tuesday 26th April 10am UK time :)

Edited by therealbountybob
Fixed PAL Sega game link added. Round exteneded until Tue 26th

Interestingly enough I was working my way through the Page 6 PD library and found one of the disks has a copy of Up 'n' Down on it. It appears to possibly be a crack but then loads to the Sega start screen. I thought it odd to find a commercial game on a PD disk.

• Like 1

Thanks for attempting to link to my article about Up'n Down, Bob! Something strange happens to links on AtariAge (they appear to get squashed up in some way), so the link above doesn't work. Adam has notified me that apostrophes in URLs present problems when AtariAge turns links into "shorthand."

It would probably be easier just to visit the main page and scroll down a bit to find the Up'n Down article (it's reasonably close to the top):

http://www.orphanedgames.com

• Like 1

Thanks for attempting to link to my article about Up'n Down, Bob! Something strange happens to links on AtariAge (they appear to get squashed up in some way), so the link above doesn't work. Adam has notified me that apostrophes in URLs present problems when AtariAge turns links into "shorthand."

It would probably be easier just to visit the main page and scroll down a bit to find the Up'n Down article (it's reasonably close to the top):

http://www.orphanedgames.com

Thanks again, I'll look at some of the other games too, might be something we are missing on the A8 :)

For some reason I can't edit my first post so can't update the link.

Game i missed

Nadral 9,800

NADRAL Players outside the top 3 can get 1pt per level completed on Nadral - you can start on the last level reached from the menu. IF YOU ALREADY POSTED A SCORE FOR NADRAL YOU CAN STILL PLAY MORE UNTIL THE END OF THIS ROUND :)

I've played both games and both are ok so should be a good round. I'll try and update the first post with some more info#

Up 'N' Down - Rascalsoft

post-19705-0-85775900-1460480095_thumb.jpg

You need to clear all the tiles - hold the stick as the ball rises you can move, push it back to adjust - you get used to it. Question Marks may get you extra lives or kill you! Hearts for more life - I seemed to finish the 2nd screen but the game didn't level up, perhaps a bug (see screenshot). Tricky at first but fun enough to play.

1,595 my best score so far

Up'n Down - SEGA

post-19705-0-33591400-1460480098_thumb.jpg

Despite the cars appearing from no where and the flickering it's ok too.

After a few goes managed to complete the first level - PLAY ON EASY (THE DEFAULT) looks like it levels up: the three rounds are the three difficulties (so no practising!)

Bonus point Challenge for players outside the top 3 - Fastest time for the first section :)

Season 13 Current Standings Updated

Can I give Pro© Magazine a plug? Yes of course I can - issue #9 is out now and has several articles by yours truly - it's 100% Atari 8-bit and is in English and German - to save on postage consider buying a few issues or some other goodies - boxed games or T-shirts. It's not for profit; just for Atari love. http://proc-atari.de/

Season 13 Current Standings Updated

Can I give Pro© Magazine a plug? Yes of course I can - issue #9 is out now and has several articles by yours truly - it's 100% Atari 8-bit and is in English and German - to save on postage consider buying a few issues or some other goodies - boxed games or T-shirts. It's not for profit just for Atari love. http://proc-atari.de/

one magazine + one game... every time :D

Thought about writing some articles but then I come to my senses and realize I suck at writing.

• Like 1

Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft) - does seem to have a bug if you start on level 0 you cannot complete level 1. BUT if you start on level 1 it is ok. I reached level 2: 2030! We'll play for level reached.

post-19705-0-19352400-1460625637_thumb.jpg

Up/N Down (Sega) Hard to see how they got away with such crappy flashing and the things appearing - however you do get used to it and it's still playable. Anyone know the arcade game - should the other vehicles flash properly when they appear or just scroll on as you would expect?

I reached 1 flag short of completing level 2: 29,722

post-19705-0-35834600-1460625635_thumb.jpg

6 votes already and I haven't mentioned the Round 8 Pre-Poll Poll :D

This is based on old memory, but I swear there is a version that they don't flash like that

I'll try the .cas US Gold and checkout atarionline.pl - perhaps this would be a good one for an update. LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE A PAL ISSUE - NTSC not only do you get the taller screen but the trucks start greyed out but visible - can someone confirm this on real NTSC hardware (on PAL they are *not* shown dimmed they just come on after the initial period).

I've just got to 1 flag short of beating the 3rd round 30,512. I wonder if it has more levels? Fastest time for 1st round 0:51 :)

post-19705-0-80733100-1460646491_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-34237000-1460646490_thumb.jpg

I've figured out a bit more about the other Up 'N' Down - it's something to do with the collected gizmos see first post ;) After beating Level 0 players still need to start on level 1 as I've not figured enough out :mad: :?

post-19705-0-05392800-1460646488_thumb.jpg

This game is really fun... except for music, music is really annoying. I've reached stage 4 and managed to get 4 flags there. The good news is that stage 4 introduces water hazards and really hard ramps, the bad news is... that's where the difficulty level is going up a lot.

Anyway, Stage 4, Score 36476

Up & Down

I wonder if it is possible to finish stage one below 20 seconds. My personal best is... "lot more than one minute". :)
Edited by Dope
  • Like 1

Hello!

This is my first attempt

Good work RT, now how about a vote or 5 in the Round 8 Pre-Poll Poll :D

Yes it's very easy to finish stage 1 in under 20 seconds once you know the correct route to take

33396 stage 3

You guys :P

This game is really fun... except for music, music is really annoying. I've reached stage 4 and managed to get 4 flags there. The good news is that stage 4 introduces water hazards and really hard ramps, the bad news is... that's where the difficulty level is going up a lot.

Anyway, Stage 4, Score 36476

I wonder if it is possible to finish stage one below 20 seconds. My personal best is... "lot more than one minute". :)

This is good news, the game looks promising. I'm trying the other versions from atarionline.pl - re the trucks appearing out of nowehere on PAL - the Steve & Bruce copy was the one I had, I'm hoping it was not the final version.

I've updated the first post again with more info on Rascalsoft's UP 'N' Down - it's quite addictive: 8,095!

Good news the icons you collect are weapons that you can use to destroy the black plane thingys.

Bad news I've still not figure out why you cannot usually complete level 1 after beating level 0 (play on level 1 from the menu after beating level 0)

first tables

Up 'n Down (Sega)

1st Dope (n) 36,476 12pts
2nd McKong (p) 33,396 11pts
3rd therealbountybob (p) 30,512 10pts
4th Rod Tomato (p) 16,402 9pts
5th jblenkle (n) 9,620 8pts

Fastest Time on Round 1 (1pt for players outside the top 3 in the current standings)
1st McKong (p) 0:12

2nd therealbountybob (p) 0:51

Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft)
1st therealbountybob (p) 8,095 1pt

Season 13 Catch-Up Missed Games

Roadrunner 1pt
Nadral 9800 Level 1 (1pt per level completed, players can start on the last level reached from the menu)

VOTE in the Round 8 Pre-Poll Poll!

I've asked Fandal to take a look at Up'n Down (Sega) to see if he can fix the trucks appearing without any warning on real PAL hardware . On NTSC (emulation) they are dim when they come, the game seems slower and is more playable/easier (music is faster). So for once you NTSC guys get a lucky break! I guess it was a US release and they didn't bother testing it on PAL :mad: ;)

Up 'n' Down (Frown) - 8062

Catch-up:

Ixion - 215330

Mr Do - 40950

(almost forgotten how good Ixion is)

:thumbsup: For missed games points will be based on how players did in the tables :)

We could do with another VOTE in the :arrow: Round 8 Pre-Poll Poll! to break a couple of ties!

Atari Super Genius Fandal has kindly fixed Sega's Up'nDown for PAL systems. The game plays much slower but the trucks do not just appear out of nowhere. I think the game gets faster as you do the levels so far 37,204 Level 4. I'll update the first post with the new version in a minute DONE!

post-19705-0-85661900-1461100898_thumb.jpg

The Round 8 Poll will start soon...

• Like 1