Last winter I presented the STARFORCE PI Electronic Tabeltop Mini-Arcade on this forum to gauge interest and collect feedback which I could use in preparing a Kickstarter campaign to produce this all-in-one system with a solid arcade experience (www.starforcepi.com). We unfortunately fell short at 49K of the 190K funding goal, but it was a pretty good response, with some decent coverage by techblogs. Because of this I decided to continue working on this project together with Hartmut Wendt (hwhardsoft.de).
In parallel to working on a small-volume limited release run, I decided to explore the possibility of building a Neo Geo MVS into the smallest and lightest form factor possible. This was to compare actual Neo Geo games on original hardware with the more budget friendly emulated experience of the SFP. After roughly 4 months of working, tinkering, cutting, thinking and cursing I finished a fully functional mini Neo Geo MVS system: The STARFORCE NEO All-in-One System.
The entire build cost around €600, using original and premium components, with a further €150 euro for the extra controller and multicart (161-in-1 MVS to AES shell conversion + box).
Check out the attached pictures for an impression of the system, and visit the STARFORCE PI blog for a little more information on the system.
· Authentic SNK Neo Geo MV-1B hardware
· Neo Geo MVS Cartridge Compatible
· 2x Neo Geo Controller Inputs (Player 1 & 2)
· Integrated SEIMITSU Joystick & 6 buttons (Player 1)
· Integrated 8” 480p LCD Screen (4:3) + HDMI Output
· SmallCab SuperGun to SCART-to-HDMI
· SGL3000 Scanline Generator
· Logitech Z120 Internal 1.2Watt Stereo Speakers
· 3.5mm Headphone Stereo Jack
· BeQuiet! Silent PSU SFW Power 2 400W
· Vintage 1982 Minitel 1 Converted Case
· Dimensions: 23 x 25 x 26 cm
I'll post some pictures and a video of it working with the multicart soon, and I will prepare a build report for the blog so you can have a look at the internals, and how I made certain features. I'd appreciate any feedback, questions and insights you can offer.
SFP Development Team
Edited by StarForcePilot, Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:15 AM.