IGNORED

Neo Geo Prototype found

Crimefighter

Sadly, never.

Reason being, it never even existed. The story of Magician Lord 2 was spoon fed to the magazines back in the day to hype up the neogeo home system and to try to increase interest.

Granted, Magician Lord is heralded as an excellent platformer and considered the best action game on the neo by most of its owners. However, it was a failure on the MVS as it didn't earn nearly as much for operators as the other launch titles like Nam 1975 and Baseball Stars did. So Alpha Denshi never had any plans to develop a sequel. Sad, but true.

• Like 1

I got to see the unveiling, but it wasn't really a public display - basically a group of Neo enthusiasts and folks "in the know" came out to the console museum after the show hours closed Saturday, at which point the game was showcased. Probably a couple dozen folks in all were actually on hand to watch it. I wasn't there Sunday so I don't know if it got any sort of broader showcase at that time.

Research over at neo-geo.com and by Japanese Neo fans seems to have indicated this game had the working title "Dragon's Heaven" and was being developed by FACE around 1997. A contemporary Japanese magazine article with a FACE staffer suggested that it was going to be a fighter-ish game with more of a storytelling focus than usual, and that ex-Technos folks were helping work on it since FACE had no fighter experience.

I was part of a similar unveiling at our local show, known as Freeplay Florida, that takes place in November. Since most of these shows are run by the fans and for the fans, they tend to have special events, VIP badges, guest speakers, after hours parties and presentations, etc.

Sadly, never.

Reason being, it never even existed. The story of Magician Lord 2 was spoon fed to the magazines back in the day to hype up the neogeo home system and to try to increase interest.

Granted, Magician Lord is heralded as an excellent platformer and considered the best action game on the neo by most of its owners. However, it was a failure on the MVS as it didn't earn nearly as much for operators as the other launch titles like Nam 1975 and Baseball Stars did. So Alpha Denshi never had any plans to develop a sequel. Sad, but true.

Thanks for shedding light on this.

Magician is one of my favorite games for the Neo Geo. I believe I caught wind of an *upcoming* sequel from the Die Hard Gamefan periodical.