Asteroids and Power-Ups

Sharkham

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Power-Up Do You Prefer?

• Flip
    • Hyperspace
    • Shield

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Asteroids is by far my favorite game to play on my Atari 2600, in that I can easily let it eat huge chunks of my time without getting bored. There's something so simplistically exciting about all those narrow escapes, those across-the-screen snipes, and evading those crafty UFOs.

There's three different power-ups to use in Asteroids, and I was wondering which power-up you guys may prefer the most. When going for the ultimate challenge, it's implied a little bit that you'll go in with nothing but your wits, but let's say you're playing for funsies or just for more variety - what's your pick? The Flip, the Hyperspace Warp, or the Shield?

My personal go-to is the Flip - being able to pull a quick u-turn is invaluable in situations when asteroids or UFOs have sneaked onto your six. Hyperspace has a habit of dropping me off in the worst possible place, and the Shield almost feels too easy, even with the two second self-destruct switch. The thing about these features, though, is that I often forget that I have them, so even with the Flip equipped I find myself manually turning around.

• Like 2

I was the second vote for "flip". I normally play using hyperspace because that's how I remember playing the arcade version as a kid but I really like having the option to flip. I agree with sharkham that the ability to make a quick U-turn has a ton of value.

Space Rocks sits proudly alongside my copies of Starcastle Arcade, Thrust+ D.C. Edition and Juno First. What a great bunch of games they are.

I couldn't agree with you more, Lord Innit. I have each of these games plus the highly coveted Space Rocks Tournament Edition.

Simply put, Space Rocks, rocks! :-D

• Like 1

Have you gotten into homebrews yet? If not, you might like to check out Space Rocks.

I know that the 2600 homebrew scene is very much alive and productive, and a few various ones have caught my eye in particular (like Skeleton+, and Medieval Mayhem, which it appears you've also made!) but haven't had the chance to dive into the scene in full yet...but Space Rocks looks absolutely fantastic. The more chaotic asteroid patterns seem like a fantastic change by itself, but then boom, there's a thousand other bells and whistles, too.

Once I actually get enough cash on me to really be able to support the scene, I really do plan on getting some cool homebrew cartridges. Thanks for the clue-in on Space Rocks! I hardly thought that Asteroids could get even better.

Edited by Sharkham

Yep, Medieval Mayhem was my first homebrew game. Hard to believe I started on it over 10 years ago :-o Where does time fly.

Most of the ROMs for homebrew games have been made available so you can try them out before you buy them. You can do so on your computer via Stella, or even on your actual Atari via the Harmony Cartridge.

• Like 1