IGNORED

Intellivision Miner 2049er

Not to threadjack, but I don't think this deserves a thread of its own (yet). Here's a rough idea of what Archon would look like, at least given my limited skills. With the main gameboard, the characters would have to be displayed a bit crudely - you only have half the vertical pixels you need. For fun I also drew them "full sized" off to the left, just to give an idea of what they'd look like when you move your pieces on the board (you could have their movement have higher detail), and especially during the battle scenes. Unfortunately the main board just couldn't display them with this much detail, unless you wanted a LOT of flicker.

Color choices would have to be made, but I think it's reasonably decent for an hour of mucking about (I needed a break from "real" work!). Anyone who has the patience to do the rest of the pieces, feel free :)

post-39446-0-83272300-1463626209_thumb.gif

• Like 7

I believe we still do. I would have to check with Valter.

If Freewheel wants to make some $$$ doing it let me know.

I'd have no problem whipping up the graphics for something like this, but the gameplay is a lot of work. It'd probably take me 2 years at the pace I work at (and I honestly don't even know how to code some of it). Plus, I live my life quite happily in IntyBASIC and I'm not entirely sure how to make some of the music/sound effects. I know that from what I've seen of Boulder Dash, that it should be possible to sound pretty close to the original. On the bright side, the game mechanics have been very well documented, in terms of how the battles work (HP, etc) so that wouldn't require a lot of reverse engineering.

Yes, I've been thinking about this one off and on for a while now :)

OK, I promise this is it for the threadjack (as this is basically all that's needed graphically, other than some random background blobs and the weapon sprites). I'm sure a few pixels here and there could clean up the smaller characters, but it's a start. On the right is a pixel-perfect representation of every character from the C64 version. They look "stretched" vertically but would look bang-on, on an Intellivision. I could simulate this, but got lazy. And if someone ever wanted to use this as a starting point.. well here ya go. Oh, and I guess we'd have to use some of the smaller "half size" fonts people have been playing with, to indicate the character name and move abilities. And the wizard/sorceress spell selection. But fonting is relatively easy for something like this. Worst case, there's a lot of screen space available for text.

Incidentally, if you've ever thought that the dragon is bigger - well, it took me 30 years to figure this out, but he actually is. Every other character fits into a 14x7 pixel box. The dragon needs 14x8!

post-39446-0-26654700-1463709532_thumb.gif

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

It will be great news when I can say we have a programmer.......it is a chicken and egg situation.....no contract until a programmer....no programmer until a contract.

I understand.
But for me it's already great to know that someone is in the position to sign a contract to produce Miner 2049er for Intellivision. I still remember when the only Intellivision game released in the third millennium (and in 20-30 copies) was 4-Tris (awesome game, by the way)

I was wondering if these graphics will be used (in case you find a programmer, I know)

I know it's moot until there's a programmer, but I have to throw this in: The concept of Miner 2049er always sounded interesting to me, but I've never been able to get into it because I always felt the player character was so ugly. I also found the walking sound to be very grating in most versions. If this game comes to the Intellivision, I hope the programmer will take some liberty to improve the sprites, rather than trying to copy other older versions. For example, the GameBoy one looks really good. I'd like to see it go more in that direction. It could be a really fun game, but the sprites and sound "could" kill it for me if too much like other ports.

• Like 1

The visuals differ a bit between versions. The main character wears a huge hat on many, but not all versions. One of the prettier, which probably has far higher colour resolution than the Intellivision could pull off unless using many multiplexed sprites, is the one for Super Cassette Vision. It has in common with the SCV version of Boulder Dash that the main character is rather different looking than otherwise. Whether that is due to Japan-ification of US game characters or simply developers taking liberties that Big Five and First Star couldn't bother objecting against is unclear to me.

I remember playing this a bit on my Apple II, and being fairly unimpressed. The main character was ugly, gameplay was too similar to about 40 other titles. I would love to be wrong and see a great Intv version of this, but I am skeptical that it will be a decent game or substantial seller at all.

I know it's moot until ther{snip} sprites and sound "could" kill it for me if too much like other ports.

As a kid, I always wanted to play this game after reading about it in an Electronic Games Mag. feature story.

However, I don't think I have played it more than 1 or 2 times. I don't know why?

I think I didn't acquire a version of it until 86-87 and I had a few other things on my mind.

So I think I would be very interested in an Intellivision version. Game play is always more important than graphics.

Bad sound(s) are hard to take. So, pretty graphics and nice music/sound fx would be nice too.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...