IGNORED

Best Home Version Of Donkey Kong Junior

Doobee-Doobee-Doo  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Best Home Version Of Donkey Kong Jr?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200/8-bit
    • Atari 7800
    • ColecoVision (original)
    • ColecoVision (Super DK Jr.)
    • INTV
    • NES
    • C64
    • Other (post)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I tried to cover most of the home versions in the poll so don't flame me if I forgot a version

I feel like I'm late to the party since I only got my SDrive for the C64 a few months ago, and this version was released for the C64 in late 2014. I've played all the home versions of DK Jr. (that I own) recently and I have to say the C64 version is the best I've played.

In my videos for arcade translations I like to put the game side-by-side with the game being played in MAME. As you can see in the video how detailed the C64 version is opposed to the original arcade release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWLkqvVs3c

I found the thread for this game on Lemon64 and posted a comment praising this game. Oddly enough, there were negative comments made about the game to the effect that it was not true to the original arcade game. To each their own but I like the visual enhancements made to this game and it is fun to play.

I'm on the fence about the "best" version. Lots of nostalgia for the original CV version, and I'd say it's my favorite but the NES version is really good and control is a bit better (from what I remember, I haven't played the NES version a lot).

The WORST version is the 2600 version, by far. I hate that game. Hate, hate, hate it. It's just so ugly and unplayable and should never have been released!

• Like 2

The WORST version is the 2600 version, by far. I hate that game. Hate, hate, hate it. It's just so ugly and unplayable and should never have been released!

Yes but you know Coleco did that on purpose making crappy games for the 2600 so they could get people to upgrade to ColecoVisions :)

Atari 2600 version for its lush graphics and beautiful sound effects.

No, actually, I've recently played the NES version and the arcade version (MAME). I actually prefer the NES version because the difficulty doesn't ramp up as quickly as the arcade. It's more playable and fun.

• Like 2

I grew up with the 8-bit version, it was good but the movement was always a bit janky (especially on the first level). Thankfully darryl1970 and Playsoft hacked the crap out of it and now it's one of the best versions. Of the non-hacked/homebrew versions I always thought the Coleco Adam version was really solid, much better than their version of Donkey Kong which I always thought was way overrated. The NES version is even better though, just about arcade perfect.

• Like 1

I went with the NES version. I grew up playing the ColecoVision version and have a huge amount of nostalgia for it (especially the music), but now that I go back and play both the ColecoVision and NES versions and compare them to the arcade original on my multicade it's pretty clear which is a more accurate port of the arcade version. I still love the ColecoVision port, but the NES port is admittedly truer to the arcade original.

I have to go with the NES version. It was the first version of DK Jr. that I played and the one that is truly faithful to the actual arcade also the added bonus is all 4 levels are included.

The 2600 version is dreadful in the sound department and in terms of gameplay. The electrical stage most notably.

I have the 5200 multicart and have not given it a full run, but definetley need to.

The 7800 version graphically and in design and layout is identical to the NES port but the sound is pretty dreadful to listen to.

The Intellivision version I think is pretty decent and a good version to play other than Mario looking like a naked smurf and Donkey Kong looking like a mutilated Kermit the Frog.

The Colecovision is second in my opinion. Plays smooth, good graphics, and the sound is pleasing. The Colecovision never fails in producing arcade hits.

Never played the Commodore 64 version.

Happy to have a DK Junior arcade marquee in my game room. :)

20160420_182919_HDR_zpscl9bcfkj.jpg?w=48

• Like 3

I actually went through a DK Jr phase about a year ago, and I played the 2600, 7800, NES, and arcade versions of the game quite a bit. I also got the 8-bit conversion working on my 5200. Of course, I prefer the arcade, but the NES version was impressive. I believe that they even fixed the springboard timing on the NES so it isn't random chance.

The 7800 version is actually quite fun as well, and I sorta like the 2600-esque sound effects, but the NES version is smoother and more detailed. Someone said the graphics are equivalent between NES and 7800, but you should play them back to back and see if you still think that. I think the NES is a bit better.

I actually don't really mind the 2600 version for what it is. The hideout level included is an interesting one to put in there, so I'll give it that. I just remember that trying to get off those poles/ropes on the side is almost impossible to do without dying on the higher difficulties.

I'm surprised that I've never actually played the Inty version. This is one of those rare times when I haven't really spent time with the Intellivision version of the game.

As for the C64 version, I'll try it eventually. It is based on the 7800 version so the level order is the same. I'm just not really all that interested in modern arcade remakes.

Yep yep yep. DK jr on the 2600 is on my list of "could have been so much better". A list that includes games like mr. do, zaxxon, and pooyan.

I'm surprised that I've never actually played the Inty version. This is one of those rare times when I haven't really spent time with the Intellivision version of the game.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty bad. The Intellivision really got cornholed on Donkey Kong games.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Does anyone else find the A8bit version ridiculously difficult? Sometimes it takes me half an hour just to get through the first round. It seems like there are a ton of enemies early on. I've never seen the electric stage on it. Shame, because I think it looks and sounds nice. I just wish I could do better at it.

Remember the opening levels to Donkey Kong '94 on Game Boy? The way it aped (Ha!) the arcade levels but in its own engine with many more moves available to you? I would love an action game consisting of like 200 levels of that, including DK Jr. elements.

I chose "other" because I stupidly misremembered that game as having DK Jr. sections. I don't think it did, as much as I would love it.

So mark me as NES even though I'd vastly prefer a rethought version, a la Pac-Man championship.

• Like 1

Regarding Donkey Kong and DKJR.. the level progression kind of makes a difference to how you enjoy the game. What's your favorite.. the original 1-2-3-4 progression, or the US mixed 1-4, 1-3-4, etc?

The original feels kind of cheap compared to the newer order. Playing through the latter, it feels like a lot of thought went into it, introducing you to the stages like that.

Super DK Junior on the ColecoVision is great.

However, the NES version is pretty much identical to the arcade.

What annoyed me about the NES versions of arcade games was that the colors were off. DK Jr is no exception. There's also a definite difficulty decrease. Especially considering that you like the CV version (or close enough), I recommend the Coleco Adam version. It has intermissions, and a fifth screen. The graphics are pretty much the same as the CV version, with a couple minor changes. Even though they could be more arcade-like, I still find them very visually appealing.

Regarding Donkey Kong and DKJR.. the level progression kind of makes a difference to how you enjoy the game. What's your favorite.. the original 1-2-3-4 progression, or the US mixed 1-4, 1-3-4, etc?

The latter is much better. You have to be good at the game to see all of it. Going going through all the stages in order over and over again is boring. There's much less reward to it.

I agree.. I grew up with the 1-2-3-4, but once I was able to play the U.S. version, much preferred that.

The only drawback to the U.S. progression in both games is you end up never experiencing the "easy" level 1 setting of the 2nd & 3rd stages.