IGNORED

Favorite PlayStation Games

The original PlayStation is very dear to my heart and while I discovered most of my favorite games long after the system's release, there's no denying that the PSone is one of the best consoles of all time. So I share with you some of my favorite games. There aren't that many surprises (some of the games include Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 2, Bushido Blade 2 and Bloody Roar 2,) but I'm wondering what some of your favorites are. Although I love the PlayStation, I certainly missed a bunch of games and more than open to suggestions. Thanks!

Top 10: My Favorite PlayStation Games

I got a good deal of favorite Playstation games.

The whole Crash Bandicoot series: I enjoy all three! I just like the mix of the overhead view mixed with the 2D sidescroller platformer tornadoing your way through levels. Warped is my favorite out of the whole bunch. These three games are a must have for your Playstation library.

Gran Turismo 2: This is personally the best racing game in the market as farbas my opinion is concerned. Over 700 cars, tune them up for events to win big money, earn licenses which is fun, and even import your vehicles in arcade mode for quick racing fun. My favorite one in the whole series.

Symphony of the Night: This is also one of the best for the series of Castlevania games. Awesome level design, phenominal graphics, great weapons, and overall a fun game to play.

Driver: A great car driving action game. Takes place in 1978 as an undercover cop named John Tanner. After passing the (pain in the ass) parking garage exam you are on your way to infiltrate organized crime. Fun fun game.

Mega Man 8: One of the most underrated Mega Man games in the series. It still retains the classic 2D sidescrolling/vertical stages from the NES with nice colorful graphics. The only cons are some of the sounds and voice acting but it doesn't stop the fun. You collect bolts to upgrade your abilities and the difficulty is perfect as most Mega Man games are pretty tough.

Resident Evil: The best of the best when it comes to survival horror games! I shall say no more!

• Like 1

Twisted Metal 2 for the PS1 is still my favorite Twisted Metal game ever. In fact, I felt the future Twisted Metal games sucked. My other favorites on the PS1 include:

• Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (yes, I saved all 99 mudukons)
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Crash Bandicoot 1-3
  • Motor Toon Grand Prix (this was actually a fun racing game)
  • Spot Goes to Hollywood
  • Metal Gear Solid
Edited by DuggerVideoGames
  • Like 1

Did anybody else here get the Playstation Underground discs that let you play demos of upcoming games? If not for that disc, I might have never heard of or tried Oddworld or Twisted Metal 2. I also enjoyed playing the 989 Sports games on the PS1 (NFL Gameday games, for instance). Name any other game where Dan Marino does breakdancing moves after completing a pass (15-yard penalty? Well worth it!).

While I enjoyed the games on the PS1, I hated the PS1 itself. Up until last year, my NES that I've had since 1985 still worked! The PS1... I went through THREE of those and it ticked me off because that was a waste of so much money. I didn't find out about the class-action lawsuit settlement with Sony until it was too late to join in on it!

• Like 1

Have to admit, don't think most of the 3D graphics/games held up very well on the PS1. That said, I do still like the original Destruction Derby for what it is. Just a fun game all around. Oh and Darklight Conflict too.

Bought Castlevania: SotN a while ago after buying in to all the hype, but was disappointed in its level design. Too much vertical platform jumping around for my tastes. Couldn't help but think of Pitfall! The Mayan Mess when playing. :lol: Okay, maybe that wasn't a fair comparison. Just didn't like this particular Castlevania game... way he's drawn/animated, few save spots, potion system, et al. Would probably like Chronicles better as I prefer my Castelvania games to be old school, but have never played it. And looking at eBay prices, probably never will. ;)

I got a good deal of favorite Playstation games.

The whole Crash Bandicoot series: I enjoy all three! I just like the mix of the overhead view mixed with the 2D sidescroller platformer tornadoing your way through levels. Warped is my favorite out of the whole bunch. These three games are a must have for your Playstation library.

Gran Turismo 2: This is personally the best racing game in the market as farbas my opinion is concerned. Over 700 cars, tune them up for events to win big money, earn licenses which is fun, and even import your vehicles in arcade mode for quick racing fun. My favorite one in the whole series.

Symphony of the Night: This is also one of the best for the series of Castlevania games. Awesome level design, phenominal graphics, great weapons, and overall a fun game to play.

Driver: A great car driving action game. Takes place in 1978 as an undercover cop named John Tanner. After passing the (pain in the ass) parking garage exam you are on your way to infiltrate organized crime. Fun fun game.

Mega Man 8: One of the most underrated Mega Man games in the series. It still retains the classic 2D sidescrolling/vertical stages from the NES with nice colorful graphics. The only cons are some of the sounds and voice acting but it doesn't stop the fun. You collect bolts to upgrade your abilities and the difficulty is perfect as most Mega Man games are pretty tough.

Resident Evil: The best of the best when it comes to survival horror games! I shall say no more!

Nice list of games you enjoy Keith.

You said it. Driver is such a fun title that I use to hate that garage stage to prove that you're worthy. I took me hours to try to beat that stage. But I love the quote at the end when time ran out saying, "maybe I'll give you a call, when I need a ride to the grocery store" .

That was hilarious. :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

A bunch of the shoot 'em ups are some of my favorites, notably R-Type Delta, Strikers 1945 II (just Strikers 1945 in the US) and The Raiden Project.

As far as some more traditional PS1 games, the Crash Bandicoot games are up there for me. Castlevania SOTN is another favorite. DOOM. Mega Man X4. So many good games on the system it's hard to narrow down a small list off the top of my head.

Edited by Austin

Anytime I think about my PS1... I remember a lot of great times and some amazing games.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX (IX is my favorite but still like the other two)
Final Fantasy Tactics (easily one of my favorite tactical RPGs)

Front Mission 3 (LOOOOOVED IT)

Grandia (just adore this game... so damn much)

Mega Man X4 (second favorite Mega Man X title after the original)

Mega Man Legends and Legends 2 (such a great series... screw you Capcom!)

Misadventures of Tron Bonne (an odd bird that somehow is a prequel to Mega Man Legends timeline-wise)

Legend of Dragoon (One of the best RPGs that you probably haven't played)

Threads of Fate (always wanted this... could never find it, but then it came on PSN so YAY!)

and there's probably more that I'm just not thinking of at the moment...

I've spent most of the last several years lumping PS1 and PS2 in my head as the 'high school' systems. I realized a few weeks ago that simply isn't true- I bought my PS2 with my graduation money, meaning 'high school' was almost exclusively PS1 gaming. It was an odd thing to realize. Anyway- most of my PS1 gaming was RPGs. Sooo many RPGs... wish I had that kind of time/patience again...

Lunar:Sliver Star Complete and Eternal Blue Complete- these are so different from their Sega CD counterparts as to be completely different games. Some of my favorite stories ever in these two.

Final Fantasy 8- I know it's got kind of a bad rap, but my enjoyment of a Final Fantasy stems so much from the characters, and I just really liked the cast of this one. Even mopey ol' Squall.

Rayman- Damn near platform perfection!

Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman- To be honest, I haven't actually played it... but that ridiculous old western opening song is so very worth seeing.

Sheep- try to force a bunch of suicidal herd animals to safety. Surprisingly fun.

My older brother was a game tester for Sony during the PS1 era. I even remember the day it came out in '95. Had every game that was released at one point.

Here are some of my faves:

Jumping Flash

Tail of the Sun

Road Rash

Coolboarders 3

San Franciso Rush:Extreme Racing

Crash Bandicoot

Bust-A-Move 2

Sabrina the Teenage Witch:A Twitch in Time

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Tomb Raider 2

Feels like 1998 again lol.

• Like 2

For me 1997 = PC/PS1 gaming. Diablo/Warcraft II and then ungodly amounts of time on FFVII. :P

My personal favs:

Castlevania SOTN

LOK Blood Omen

Resident Evil 2

Suikoden II

Final Fantasy 8

Legend of Dragoon

Chrono Cross

Front Mission 3

Metal Gear Solid

Raiden Project

Crash Bandicoot 3

Tekken 3

Tenchu

Tomba

• Like 1

Twisted Metal 2
Die Hard Trilogy (so many hours of humor playing the driving game...)
Poy Poy
NHL Open Ice
Jumping Flash!
Raiden Project
Crash Team Racing
Skullmonkeys
Point Blank
DDR: Konamix

Now I must go play some PSX after thinking about these amazing games... Die Hard Trilogy and the "Oscar Meyer wiener" bomb car here I come!! :)

My top PS1 Games aren't based on a wide variety, and they aren't even the best representative games of the PS1. These are just games I enjoyed them back in the day, and still play most of them yearly, sometimes to completion.

This list is basically the amount of time spent with re-play frequency.

Tenchu

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill

Tenchu 2

Metal Gear Solid

Syphon Filter

Medal of Honor

Gran Turismo

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat