Kool Aid Man Score Position Timing Qeustion

No replies to this topic

#1 AlyoshaTAS OFFLINE  

AlyoshaTAS

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:09 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how the score in Kool Aid Man is positioned but I always come up 1 pixel short.

The code is:

STA HMOVE

STA Colbrk

STA CTRLPF

LDA #$D0

STA HMP0

LDA #$20

STA HMP1

RESP0

RESP1

WSYNC

HMOVE

So I understand that the first part of the code cuases an effect similar to Cosmic Ark 'starfield effect', where one position clock is eaten up every 4 clocks during hblank and the HMove latches are never cleared.

Next we get RESP0 , RESP1 right next to each other. So at this point the players are 9 pixels apart.

Then we come to a normal WSYNC, HMOVE

In the time it takes to register the HMOVE, the 'starfield effect' has moved player0 3 pixels to the left. The HMove itslef will have a net effect moving player0 3 pixels back to the right, and player1 2 pixels to the left.

The net effect is that player0 and player1 are 7 pixels apart. But to display the score correctly they should be 8 pixels apart.

So my question is, where does the extra pixel come from? I just can't seem to find it. If anyone could help me account for it I would definitely be grateful! (If it's just that the 'starfield effect' is 4 pixels instead of 3, an explanation of why would also be much appreciated.)

Thanks for any insights!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users