IGNORED

Using an NTSC/US Colecovision in the UK

dmcdream

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Belfast, Northern Ireland!

On a whimsical search of YouTube earlier this week, I came across a video on the ColecoVision game system. Oh what memories I have of that particular console. Including my family, there were 4 of us in my street that owned one. Sadly for me, my parents didn’t purchase one until after the height of their popularity (possibly after the “crash” I’ve heard people speak of, I’m not sure.) This made getting game cartridges very difficult, resulting in us only owning a few.

After being initially excited to see a video about the ‘ColecoVision Flashback’ game system, the reviewer didn’t seem all that impressed with not only the games included on it, but also the emulator’s sound quality.

I then started toying with the idea of getting a second hand ColecoVision, so straight to Google and eBay I went. I was actually surprised by the availability there is out there of these machines, and its many accessories. One particular eBay auction I saw, was from a seller in Mission, Tx. The starting bid was rather high. Surprisingly no bids were made. The ‘Buy It Now’ price was even more astronomical!

When I checked Facebook to see if there were any fellow ColecoVision fans out there that I could talk to, I was pointed in the direction of this forum.

Before I start looking in to getting a ColecoVision seriously, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me. I don’t claim to be overly conversant with electronical equipment. And when it comes to computers, whilst I’m no Bill Gates, I know just about enough to get by.

Here’s what I need to know:

1 – Would an American/NTSC ColecoVision work in the UK? I seen reference made to a 'step down voltage converter.' Could someone point me in the right direction for one on Amazon or eBay please.

2 – How easy is it to connect a ColecoVision to one of today’s flat screen digital TVs. I believe this is possible through a 'game system adaptor.' Again, could someone point me in the right direction for one on Amazon or eBay please. (And perhaps explain what I need to do with it.)

3 – Can I play PAL/UK/Europe/|SECAM cartridges on an NTSC/US console?

I’d be very grateful for any help you folks can offer me in finding the answers to these questions.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Kind Regards,

Allan.