IGNORED

Master of the System (rare import version)

So I've been wanting a Sega Mark iii recently. There are some import games of love to play, and I started missing some domestic titles. But I haven't been able to get excited about the Mark iii. It's just... Hideous. The lack of a fm sound chip, 3D glasses hardware, etc was a turn off as well.

Well, I had some good luck! The uber rare Sega Master System, the import model made after the mark iii was phased out, landed in my lap today. Came boxed with an American game adapter, and two games with boxes. Space harrier and Alex Kidd. Thing is in phenomenal shape.

The Japanese Master System is backwards compatible with the SG-1000/Mark ii, obviously Mark iii games, and the Othello Multivision (no other Sega system is backwards compatible with that Taiwanese console). It has built in 3D glasses hardware (so nothing needs to be plugged into the card slot) and lacks plug and shielding ironically making it lighter. It also has the fm sound card inside already, unlike the mark iii.

I went to the local game store, and luck was in my side once more. I found complete in box copies of Rambo First Blood pt2, Penguin Land, Choplifter, Out Run (with full page poster ad for upcoming games, even some that were never released in America), and the elusive Ghouls 'n Ghosts!

I'll try to add some pictures.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 4

Neat! The history of the SMS is kind of convoluted isn't it? I need to get that FM cart someone made for the US SMS. I hear the music sounds awesome.

Yeah, honestly, I'm really excited to have a SMS with that inside it. So many versions I didn't even bring up that are out there. Lovely little system, can't wait to spend far too much on its library haha.

Got all 3 of them, Jap SMS, US SMS + FM mod, EU SMS 2 (with VDP 2) and 50/60 mod.

Some games do not work on Jap SMS due to the FM board, some games required the VDP2 hence the EU SMS that I have, some games MUST be run at 50Hz (Xenon II) etc...etc.... take your pick but there's no one version to play them all with the exception of the rare EU SMS 1 with VDP 2 that you can then add SMSFM sound to .... but I gave up given I found my EU SMS 2 for around 40US$ shipped from Germany (still need to perform the RGB mod on it, but got SVideo).

The FM sound is good but not mind blowing, and to play US games (or even use the MasterED) on the Jap SMS you need to get a cart adapter or a small mod and the exp connector adapter.

A very good site for all sms needs is http://www.smspower.org/ they may still sell Bock's exp adapter.

Got all 3 of them, Jap SMS, US SMS + FM mod, EU SMS 2 (with VDP 2) and 50/60 mod.

Some games do not work on Jap SMS due to the FM board, some games required the VDP2 hence the EU SMS that I have, some games MUST be run at 50Hz (Xenon II) etc...etc.... take your pick but there's no one version to play them all with the exception of the rare EU SMS 1 with VDP 2 that you can then add SMSFM sound to .... but I gave up given I found my EU SMS 2 for around 40US$ shipped from Germany (still need to perform the RGB mod on it, but got SVideo).

The FM sound is good but not mind blowing, and to play US games (or even use the MasterED) on the Jap SMS you need to get a cart adapter or a small mod and the exp connector adapter.

A very good site for all sms needs is http://www.smspower.org/ they may still sell Bock's exp adapter.

VDP2? Which games require that?

etim sell a FM sound card for the SMS, I might get that one soon.

Tho I listened and it's a bit hit and miss.

The FM sound chip is obviously less powerful than the Megadrive one, and you feel that in some games, the developers made a FM soundtrack "because the chip was there" without much talent or desire to do good.

Other games really enjoy it and it sounds fairly good. Tho IMO, Sega would have been better adding a pair of AY-3-8910 chips, which were very common, sounds decent enough, and well, with double ones, could make lots of decent soundtracks, especially if the original SMS chip was used solely for basic bleeps-and-bloops effects.

Of course, it would have made the SMS sounds very computer-like, but IMO, the graphics of the SMS LOOKS 8 bits computer-like. Probably because it use a TMS chip that was used in 8 bits computers (MSX1, TI99/4), with the standard resolutions and color palette of computers of the time.

Just in case anyone is curious this is the FM Converter made be DB electronics for use on the Genesis to activate FM sound from master system games.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini-fm.html

I know where there is a master system for sale locally here but I got the Power base converter so I wonder it if would be worth having. I am not looking to collect in essence but its neat to see one pop up now and then.

I have a question on the Mark II though being I have not seen one. For the Japan console since it came with the FM was that an option switch on it?

Neat! The history of the SMS is kind of convoluted isn't it? I need to get that FM cart someone made for the US SMS. I hear the music sounds awesome.

Friend of mine grabbed that. He said installation was pretty easy, and I can attest that the audio results are well worth it. Most of the games that can use FM synth sound better with it.

List of games that uses it is found here:

http://etim.net.au/smsfm/smsfm.html

The only games that had FM in Japan that had it removed in the west are Y's and Phantasy Star, due to cart space concerns. My personal favorite FM audio games: Kenseiden, Wonder Boy 3, Spellcaster, Power Strike, R-Type, Fantasy Zone 2, and Shinobi.

Edited by ubersaurus
  • Like 1

Is there a list of USA games that supported FM sound? And a list of non-USA games that had FM support removed when it was ported to USA?

And does it work in Game Gear with Master Gear converter?

With the master gear converter I am pretty sure you would have to modify that for the FM sound but to be fair I would just wonder why bother?

You would have to mod a Nomad as well or a Genesis 3 to make the FM mini base converter to work as well. But once again I think I would just ask why?

Figured I'd share. Some things I've figured out.

The master system's home screen music rocks! Why didn't the American system have something like this?

The Japanese version of the Ninja...half of its levels are completely different. And it's most certainly harder.

Space Harrier in 2D? YES PLEASE!

Built in rapid fire button??? Woo!

Loving this system. Not a scratch. Plastic still on the pads. So very happy!!!

Edited by MotoRacer

• 6 months later...