IGNORED

Opinions on upgrades and mods

Bikerbob

Hey all,

Well after a month on the scene, I have read a ton, looked into a bunch more, and I am very excited to do more with my 800xl.

SO..

800xl - Looking to do U1mb for sure. Thinking of Side2 and an SIO2USB at the same time.

This will give me 1mb to play (ram done) 4 OS to switch an SD HDD and a PC to use Telnet, printers, and transfer files etc.

- Stereo? Well if it will fit in above.. maybe.. but no rush.. unless it will not be available.. but what really takes advantage of this?

- UAV upgrade.. yes! as soon as a new one is produced (IT will fit with U1mb correct?)

Anything else? opinions? other items that are on your list that I should think of?

1050 - Stock at the moment.. Do I need to put a happy in it? OR do I just grab everything online.. or run ATR.. xex etc.. from the sio or Side2?

One thing I noticed.. both the U1mb and the Side2 run a RTC... do they conflict? can I turn them off? guess it makes my actual Cartridge not required anymore. :)

James

I have a 1050, but ever since I got an SIO2PC-USB I never use it. I got really spoiled by be able to keep everything in my DropBox, and having it available wherever I could get internet. And if you get the SIO2BT then even your phone or tablet can become your hard drive. Very cool indeed :)

- Michael

• Like 1

I use an old Thinkpad, set to stay running with the lid closed, placed under the monitor. Remote Desktop is turned on, so I remote in from any device ( even my phone) to set disk images.

I currently use an Owncloud installation for all of my Atari related files, much like mytekcontrols above.

As for the 800XL, add the Chroma line and get an svideo cable. There's a simple video upgrade in the forums that you can use until you get an UAV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have APE running on a Neoware thin client running XPe, and I enabled RDP server (multiple users, no CALs needed) :)

Well I know what APE is.. no idea on the rest of it :)

I also have right now a T40 laptop that is in closed mode and uner the monitor.. on a stand.. with my sio2pc (serial) I use APE on there.. trial version for now.. though I am almost positive I am going to register because its worth it.

So seems no one disputes the U1mb.. and UAV will fit in with it. No comments on the SIDE2.. plus or minus?

James

The Side2 definitely goes hand-in-hand with the U1MB. Very nice combination.

As for the Happy 1050, might want to consider the Mega Speedy instead, then you have practically all mods ever made for the 1050.

As far as I can find, you cant get a mega speedy anymore. Following threads I was not able to contact a fellow name wolf(something) at ABBCU

. . .no idea on the rest of it :)

It's simple. A Thin Client is a small computer with a solid state (flash) drive. XP Embedded is Windows XP that is specially tuned for devices with flash, and other small, embedded systems. Cash machines, POS terminals, and such. RDP hack means that I run it as a "headless" network device by using Windows Remote Desktop when I need to change a setting or something.

ok, so after all I talked about above, I have a local deal on an original 800 with 810 and a bunch of software, manuals etc..

SO, u1mb.. can that be done in the 800? or do I look at the incognito? IS the 800 an upgradable mod-able machine?

810.. I can do a happy I remember.. can this also get a mega?

James

ok, so after all I talked about above, I have a local deal on an original 800 with 810 and a bunch of software, manuals etc..

SO, u1mb.. can that be done in the 800? or do I look at the incognito? IS the 800 an upgradable mod-able machine?

810.. I can do a happy I remember.. can this also get a mega?

James

I believe you would be looking at an Incognito for that 800. Of course the man to ask would be Kyle ;) .

- Michael

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I am going to continue in this thread.. since its mine.. and let everyone know I did get an Incognito.

I did a lot of the project tonight.. but I did not get a 6pin IL F header with it, so I need to souce one.. out to the electronics store tomorrow.

Candle and others make some awesome hardware.. but some of these guys the installation instructions are not the greatest.

SO I thought I would post my install here.

Next post.. too tired tonight! :)

James

Well, I'll offer a little caution on the u1mb. I own three of them, and I've had them installed in xe and xl computers. They are not difficult to install, except for the very large ribbon cable connectors, and there are now enough pictures posted here that even that is not a big issue. Will it work well in your computer? Maybe. In about half my installations, I get video issues called "birdies." If you search here, you'll find pics, etc. If you are going to use a Side2, that improves your odds for a good video result, and they do work very well together. IMO, the new Antonia 4mb upgrade is a slightly better choice, but the Side2 totally doesn't work currently with Antonia. The plus to Antonia? Its tiny compared to u1mb, and a breeze to install. I took an Ultimate out to put Antonia in, and I love it. Odds you will be happy with u1mb? 80-90%. What do I like better? Antonia + MyIde-II. But if by chance you'd get a MyIde-II, you would need to tell Atarimax you want the firmware that works with Antonia. If you are going to use Sparta Dos X, sdx, then the Ultimate/Side2 is a better combination. If use an Atari dos such as MyDos, then that favors Antonia + MyIde-II. Another point favoring u1mb -- it's been around several years, while Antonia is brand new. Anyway, another point of view.

-Larry

I wonder if there's some undiagnosed issue with NTSC machines regarding U1MB, since I've installed about twenty Ultimates and never encountered the "birdies" problem (in fact the only hardware combination I own which has a birdie issue is one of my IDE Plus 2.0 devices when hooked up to an U1MB machine; my other IDE Plus 2.0 shows no problem at all on the same computer). In fact this includes a number of NTSC 1200XLs. Have you encountered a situation whereby the SIDE2 fixes your birdies issue?

It's worth pointing out that the referenced cooperation between U1MB and SIDE does not solely depend on one's use of SDX. Ultimate 1MB when used with SIDE provides an OS compliant PBI hard disk which is not dependent on usage of SpartaDOS X in any way. Moreover, the combo has been tested with MyDOS and SpartaDOS 3.x, and you may boot either from the PBI hard disk.

Hi Jon-

Lots of factors seem to be involved. But in all cases, the machines I used had no birdies prior to installing the Ultimate (U.) Right now, I have only one U. in service in an 800XL Perfect video all the time, regardless of what is connected to it.

Worst of the lot was an otherwise excellent 130XE. Looked really bad with U. installed. Nothing fixed it, so I took it out. XL's have not been so bad. Sometimes, moving the U. pcb an inch or so cures the problem. Sometimes, re-routing the OS ribbon cable helps it. In one case, carefully covering the pcb and ribbon bundle with aluminum foil (sort of a make-shift RF shield) fixed it. In some cases, I have not found birdies until I've used a PBI drive -- usually the IDE+2, but BB/MIO also. In cases where there is a drive "hanging off"" the PBI, then the length of the 50-pin ribbon cable connecting them affects them. Generally, shorter is better. Direct connect with no ribbon cable seems to cure it 100%. Antic can affect it. Changing Antic can lessen the issue. What I haven't done (yet) is experiment with shortening the ribbon cables of the U.

IMO, its the big board and ribbon connectors that causes it. I'm guessing that you did not connect a PBI drive (not a SIDE2) on the 1200XL's that you mentioned?

Can the SIDE2 cure it? Yes, that or a MyIDE-II as a HD as opposed to an IDE+2, etc. eliminates it on marginal birdie machines.

Anyway, that's what I've seen.

-Larry

post-8008-0-35273800-1468840725_thumb.jpg

Lots of factors seem to be involved. But in all cases, the machines I used had no birdies prior to installing the Ultimate (U.) Right now, I have only one U. in service in an 800XL Perfect video all the time, regardless of what is connected to it.

Worst of the lot was an otherwise excellent 130XE. Looked really bad with U. installed. Nothing fixed it, so I took it out. XL's have not been so bad. Sometimes, moving the U. pcb an inch or so cures the problem. Sometimes, re-routing the OS ribbon cable helps it. In one case, carefully covering the pcb and ribbon bundle with aluminum foil (sort of a make-shift RF shield) fixed it. In some cases, I have not found birdies until I've used a PBI drive -- usually the IDE+2, but BB/MIO also. In cases where there is a drive "hanging off"" the PBI, then the length of the 50-pin ribbon cable connecting them affects them. Generally, shorter is better. Direct connect with no ribbon cable seems to cure it 100%. Antic can affect it. Changing Antic can lessen the issue. What I haven't done (yet) is experiment with shortening the ribbon cables of the U.

Yes - I recall you documenting some of these dramas (I certainly remember the aluminium foil). Of course you're absolutely correct regarding the exacerbation of the Phi2/bus capacitance issue we all tire of hearing and talking about. ;) If you encountered issues after hanging more stuff off the bus (via the PBI), then I can empathise with that situation (the aforementioned pair of IDE Plus 2.0 units, one of which is blighted by birdies when hooked up to my 1200XL, while the other - older - unit is absolutely fine).

The other occasions I encountered birdies were using a 600XL with a mangled Antic socket (poor connectivity or shorts on the address lines), and the Ultimate SD cart before Schmidt-Trigger Phi2 logic was implemented on the cartridge (itself designed to compensate for skewed timing).

IMO, its the big board and ribbon connectors that causes it. I'm guessing that you did not connect a PBI drive (not a SIDE2) on the 1200XL's that you mentioned?

Heh... well, the only 1200XL to which I am able to connect an external PBI device is my own, since it's the only one I've had in my hands with a PBI connector. That's one machine which exhibits (slight) birdies with one IDE Plus 2.0 and not with another. The machine is bursting with internal upgrades aside from U1MB, however, so it's perhaps not surprising.

Aside from my own four U1MB machines (all equipped with Candle-era boards) which are stable in day to day usage (as they must be, since the U1MB BIOS is now tested on these computers), my situation is perhaps unusual since all the rest of the installations were done for other people. Therefore giving up in the face of problems wasn't really an option, and in some dozen or more cases, those 3-4 installs which proved troublesome were certified working by the time I had found a fix. I never encountered birdies (even when testing these other, less heavily upgraded machines with IDE Plus), but I did encounter reset-line related problems which are dealt with by the 100pf cap fix dreamed up by Hias which is now hopefully near the top of the U1MB troubleshooting checklist.

Can the SIDE2 cure it? Yes, that or a MyIDE-II as a HD as opposed to an IDE+2, etc. eliminates it on marginal birdie machines.

Birdies aside, SIDE2 perhaps offers some kind of bus termination (and my level of insight prevents me from speculating further). Perhaps any cartridge would do the same.

Another fix (aside from IC swaps, as you mention) is to change the PLCC flash ROM in the U1MB itself.

Every experience is different, and it depends how dogged one is in overcoming problems. I did not hear any complaints from those to whom the dozen or so U1MB machines were sent back after completion (aside from one 800XL finished some years ago whose problems were recently discovered to be completely fixed by replacing the Amic flash ROM with an SST), so for that reason I still hold the upgrade in a positive light. If my own machines or those I'd worked on were blighted by issues I'd be the first one to look for alternative memory upgrades. Being armed with a few fast-acting remedies (capacitor, 74LS chip swaps, etc) really makes life a lot easier when the odd problem does crop up.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll be installing Antonia in someone's machine this week, so I look forward to a problem-free experience. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Well, I have my U1mb installed in my Hong Kong 800xl.. and I love it.. so far excellent. Now I have no PBI devices. I used SIO2pc, and I am happy with that type of "HD"

I am doing the install on the Incognito right now. With the Candle visual install there are a few things that would help the install proceed easier, and I think the lack of written instructions are just a factor of language barrier, nothing more.. I am sure he would have been more detailed if english was his first written language.

Anyway.. off to the store this morning for a switch.. what do I call that type of switch at the store btw? and a 6pin IL F header. Then tonight to finish my install. This would be of more value to people me doing a details install, except there are few uninstalled incognitos left out there.. :)

James

With the Candle visual install there are a few things that would help the install proceed easier, and I think the lack of written instructions are just a factor of language barrier, nothing more.. I am sure he would have been more detailed if english was his first written language.

I just want to check: we are both looking at the same instructions?

http://spiflash.org/index.php/block/30.html

I've noticed Candle and others for whom English isn't the first language being unusually lucid and precise, perhaps because they're taking great pains to master the dialect. :)

...what do I call that type of switch at the store btw? and a 6pin IL F header. Then tonight to finish my install. This would be of more value to people me doing a details install, except there are few uninstalled incognitos left out there.. :)

The ATR button is a "tactile switch" (as per the caption on Candle's photo). The six way header, meanwhile (unnamed in the install guide) is commonly known as a "Dupont" header. You'll want a six way and three way Dupont housing, although you can cut down larger ones easily enough.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Well, I guess its just a matter of style then Flash, I dont want to talk bad about anyone, I LOVE all the contributions everyone makes to my ATARI hobby.. so I have nothing bad to say about anyone!! :)

James

ps - got headers ok.. 3pk - a proper crimper for those pins $65!! anyone know what to look for on ebay? I would like to buy a cheaper crimper.,

Edited by Bikerbob