IGNORED

HSC13 R8: Manic Miner & Best Ports "Tourney Round"

Giving a second chance to Manic Miner... very frustrating, but addictive, grrrr...

:thumbsup: I'm going to have another crack at M.M. over the next couple of evenings. Still been Spectipeding... I'm sure at 170K the game is out to get me but somehow I made 200K :-o

200,388 :)

Reminder: THIS ROUND EXTENDED UNTIL THURSDAY 26TH (10PM UK TIME)

ROUND 9 POLL OPEN :)

Anyone got any thoughts on the games? I can't seem to make progress on Deathchase or Stampede, Bobby Bearing though very slick seems like you can't get anywhere without having a printed map (though I'm not so good at these games), Spectipede is fricking insane :-o

:)

I've got a few more scores to post:

Bug Attack - 8,747 (130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-09887700-1464128404_thumb.jpg

Galaga (PET) - 27,320 (130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-07678700-1464128414_thumb.jpg

Perplexity - 4,790 (130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-24480300-1464128415_thumb.jpg

Stampede - 940 (XEGS, NTSC)

post-4925-0-27105000-1464128416_thumb.jpg

Deathchase XE - 34,508 (130XE, NTSC)

post-4925-0-68985600-1464128423_thumb.jpg

I can't believe that I still have another four games to play still. This has been a long round. Too bad that Gold Mine wasn't part of this round. I showed this to a friend last week and we played it like maniacs for three days straight. Sometimes the simplest games can be the best!

Adam

Well,

here are two Bobby Bearing maps... maybe you can get a bit further then.

These are pretty good and friendly but I need some ink for my printer :twisted:

DC - reached sector 8, day patrol, but now I have less points that on sector 7. Not ended game yet ;(

I enjoy playing but can't make progress.

I can't believe that I still have another four games to play still. This has been a long round. Too bad that Gold Mine wasn't part of this round. I showed this to a friend last week and we played it like maniacs for three days straight. Sometimes the simplest games can be the best!

Adam

The Roklan one we've played here a couple of times - yes pretty good though very hard too see on PAL CRT re artifacting.

CAN WE HAVE SOME MORE PIGGING VOTES PLEASE EVERYONE: ROUND 9 POLL :)

I played a few more games:

Metagalactic Llamas: Battle at the Edge of Time - 16,914 (Emulation, PAL)

Metagalactic Llamas is a really fun game-- once you realize how to play it using the walls to bounce your shots around. I'll certainly come back to this one again-- and I plan to try to play it on a real Vic-20 this summer (if my friend ends up fixing his system). It's too bad this game doesn't work on NTSC machines. My wife watched me play this game yesterday and she thought the game was pretty odd. I wonder what gave her that idea?!?

post-4925-0-07068300-1464197196_thumb.gif

Bobby Bearing - This is a great looking game with smooth gameplay on a real NTSC system... but, alas!, the game is really too big-- so no score for me! In the mid-to-late 80s I would have really dug into this game. Maybe I'll try this one again in a catch-up round. Or maybe leave this one game open for a few rounds so people can explore it.

Spectipede - Crashes on NTSC! (130XE, NTSC, loaded from disk image using sio2sd)

post-4925-0-12361300-1464197197_thumb.jpg

I can play Spectipede on real NTSC hardware, but only if I start a game right away. However, both the regular and the "no dots" version of Spectipede crash from the title screen if the game is not started within a few seconds. This is really quite annoying, as otherwise, the game seems to play fine. Did any other NTSC players experience this issue? I'll play Spectipede under emulation in PAL format.

I've really only got Manic Miner left to really play. The good news is that this game seems to play just like the Spectrum version (at least through level 3-- which is how far I can get). The bad news is... I don't like the Spectrum original. Manic Miner just left me with a taste to play Miner 2049er. So... that's a good thing, right? I ended up playing both Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back! for quite a while. Both of those games are fantastic. Now it's going to be even harder to dig into Manic Miner.

Adam

Seeing as we have a lack of votage for the next round can we extend this round until Sunday?

I just broke the deadlock.

Mr M for the win ;)

Will this round ever end?!!! Don't make me play more Spectipede :-o

OK FINAL EXTENSION to the longest round in HSC history... Sunday 12PM UK TIME.

Ha! It's still tied so someone VOTE :)

Tables UPDATED