IGNORED

35 Years and Counting - The Story of Pinball Pete's

I ran across a fun little Q-and-A style article I wrote back in 2012, and thought I'd share it with y'all. :)

It's an interview with Ted Arnold, the current owner and one of the founders of Pinball Pete's, the arcade in East Lansing and Ann Arbor. Pinball Pete's, both the East Lansing and the short-lived Frandor locations, were my video game and pinball hangout. It was awesome to talk to Ted, and learn how three young brothers ended up starting an arcade. You'll also learn some of the "secrets" like why the pink elephant logo, and who was Pete exactly?

Here is the PDF version of the article, straight from my website. I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

Just thirty five years? Gee, I thought it was longer than that.

I remember back in, oh, 2004, some AtariAge and Digital Press members came together at one of these for a historic peace treaty, or just to play some video games. I'm not sure. Good times, good times!

• Like 1

Just thirty five years? Gee, I thought it was longer than that.

I remember back in, oh, 2004, some AtariAge and Digital Press members came together at one of these for a historic peace treaty, or just to play some video games. I'm not sure. Good times, good times!

Well, I wrote it four years ago, and they opened for business in 1977, so the title IS a bit outdated.... 39 years and counting is now accurate. :)

It's still the place to meet up in our area. I went there last month and played pinball with a couple of old friends.

Well, I wrote it four years ago, and they opened for business in 1977, so the title IS a bit outdated.... 39 years and counting is now accurate. :)

It's still the place to meet up in our area. I went there last month and played pinball with a couple of old friends.

What's the classic arcade situation there these days? I stopped in a few years ago and it was pretty slim, but they had a few good games.

What's the classic arcade situation there these days? I stopped in a few years ago and it was pretty slim, but they had a few good games.

I have to admit, I didn't end up paying a lot of attention to the video games on my last visit. We were on a pinball mission, and played several different pinball games. Alcohol may have been involved as well.

I know Ted has a giant warehouse filled with all the old games, most of which still work, but he keeps the "money makers" out front. Apparently the DDR games bring in the money. I do know they have Galaga, but then again, who doesn't?

The pictures I took in 2012 had several Daytona and other racing games. I suspect those are still around too.

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Thanks for posting, interesting read :) Been to the East Lansing one, still need to check out Ann Arbor.

Thanks! I enjoyed interviewing Ted. I also enjoyed being in the arcade with no one else around. He let me stick around for a bit and play a few games in near darkness. :)

I've actually never been to the Ann Arbor one either. I was, originally, going to drive there and take photos for the magazine that commissioned me to do the article, but that didn't pan out. It sounds huge, so I really need to get out there. Maybe one of these days we can set up another AA "meeting" there. There've been a few, but I've missed them all.