IGNORED

Turbo Chameleon Atari 800 Core?

Draugr

Hi folks.

I'm thinking of getting the Turbo Chameleon from icomp.de. Obviously I'm interested in it for the C64 core, but for the price I was hoping for more and see it also supports a few other cores one of which is the Atari 800/XL. Does anyone here have a TC and have you tried the 800/XL core? If so how close to using the real thing is the 800/XL core? I guess I mean how complete is it? I assume you can mount cart and disk images to load, but is there support for Atarimax Flash Carts, SIDE2, U1MB, etc... Also how is the implementation of the actual system? Is it on a level similar to the completeness of the C64 core, or is there still alot of work to be done? If the Atari 800/XL core is far enough along and usable that would make my choice of picking up the TC a lot easier.

Any info is appreciated.

John

Edited by Draugr

Hi John,

I was hoping someone who uses the core would answer this. As I developed (much of) it I have some bias:)

Anyway it will run almost all software properly. NML32 tested lots of games and the core runs close to 100%. It supports fewer screen modes than the chameleon c64 core though, so you need a monitor that works at 50Hz for PAL and 60Hz for NTSC.

It has an integrated sdrive for loading atr and xex files from sd. It also has Hias' cartridge emulation, again loaded from sd.

However there is no support for SIDE/ultimate. Though you can select memory, change os rom etc.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi foft-

I looked at getting a TC several years ago for my C64, but since I don't use my C64 very much, I just couldn't justify the cost. But throw the Atari and maybe an Amiga into the mix, that might be different. BTW, are these still being sold?

Is there info somewhere that explains what it does support on the Atari XL? From what I've read (mostly about the C64 version), I presume that an Atari user would operate it in stand-alone mode (perhaps using the docking station), using a PS2 keyboard. And this runs with a 6510-compatible cpu? TC memory can be configured so that it would be compatible with the nomal "banked ram" scheme typically used on A8 expansions? What about loading/saving programs?

Any videos available of the TC running as an Atari XL? Sorry for all the questions, but maybe it will help some other folks here, also.

Thanks,

Larry

I am not sure about availability, though someone just asked on the chameleon list (perhaps the op?) so sure we will know soon!

It works in Standalone and C64 mode. Though joystick ports are useful so either the docking station or C64 mode are recommended. In C64 mode the C64 keyboard and joystick ports may be used. In docking station mode the PS2 keyboard and 2 of the joystick ports (it has 4 but I have not yet made an 800 setup).

The CPU is the same as the C64 core one, Peter kindly let me use it. It is very timing compatible and supports all the illegal ops.

Memory is the sdram chip on the Chameleon. It is mapped as a standard port B expansion, with a mux to select 64K,128K, 320K, 576KB or 1MB. With Antic banked optional in 320K or 576K mode.

There is an integrated sdrive and cartemu for loading programs. Put them on an SD card then use F12 to get a menu where you can select. The manual explains this more, where to put files etc.

There is only one video I made but the mist videos and mcc216 videos should give you an idea how it works.

• Like 1

I have a TC64 but haven't tried any other cores with it yet... as a C64 upgrade, it is amazing. You may want to check out the MiST, as there are a bunch of cores available for it including Amiga AGA, Atari ST, Apple II, C64, Atari 800 (same basic core from the TC64 I think), Spectrum, BBC Model B, etc. It is a stand alone device with VGA out and uses USB keyboards/mice/joysticks. Lotharek sells it online:

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

I have one and I think it is great.

The Chameleon is a magnificent piece of hardware for 8-bit enthusiasts. C64 is it's strength(especially if you use with a real C64), but it does very well with a host of other cores from A8 to Apple II, Amiga, 2600, Colecovision, etc.

I have an extra (along with the 4 joystick port docking port) and might be willing to part with it for my cost (FYI, 249,90 € + Shipping). It was YEARS between the last few batches being made, which is why I bought 2 when they became available.

Sounds like you are experienced! What parts of the C64 does the TC use? Maybe just the keyboard, or does it use actual chips like SID? Is the speed selectable via menu or such? I presume the FPGA includes a pseudo-6510?

Any good links on how it does its magic?

Thanks,

Larry