IGNORED

29 years later... full XEGS CIB Collection

A journey that started 29 years ago came to completion the other day. My father bought me my first gaming system, the Atari XEGS upon release in 1987, but never bought me any more games for it, believing the 3 that had come with the system were enough (:D).

Ever since then, looking at all the pics of games on offer on the back of the console box, and playing the demos at my local department store (Myer, Dandenong), I wanted them all! Now, nearly 3 decades after, with the sealed Kareteka that arrived last Wednesday, I have every single Atari XEGS game complete in box : )

Thank you dad for starting me on my gaming journey with this most interesting and cool little pastel buttoned system. I wish you were here to reminisce with me. May you rest in peace. ?

post-4088-0-46179800-1462099559_thumb.jpg

• Like 36

Congratulations on getting a full XEGS collection! I'm still kicking myself for selling my CIB copy of Airball.

I love the XEGS games, and I wish that Atari had made more of them. The only disappointment is the boxes: they were a different size than Atari's 2600/7800 boxes, and as far as I know, there are no box protectors that can fit them. I've got a few XEGS boxed games that I'd love to have protectors for.

• Like 1

Wow. Really beautiful! Congrats on completing the set!

I remember seeing many of those titles for sale in Toys R'Us back around 1991, and thinking "well I already have those on disk... so I will save my money and buy games like Hawkquest instead". Regret that decision now, just like I regret not picking up Rayman and Tempest 2000 for the Jag when they were on close out.

My late Father also bought me my first Atari, the 65XE in my case. It came with 10 games and he had the idea that I only needed maybe another 5.

I remember my Mother counting all my tapes just around 6 months after getting the system and she said to my Father in front of me, "He has 38 tapes, I counted them all!".

It was thought that I was being greedy! :)

My late Father also bought me my first Atari, the 65XE in my case. It came with 10 games and he had the idea that I only needed maybe another 5.

I remember my Mother counting all my tapes just around 6 months after getting the system and she said to my Father in front of me, "He has 38 tapes, I counted them all!".

I have him to thank for a career in computing. If he'd never given me a ZX81 and putting a thick manual into a 6 year old's hands and saying, "Read it!", I'd never have gone into IT.

Then he got me the Atari around 2 or 3 years later.

• Like 2

Beautiful sight and a nice even 30 boxed too! :love:

Hehe, yeah, and that's the first time i've seen them all like that myself :lust:

That's dedication....Look great...

Congratulations on getting it all and condolences re your Dad...

Thank you and thank you

Nice! It's hard enough to get a lot of those loose.

Are you also collecting the XE proto / repros? They're really part of the family to me, and some of the best of the lot, even if they don't have boxes.

Yes, i could have had it a looooot earlier if i was willing to have them loose, but i just had to have the whole set CIB, just to take me back to that department store almost 30 years ago where i would just stare and marvel at all the games i 'could have' had that were sitting on the store shelves :)

:-o:thumbsup:

I've made peace with the fact I will probably never get games like Karateka even loose, let alone CIB or NIB!

Great collection and great story!

Never say never ;) and thank you.

Congratulations on getting a full XEGS collection! I'm still kicking myself for selling my CIB copy of Airball.

I love the XEGS games, and I wish that Atari had made more of them. The only disappointment is the boxes: they were a different size than Atari's 2600/7800 boxes, and as far as I know, there are no box protectors that can fit them. I've got a few XEGS boxed games that I'd love to have protectors for.

Thanks. The Airball that i have is only the 3rd CIB Airball i have ever seen for sale in my life - and only ever online :skull: As for the boxes, as this was my first introduction to Atari i find these the 'norm' though i do understand where you are coming from. i have not seen any box protectors for these either, but if i ever do i will let you know ;-)

Wow. Really beautiful! Congrats on completing the set!

I remember seeing many of those titles for sale in Toys R'Us back around 1991, and thinking "well I already have those on disk... so I will save my money and buy games like Hawkquest instead". Regret that decision now, just like I regret not picking up Rayman and Tempest 2000 for the Jag when they were on close out.

Thank you. The only time i ever saw these on the shelves was at full retail of $40 AUD « that's why my father though it was too much as i already had 3 to keep me busy :D Speaking of Rayman for the Jag, i recently swapped my CIB copy to a mate for a loose Lynx Lemmings box and a loose Fat Bobby cart to help near complete my CIB Lynx collection. I know i could have got a lot more on eBay but i'd rather put a smile on a fellow Jag collector's face :)

Nice! I scored a NIB Karateka XE years ago, where did you get yours?

eBay (US)

Wow it's the best retrocollecting goal.

ABSOLUTELY! :D

my xe collection, not complete..... again 2/3 things...

collecXE.jpg

Rhod, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! :love: While i now have what i've always wanted as a kid (as Australia only had the big set as far as i know), i have been after the other 5 complete boxed editions for a few years now. I almost bought one last year (only one i've seen for sale) but it was incomplete :sad: These 5 are now my next XEGS achievement goal :music:

Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing in the mutual enjoyment!

There's an NIB Karateka XE available at Eight Bit Fix.

I'm not sure if there is! The seller advertised it in AA Marketplace. I responded with a reply as well as a PM saying i would buy it. Few days later i was told he put it up on eBay to see how it goes on there.

Yeah, okay "Really Badly" being the key word... I bought a minty loose one and three other XE carts for $75 (ebay)...

I was willing to pay the price to complete my CIB collection, and i know another XEGS collector who is missing a CIB Karateka to complete his collection that would have payed the same, even though he already has a loose Karateka. I passed up many cheaper loose carts to go for the complete set, but then again, to each their own :)

Similar stories, though you had a much better deal with the 10 games, I still only had my 3 bundled games for three years before my dad finally buckled and bought me an Atari 520 STFM "for school" that came with the BEST 20 pack in games in all of history (The POWER PACK), saying that i now have 20 games and he will never need to buy me any more! :lol:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It all looks great. Too bad that only about 30+ cartridges were ever released as XEGS cartridges and such a small amount of totally new games...

I'm just starting to collect 8-bit cartridges again myself, with just 8-10 at the moment. I used to own about 30 or more, but they were all lost with all my Atari 8-bit software about 20 years ago in a move. But I intend to collect as many loose and CIB cartridges as I can, from the 400/800 to the XEGS.

Edited by Gunstar