IGNORED

Anguna (WIP Homebrew) -- Feedback Wanted

gauauu

About the arrow/sword issue, it could just be a lack of familiarity. A note pad or word doc that contains instructions might solve the problem. I'll have a better sense of things as I play more :)

The short version: if you tap the button, it uses the sword. If you hold it, it shoots an arrow.

In addition, I got stuck in a lake (please see pic below).

Got it. I'll try to find and fix that.

• Like 1

Hmmm, it looks like there's also an issue in the overworld where occasionally you randomly warp around to the wrong room sometimes. Probably makes it hard for you guys to explore and find your way around..... :-/

Edited by gauauu

The short version: if you tap the button, it uses the sword. If you hold it, it shoots an arrow.

Got it. I'll try to find and fix that.

Loving the arrows!!! Can't believe I hadn't thought of holding down the button...feels intuitive now.

Got further along this time and built up a bit of an arsenal.

post-21941-0-87935400-1462495700_thumb.jpg

Well I tried the previous version of the game again and the arrows were like I remembered, easy enough to use or not use. Then I tried the new version again and the arrows were fine this time, just like the first version. ??? I am pretty sure it was functioning differently earlier in the day because i really couldn't avoid using arrows that time. .. So consider that it is possible that (for some reason) the arrow mechanic may not always work properly. .. When it does work for me it works just fine and it's a pretty cool control scheme. .. It's possible i'm just having hardware issues. I've had it sometimes with this console/joystick that i can't move Left and have to reset the console to get it to work again.

I am getting better at the combat, but I find the angle the sword/dagger comes out at to be less than intuitive. I would prefer it more if it came out waist level

I didn't see this as a problem myself, but it does help to explain a circumstance i encountered several times. Some enemies who are smaller than the hero are small enough that they can't be stabbed horizontally when they are on the same footing as the player. Like the enemy can be at the very bottom and when you are also at the very bottom you can't stab or shoot them because they are below your stab/shot. Maybe just part of the challenge.

Is it the difficulty in making contact with your sword that's frustrating? Or do you think it's some other aspect?

I don't know that there's a right way and it also depends on what you think this game is about and what it means to you. For me the combat is not exactly too difficult. It's just lacking a hook for me. I can think of some games that are pretty monotonous but actually still fun and addictive, because the action is really well articulated or because the graphics or sound have a lot of substance to them, so that it's perpetually gratifying to fire your weapon and see/hear the consequence of that. Your game is not just about action and i think you can get away with not perfecting that aspect.

If it does seem justified to you to focus on the combat, maybe you could try to imagine the game without any adventure elements and pretend that it was only a single screen arcade game, and try to tinker with it until it feels like a fun game unto itself. It's worthwhile having a close look at other games, even ones you are already familiar with, (why is this one or that one more fun than this or that other very similar one?), and you can take ideas and inspiration from other games.

I said that the dragon boss in Anguna was fun for me. The apparent difference between the dragon and the other enemies in the game is that there is a clear pattern and a clear goal. It is a purposeful encounter.

Edited by gliptitude

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been fixing a number of the bugs you mentioned, and fleshing out the rest of the world map. I'm hoping to have another build up in a couple weeks, which will be a first draft at the entire game. I'll keep you posted!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been fixing a number of the bugs you mentioned, and fleshing out the rest of the world map. I'm hoping to have another build up in a couple weeks, which will be a first draft at the entire game. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks to you for continuing with the game. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I've been quiet for a bit, trying to finish the game up. Tonight, I finished my first playthrough of the entire game (5 dungeons, 5 bosses, 5 treasures, 6 keys, 8 powerups), so it's almost ready to unleash on you guys for some more testing. I need to load it onto my harmony and test (which I haven't done on hardware for a good while), and if that works out, I'll post a new build here soon!

• Like 3

Ok, I finally have a completed version of the game ready for you guys to hammer on and test! I've attached a rough draft of the manual, which might help explain some of the items/secrets/etc.

At this point, the gameplay/features aren't likely to change significantly, but I'm interested in any bugs or issues you run into. Please also comment about the difficulty level, particularly if any one type of enemy seems too easy or too difficult. And if you see any typos or confusing text in the manual, I'd love to hear about it as well!

I played through it all on my Harmony cart on my Jr yesterday, so it should work fine on hardware, but please let me know if you see any issues with rolling/crashing on hardware.

Also, if you find bugs for me, I'd love to add your name to the manual as a tester, so if you do find issues, let me know how I should credit you.

Thanks all!

anguna_b1_20160722.bin

angunaManual_20160722.pdf

Edited by gauauu
  • Like 6

Sorry for being lame, but I don't have access to my Atari just yet this morning, so I figured I'd share a few quick suggestions on the manual.

On the "How to play" page:

"Some enemies take multiple hits, or even special items, to destroy them". I think you can safely remove all commas in this sentence.

On the "Secrets" page

"Defeating all the enemies in a room may uncover hidden items, or open hidden doors". You can safely remove that comma.

On the "Switches" page,

1) "Be warned, by flipping" - Change that comma to a semicolon

2) The third graphic looks really zoomed out compared to the first two. It makes it hard to see the door that's obvious in the second screenshot. Maybe replace it with a screesnhot that is at the same zoom level as the other ones?

3) The second row of text for the switch picture text sort of bleeds into the manual underneath. Not sure if you can add another blank line after the last "this door open" for readability. It looks like there may additional space above the switch pictures that you can borrow from, if needed.

On the "About Anguna" page:

"and completed it in 2008, with the help of Chris". You can safely remove that comma

Need a period at the end of the second paragraph.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but I figured these may be helpful. It looks great! Can't wait to try it.

-John

• Like 1

Sorry for being lame, but I don't have access to my Atari just yet this morning, so I figured I'd share a few quick suggestions on the manual.

Not lame at all, I appreciate your edits! Thanks!

Awesome work, my friend!

Thanks Tim, I appreciate your help, and can't wait to see what the art looks like!

Started to play this tonight. So far looks great. Our lyrics thing I haven't liked is where the sword cones out. Might be a personal preference but at least for the horizontal stuff I'd be much nicer if the sword came out around the waist or at least a little lower.

Otherwise looking good so far. Def want to play more.

• Like 1

I just gave it a try. So far, so good. I think the difficulty level makes sense, and the map seems to be large, fun, and explorable.

I do agree that the sword being off-center feels a little weird. I think it's probably because we're all used to Zelda-ish games where the sword comes right out of the front.

I think the issue is more that I'm just not used to it than it being a problem; I'm pretty sure it would be fine in time. However, I did check the GBC version, and it seems like the sword hits from front and center on each hit. So, I'm wondering-- is the reason that the sword is at eye-level for left/right hits and on the right-hand-side for up/down hits due to limitations in the screen kernal, or just a stylistic choice?

-John

Thanks for your feedback! The off-center of the sword was a somewhat stylistic choice (primarily to match the character graphics, but I ended up liking the non-symmetrical feel it gave to combat), but it sounds like in general, people feel that it makes it worse, not better.

I'll try to give you guys a build with a centered sword by later today, and see if that feels better.

• Like 1

Might be a personal preference but at least for the horizontal stuff I'd be much nicer if the sword came out around the waist or at least a little lower.

I do agree that the sword being off-center feels a little weird.

The sword off center thing is very off putting for me. The game concept is great but the sword thing makes it less fun.

The attached version has a sword that's closer to centered on the character. Does it feel better?

(I think it looks worse, I wonder if I can tweak the character graphics to make it animate better)

anguna_centered_sword_20160726.bin

Edited by gauauu

For the look, could you perhaps give the blade the same color as the boots

Unfortunately, no. The blade is going to be the same color as whatever part of the character that is even with it horizontally. That's baked into the kernel and would be nearly impossible to change.

Just from the short time I think battle is much better.

I don't think one looks better than the other. They are awkward lines jutting out no matter where placed, but I do think the coming out of head looks the most awkward.

Definitely is working on being on my short list for a homebrew to get if AA releases on cart.