Photo

What is the best version of BASIC for the ST for general purpose questions?

15 replies to this topic

#1 atarifanboi OFFLINE  

atarifanboi

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 2:19 AM

I've become interested in programming on the ST, and I'm looking for some recommendations as to what is the best general purpose programming version of BASIC that I can use.

Also, if there are any recommendations around possible alternatives to BASIC, I'd be happy to hear your opinions.

Thanks all.

#2 Thorsten GŁnther OFFLINE  

Thorsten GŁnther

Stargunner

• 1,159 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 6:47 AM

I've become interested in programming on the ST, and I'm looking for some recommendations as to what is the best general purpose programming version of BASIC that I can use.

Also, if there are any recommendations around possible alternatives to BASIC, I'd be happy to hear your opinions.

Thanks all.

I am not really a programmer, but I dislike C (and relatives) and learned to enjoy Niklaus Wirth's languages in school, of which Modula-2 gained the most popularity on the ST (Oxyd e.g. was programmed in Modula-2).

Megamax Modula-2 is available for free from Thomas Tempelmann's site.

Here in Germany, GFA BASIC was the most successful and thus best supported version of BASIC, but I always admired the more system compliant approach of HiSoft BASIC.

#3 galax OFFLINE  

galax

Dragonstomper

• 747 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 7:16 AM

I would go with GFA Basic; fast, popular, compile-able, re-usable libraries, clean syntax, lots of example code, no line numbers and English documentation. It became popular in the UK too; version 3.5 was even given away with ST Format in June 1992.

#4 Justin Payne OFFLINE  

Justin Payne

Dragonstomper

• 866 posts
  • Busy updating XEGS Podcast website to Angular6

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 7:32 AM

What kind of applications are you interested in programming? If it's games, like platformers, you'll probably have to deal with C and Assembly. Anything else and you might find those others easier to learn and have more success.

Edited by Justin Payne, Thu May 5, 2016 7:32 AM.

#5 atarifanboi OFFLINE  

atarifanboi

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 8:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I do have a version of Hisoft and GFA, and I'm keen to look at whatever is well documented, so GFA sounds good. I'm not specifically looking to program games, just to look at utilities and get my head around some simple stuff, utilities maybe.

#6 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,903 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 12:52 PM

GFA would probably be easier and you can also use .RSC files for GEM interfacing, plus there a loads of source code to learn from...

#7 pixelmischief OFFLINE  

pixelmischief

Stargunner

• 1,288 posts

Posted Thu May 5, 2016 2:30 PM

If you are decided on avoiding C, and are leaning toward a BASIC derivative, GFA BASIC is almost certainly the right call.  In addition to those reasons cited by the others, I would mention that this forum enjoys the company of some seriously accomplished GFA programmers.  You are certain to get some seriously excellent support for your efforts if you go that way.

#8 atarifanboi OFFLINE  

atarifanboi

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted Fri May 6, 2016 2:53 AM

Thans everyone, I think GFA is probably the way I will go for now, it sounds like the best option all round.

#9 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,053 posts

Posted Sat May 7, 2016 2:34 AM

What kind of applications are you interested in programming? If it's games, like platformers, you'll probably have to deal with C and Assembly. Anything else and you might find those others easier to learn and have more success.

That is absolutely not true though. Take a look at Roger and r0x, both games written with GFA, GFA has a very good optimizing compiler as LP can attest. By the time the language becomes the bottleneck in your programming, you are going to be doing great things already.

#10 lp060 OFFLINE  

lp060

Chopper Commander

• 245 posts
  • GFA Coder

Posted Sat Oct 1, 2016 10:31 AM

I'm hitting this thread really late. ;)

Even though HiSoft BASIC appears system compliant on the surface, it will break under MiNT and the compile option will be completely borked. At one point I bought HiSoft v2 but that was a deal breaker, I was hooked on multi-tasking, so I went right back to GFA.  In all fairness the GFA editor also doesn't do well under MiNT, however there is a patch for the original GFA editor. No doubt GFA has better support.

#11 opcode OFFLINE  

opcode

River Patroller

• 4,585 posts
  • Bringing new life to your ColecoVision!

Posted Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:38 PM

Has anyone ever tried LDW Basic? How does that compare to GFA?

#12 lp060 OFFLINE  

lp060

Chopper Commander

• 245 posts
  • GFA Coder

Posted Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:26 PM

I never really used LDW, but this review might be helpful:

http://www.atarimaga...piledBASIC.html

#13 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,479 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 AM

Compiled ST Basic? Sign me up already!

...but oh jeez, the licensing fees would drive me bankrupt :P.

#14 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

River Patroller

• 2,709 posts

Posted Mon May 1, 2017 9:12 AM

Thanks all.

GFA was really popular, but for game programming, seemed that STOS Basic was even more popular.

#15 jefffulton OFFLINE  

jefffulton

Chopper Commander

• 148 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:02 PM

As a language, C really is not that much more difficult to learn than structured basic and the speed benefits are amazing.  

#16 ParanoidLittleMan ONLINE  

ParanoidLittleMan

Stargunner

• 1,676 posts

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 AM

As usual, what is best is pretty much subjective.  But in this case I must agree with majority:  GFA Basic.  The reason: even myself, hardcore ASM programmer programmed little with it :-D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users