IGNORED

How much will an atari 5200 cost?

The Atari Noob1

I am only an 11 year old and I picked up a heavy sixer woody atari 2600. My mind is set on the 5200. They seem pretty expensive. How much will a working atari 5200 with all the cables, a working controller and the 4 controller port version cost on average? I will make another post about which games are best. I am an atari noob and only own an atari flashback 3 and an atari 2600 heavy sixer woody.

• Like 4

Welcome to AtariAge!

Unfortunately, the 5200 is one of the more expensive and difficult vintage consoles to get into. Atari's original 5200 controllers are very problematic and prone to failure, and if you buy a used one, it will almost certainly require repair sooner or later. There are vendors (such as Best Electronics) which offer professionally refurbished controllers, or alternative controllers from third parties, but both options can get expensive. The four-port console itself will probably also require some work: it uses a funky combined power cable and TV switchbox that was designed for the CRT TVs of the 1980s, and it probably won't look very good on the flat-screen TV you'll probably be using with your system. So, if you really want to get the most out of it, you'll also have to make some power and A/V modifications to the console, to replace that switchbox with improved output using composite video or S-Video. I've done both modifications to my four-port 5200, and the results were worth it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to beginners or to those who are on a tight budget. Adding it all together, you can easily spend a few hundred dollars on a complete Atari 5200 system, especially if you pay someone else to do the repair and modification work for you.

If you want to save yourself some money and still enjoy (most of) the exact same games that are on the 5200, I'd suggest buying one of Atari's 8-bit computers from a reputable seller instead. B&C ComputerVisions (one of the longest-established Atari vendors) is selling like-new Atari XEGS systems on eBay right now; see here for one of their auctions. The XEGS was an Atari computer repackaged as a game console, and it comes with almost everything you'll need for a complete system; all you'll have to add is a controller (which B&C also sells), a composite A/V cable (you can find those anywhere), and some cartridge games (the XEGS has Missile Command built-in). You can also link the XEGS to a PC and load the games that way, but that's something you can look into later if you decide to go that route.

• Like 1

Welcome to AtariAge!

Unfortunately, the 5200 is one of the more expensive and difficult vintage consoles to get into. Atari's original 5200 controllers are very problematic and prone to failure, and if you buy a used one, it will almost certainly require repair sooner or later. There are vendors (such as Best Electronics) which offer professionally refurbished controllers, or alternative controllers from third parties, but both options can get expensive. The four-port console itself will probably also require some work (usually just some cleanup and a simple calibration procedure), but if you really want to get the most out of it, you'll also want to install some modifications to get rid of the funky power and TV switchbox, as well as improved A/V output using composite video or S-Video. I've done both modifications to my four-port 5200, and the results were worth it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to beginners or to those who are on a tight budget.

If you want to save yourself some money and still enjoy (most of) the exact same games that are on the 5200, I'd suggest buying one of Atari's 8-bit computers from a reputable seller instead. B&C ComputerVisions (one of the longest-established Atari vendors) is selling like-new Atari XEGS systems on eBay right now; see here for one of their auctions. The XEGS was an Atari computer repackaged as a game console, and it comes with almost everything you'll need for a complete system; all you'll have to add is a controller (which B&C also sells), a composite A/V cable (you can find those anywhere), and some cartridge games (the XEGS has Missile Command built-in). You can also link the XEGS to a PC and load the games that way, but that's something you can look into later if you decide to go that route.

Thank you! I personally don't like mods because for one I don't have the skills and two if I fail, I wasted a ton of money. Lastly, I think mods kind of ruin the esthetics and for a system like the 5200, you are endangering the stock 5200 systems even more. I love the atari 2600. I will look into the 8 bit atari computer. Thank you guys for your help!

Edited by The Atari Noob1
  • Like 2

http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/

bide your time I'd say ... local pickup probably the best

No matter where I look not on online websites, I NEVER SEEN ONE. I have seen the box and controller and a couple of games in person, but never I have seen a console in person. Thank you for the suggestion though. I always check garage sales.

Thank you! I personally don't like mods because for one I don't have the skills and two if I fail, I wasted a ton of money. Lastly, I think mods kind of ruin the esthetics and for a system like the 5200, you are endangering the stock 5200 systems even more. I love the atari 2600. I will look into the 8 bit atari computer. Thank you guys for your help!

You're welcome! Let us know if you have any other questions! I'm sure the collectors here have tons of extra cartridges that they can sell you for a good price, when you're ready to begin building a collection of your own.

I feel the same way about mods. When I installed the mods in my 5200, I went out of my way to avoid making any external physical alterations to the console (drilling holes for new connectors, etc). I can easily restore my console to factory condition if I need to.

• Like 3

You're welcome! Let us know if you have any other questions! I'm sure the collectors here have tons of extra cartridges that they can sell you for a good price, when you're ready to begin building a collection of your own.

I feel the same way about mods. When I installed the mods in my 5200, I went out of my way to avoid making any external physical alterations to the console (drilling holes for new connectors, etc). I can easily restore my console to factory condition if I need to.

Any mods to any system that do not require making my console look like a Chinese bootleg version of a system with extra external stuff I don't mind. Oh, and one more thing about the atari 5200. How big is the 4 controller port version and are there any other differences between the 4 port and the 2 port besides the controller ports? This forum is awesome and people on the forums are very nice and friendly.

Any mods to any system that do not require making my console look like a Chinese bootleg version of a system with extra external stuff I don't mind. Oh, and one more thing about the atari 5200. How big is the 4 controller port version and are there any other differences between the 4 port and the 2 port besides the controller ports? This forum is awesome and people on the forums are very nice and friendly.

The two-port and four-port 5200 consoles are the same size. Ports 1 and 2 are in the same positions as Ports 1 and 4 on the four-port version; other than that, the two consoles look exactly the same.

Atari designed a cute-looking prototype for a "5200 Jr.", a smaller version of the two-port 5200, but it was never released.

• Like 2

The two-port and four-port 5200 consoles are the same size. Ports 1 and 2 are in the same positions as Ports 1 and 4 on the four-port version; other than that, the two consoles look exactly the same.

Atari designed a cute-looking prototype for a "5200 Jr.", a smaller version of the two-port 5200, but it was never released.

Cool! That's what I love about this site. I've never heard of a 5200 Jr. - Thanks jaybird3rd. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

There are also a few games that will not run on a 2-port console without using a patched rom or switching out the BIOS chip.

I have a 2-port, but mostly run my old 4-port.

Edited by zylon

11 years old,wanting an Atari 5200 and loves the 2600. That makes me smile when I hear this.

Well done. Hope you get one soon,it really is a nice system to have and enjoy.

Wow,nice picture of the 5200 Jr. prototype. Never knew one was in the lab being planned.

And I've heard that PitFall is one of the rare games that won't work on a 2 port 5200 system.

Not sure though,can someone confirm?

Always check your local thrift stores. I got my 7800 at one. You never know what you can find some times nothing other times everything, and welcome to the Atari age family it's great to see someone so young appreciate the roots of video games.

Edited by maxdrive
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

You might also try ShopGoodwill.com. I just snagged a 5200 2 port without controllers and cables for $12 bucks plus shipping. Though complete systems will run more. And is usually the best place I snag Atari games as they usually come in lots of 4 to 10 games ranging from the 2600 to the 7800Pro.

• Like 1

Every other eleven year old are too busy with Minecraft. Or Roblox.

Or whatever mobile app is the current in game to play on their phones. My boys were interested in my retro stuff when they were younger, but now that they are nearly 15 and 17 years old...well, they don't seem to understand my hobby as much these days.

if I were you I'd go with a 2 port over a 4 port, only 2 games use the 4 ports and that switch box adds extra headaches

also if you want to get into old games, go to a local salvation army, with any luck they'll have some late crt tvs ( the cube like fat ones if you dont know the difference) for super low prices

try and get a nice 14in crt for classic games as they aren't too heavy but look great and no input lag

11 years old,wanting an Atari 5200 and loves the 2600. That makes me smile when I hear this.

Well done. Hope you get one soon,it really is a nice system to have and enjoy.

Wow,nice picture of the 5200 Jr. prototype. Never knew one was in the lab being planned.

And I've heard that PitFall is one of the rare games that won't work on a 2 port 5200 system.

Not sure though,can someone confirm?

Yep, I own Pitfall and Pitfall II for the Atari 5200. I also own a 2 port and a 4 port Atari 5200. Pitfall will not work on the 2 port system straight out of the box. I have to drag my 4 port out to play it. When I first got the game I thought it was broken, but after some research found out it was the console.

I have to agree that the proprietary switch box on the 4 port is an added pain. Mine had a bent pin (by bent I mean completely mashed flatter than a pancake and twisted). I managed to carefully straighten it out with pliers without breaking it off...I was surprised. That thing sparks when you plug the power cable into it too! I now leave it plugged in at all times and just shut off the surge protector.

Edited by Wyluli Wolf

Right now there are several 5200s on eBay for unusually low prices. Problem being they are nearly all "untested" which could mean anything from the owner is too lazy to test it, to not having all the hookups and not wanting to buy a 5 dollar connector that might allow them to increase their asking price by 75 bucks to they found it and are clueless. The assumption that is worst is that they know it's faulty or a bricked system and just want to make a quick buck. That is a distinct possibility though. One good thing is that many of the 5200's controller problems can be temporarily fixed by just opening them up and cleaning them.