IGNORED

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

Shawn

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

• Yes, I can't wait for the new version.
    • No, I'll stick to what I already have.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I cannot vote in this pole. Needs option for "I do not own an X1/PS4 and do not plan to upgrade..."

However, I DO own a Wii-U and I DO plan on getting NX at launch. :grin:

I know eh? I hate not being able to participate in these polls :D

Well the Wii-U and the NX are supposed to be totally different machines so I don't think that Nintendo qualifies to be part of this poll.

Well the Wii-U and the NX are supposed to be totally different machines so I don't think that Nintendo qualifies to be part of this poll.

Possibly but often polls like this don't carry the gamut of possibilities. A better poll would be:

• I own a PS4/X1 and plan to upgrade to version 2.0
  • I own a PS4/X1 and do not plan to upgrade.
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 but do plan to get version 2.0
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 but plan to get the 1.0 model used or on clearance.
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 and do not plan to upgrade.

I would vote the last option. No interest in modern Sony / MS console, although I do own a PS3.

• Like 1

Possibly but often polls like this don't carry the gamut of possibilities. A better poll would be:

• I own a PS4/X1 and plan to upgrade to version 2.0
  • I own a PS4/X1 and do not plan to upgrade.
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 but do plan to get version 2.0
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 but plan to get the 1.0 model used or on clearance.
  • I do not own a PS4/X1 and do not plan to upgrade.

I would vote the last option. No interest in modern Sony / MS console, although I do own a PS3.

Well none of that was the intent with this poll. It was meant for those that already bought a PS4\XBONE and to poll them on their thoughts of buying or not buying the mid gen upgrade as that is a current topic that is being discussed and debated on the interwebs. Maybe next time the poll will be something you are more likely to have a horse to race with. Sorry this one didn't fit your MO.

• Like 2

Although I voted, I generally don't count as a valid vote in these cases because I almost always plan on getting everything. With that said, I can see some valid reasons for upgrading.

If the rumors are to be believed, we could be seeing the update to the PS4 later this year and the update to the Xbox One in the first quarter of 2017 (like with the NX). I'll be curious if we'll get any info from Microsoft at E3 about it. We almost certainly will from Sony.

By the way, I've come to the conclusion over the years that a good portion of the AtariAge forum goers are a conservative lot when it comes to new technology, so there will generally be more relative hostility to ideas like this than there might otherwise be in the general gaming population. In other words, the results will be skewed here.

There's probably some type of general correlation with being into classic gaming and computers and being skeptical of newer trends. It probably also has something to do with the average age of AtariAge forum goers, which is probably why other things like social media also tends to get vilified around here.

I'm generally a technology optimist (and an optimist in general) and have never lost my love of new technology and trends (as well as the old stuff, of course). Sometimes I wish there were more people like that around here (at least I know there are SOME).

• Like 2

By the way, I've come to the conclusion over the years that a good portion of the AtariAge forum goers are a conservative lot when it comes to new technology, so there will generally be more relative hostility to ideas like this than there might otherwise be in the general gaming population. In other words, the results will be skewed here.

Obviously. The majority of modern console gamers don't give a crap about systems like Atari. Even among retro gamers, many stop with NES. But that's irrelevant. Ask a poll like this on IGN or some other network that caters to modern gamers, and you will get a different response.

I think a lot of retro gamers are into modern Nintendo consoles as well for similar reasons, due to childhood franchises they grew up with as well as providing an alternative to the status quo.

• Like 2

Obviously. The majority of modern console gamers don't give a crap about systems like Atari. Even among retro gamers, many stop with NES. But that's irrelevant. Ask a poll like this on IGN or some other network that caters to modern gamers, and you will get a different response.

I think a lot of retro gamers are into modern Nintendo consoles as well for similar reasons, due to childhood franchises they grew up with as well as providing an alternative to the status quo.

I think you are slanting that a little to your own tastes. There are tons of members of this forum with Sony and Microsoft machines (and Nintendo).

• Like 3

I didn't vote as I stopped at PS3 and the Wii. But I think Bill, Kosmic Stardust, and Shawn all have some good/valid points. I think it's safe to say there are those who will always keep up with what's modern, there will always be that Atari Age bias, there will always be retro fans who give a little more respect to Nintendo (For keeping a little more true to their roots, and offering VC etc...), and those that want a more comprehensive poll, not that there's anything wrong with this one. Myself, I was just curious to see the results...Even if I don't have a horse in this race.

• Like 2

As a PS3 and 360 owner, i was never in the camp screaming for Next Generation hardware, for the love of god, game development is being held back as hardware far too old, wahhh....camp.

Not that long had my PS4 and i don not find myself in the camp of finding it under powered or demmanding 1080P/60 FPS in everything...as likes of Killzone:Shadow Fall, whilst looking rather lush, i found lacking in terms of any advacement in good old fashioned, enjoyable gameplay.
So i voted stick to what i've got.
The Neo seems to have come about as Sony for some reason think they will be left behind in the VR Arms race, as PS4 VR is the least powerful option, but i assumed the fact it was seen as the 'Entry Level' option and thus price reflected that, was meant to offset such concerns, clearly not.
It's taken this long for current hardware to deliver a PS4 game as visually outstanding as Uncharted 4, so clearly hardware potential is only just being realised, why the rush for a middle ground upgrade?
  • Like 1

This is the first I'm hearing of upgraded consoles like that. Guess everyone is right when they say they're nothing more than underpowered/overpriced PeeCee's any longer and this 4.5/1.5 shit proves it.

Once again industry, no thanks. I'll stick with the PS3's that I never play. :lol:

• Like 2

Fascinating. As of now, most people who did vote voted "No, I'll stick to what I already have." Also apparently lots of abstentions, including myself.

My newest consoles per company:

Atari: 7800

Nintendo: Wii

Sony: PS2 [maybe we'll get a PS3 one day]

Sega: Genesis (At Games clone)

It basically feels similar to when, as an Xbox owner, MS killed off the Xbox, just when it was delivering games like Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life II etc, which PS2 couldn't seem to handle..i know Xbox was costing MS too much money, wanted head start on Sony in Next Gen..but i still felt cheated.

Ditto as a 520STFM owner, hearing Atari say ohh that old thing? we are phasing that out, STE is entry level ST now....

It's like you buy, only to be told, sorry, we've decided that generation of hardware has ended now, you'll be needing to purchase this newer model, which does stuff you know..that little bit better, it's a bit more powerful, but not so much you'll be on edge of your chair...

Bad enough since the Dreamcast era, i'm finding the graphical advances between hardware generations are getting smaller and smaller in terms of real noticable improvements.

Every generation has updates to form factor and chip revisions. This one is a little sooner than most, but both companies maintained their last console for far longer than what was expected in previous cycles. I think they just realize they'll need an update eventually and are jumping on it now.

• Like 1

The usual console form factor and chip revisions see things like Elite models being released (bigger hard drive, HDMI port, smaller chipsets), Slim models (PS3 Slim was a massive shot in the arm for PS3 sales) and in cases like PSP, different LCD screens, extra Ram (for use with SKYPE etc).

GBA had later models with backlight, different casing, then reduced in size, lovely little screen with the micro, etc....it's only been with the 3DS i've really started to notice a chance in direction for console hardware with more powerful, newer chipsets being put in, which gave developers extra processing power to tap into....this after an earlier model went 2D only as well.

I'd guess likes of Sony/MS will be watching consumer reaction to any upgraded hardware models and if they prove a hit, we may just see a 3 year cycle for consoles and gradual increases in power.

It's not a future i look forward to though, if i'm honest.

• Like 2

Excellent points @LostDragon. That was a great list of various revisions.

As usual, the AtariAge community can point out even more examples. You can go back further in time and find keyboard attachments and other peripherals that expanded the power of the original device. The O2 had an extra unit you needed to play Chess. The Intellivision keyboard component comes to mind. The Coleco could be expanded to a computer (right?). The Famicom had a disk drive available. The Sega CD32 added more horsepower, and the N64 sold a stand alone RAM expansion.

I guess it is worth noting that pretty much all of those were a flop. Consumers reacted to them pretty much the way that this thread is reacting to the new versions of X1.5 and PS4.5.

Here was a fun thing for me to try and think about: If a computer is some combination of processing, memory, storage and interface, maybe an update to one of the first 3 could be considered an "upgrade." Perhaps if 2 of the 4 are packaged together and sold that is enough to be a revision? An entirely new version? In that case, I think most of the various "revisions" we've seen actually wouldn't qualify for either an upgrade or a truly new version, and what we are seeing here with the current gen consoles really is something more.

• Like 2

Poll could also use depends on what they offer, I mean if the ps4 or xbone upgrade shows a benefit I might consider them. I mean if the ps4.1 is redesigned to fit larger hard drives and games receive patches to run better, I might consider it, other wise I can wait another 3 years and go for the ps4.2,