IGNORED

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

Shawn

IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. IF you already own a PS4\XBOX 1, Will You buy the 4.5\1.5?

• Yes, I can't wait for the new version.
    • No, I'll stick to what I already have.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well the upgrade path worked for DSi and New 3DS which were technically superior to the originals, and nobody got alienated.

Look up "SNES games new 3DS only" and read the comments, and you'll see much gnashing of teeth over this.

Nintendo really needs e3 presence once again instead of relying on their Nintendo Direct and Treehouse videos.

I suspect Nintendo knows what they "need" more than we do ... see below for my thoughts

I agree. I don't know why they're letting Sony and Microsoft have it all to themselves. If indeed Zelda Wii U/NX is the only big thing there for them (per their own statement) then they'll easily be overshadowed by Sony's PS4 Neo and VR stuff, and presumably whatever Microsoft's response to the former is (although again, if they have no plans for this year, then they'll likely just try to talk about software, which would also put them in the shadow of Sony).

I don't think they should be at E3, no more than Google or Apple or Blizzard (and probably many others these days) "need" to go to CES. With their own events, they control the narrative, and there's no competition IN THE ROOM for lazy "game journalistic" comparisons. They can show what they want, when they want, in the way that they want.

You know that EDGE, NeoGaf and IGN are going to be writing tons of stories about "who won e3 2016," right? Why would Nintendo set themselves up to be in 3rd place, at best?

This is the time of year I start the cycle of pruning my noisier RSS feeds, because e3 coverage is an uncritical information dump of press releases and impressions from demos. It's so old-world and doesn't really fit in the way many people get their information nowadays.

• Like 1

Look up "SNES games new 3DS only" and read the comments, and you'll see much gnashing of teeth over this.

I suspect Nintendo knows what they "need" more than we do ... see below for my thoughts

I dunno. I remember one year they did a live Zelda concert and it was awesome.

As for the SNES games on N3DS, it's awesome! I bought the N3DS at launch so it's high time I got something exclusive for it. Been playing through the Special World on Super Mario World with save states. Those stages are insane IMO.

I am absolutely not upgrading. I see this going one of two ways:

1- an optional upgrade that adds some function for those who want it, but has no effect on actual game use (as in, no games that require the upgraded model). I've never upgraded before (I don't own a single slim system), I'm not starting now.

2- the upgrade will make a notable difference, with exclusive games to the new variant- or at least massive play differences. In which case, I'm a lot more likely to break down and get a gaming laptop. Really, with dlc, day one patches, massive amounts of download-only games... if I have to add in hardware upgrades, why not convert and get the PC benefits with the hassles?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fact I find myself playing a lot more PS3 games of late..just finished of Dark Souls 2 DLC, returned to Motorstorm Apocalypse and trying to finish F.E.A.R 3, this time as Paxton, whilst only occasionally dipping into PS4...gave up on Soma, enjoying Outlast but no urge to play constantly..

Pretty much makes clear that for all the time PS4 and XB1 have been out, there just aren't the games I want.

Also returned to HOTD Overkill on PS3...

There's been nothing on any existing VR system i've read up on that convinces me developers have yet made the games i'd enjoy to point I could warrant yet more investment into hardware i'd only dip into.

As others have stated, these upgrade consoles could be the Kinect of this generation and how long before magazines like Edge have front cover stories asking what went wrong?

Is it game over for Neo and Scorpio? Etc the way they had in the past for the Xbox, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Kinect?.

I own a PS4, and will probably wait until there's a decent critical mass of games that take advantage of the updated hardware.

However, I don't have an XBone and will probably buy the upgraded version as soon as it's out, particularly if it will support the Rift/Vive out of the box.

None of this really surprises me; the phone/tablet market has shown there are plenty of people willing to get on the every 2-3 year upgrade treadmill. Remains to be seen if console owners will follow suit, but I wouldn't be surprised. And if it eliminates backwards compatibility issues in the process, so much the better.

Edited by Laner

I recently joined the Xbox One camp, so I won't be venturing in to the "incremental update" that is the Xbox One S. The Scorio sounds like a seriously bad ass machine when it comes out, but no, I won't be getting this, either. There's a point of diminished returns that I finally have reached, I believe, where the added "features" aren't interesting enough or financially viable enough for me to venture to. There's not one 4K TV in the house, so I couldn't take advantage of that, anyway. 1080p is fine for me as of this comment. I'm usually way behind most folks on here, anyhow.

I wasn't even going to go the Xbone route, but an opportunity presented itself and I went for it. If that opportunity came again for an upgraded version? Yeah, I'd probably do that, but I don't see that happening. I seriously need to put the brakes on these impulses to have the "latest and greatest" hardware. It's not doable with my income, and my wife (bless her) wouldn't condone a sudden dip in the checking account to purchase an upgrade. She figures "out of sight, out of mind" with my video game "addiction", and as long as my fun money doesn't scrape through the house money, all will be blissful in my married life. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

don't own a ps4 yet so i may get the neo unless of course i can save a substantial amount on an older model. also i am fine with my current xbox one i just purchased in the last six months.... in a year or so i may consider a scorpio if there are games i want that take advantage. see the thing is i just bought a tv a year ago that is not 4k and i have no plans to get a 4k tv likely for at least a few years and so these systems mean little to me

Well, I found out that most likely the Scorpio will "scale down" things to match my current TV. However, I think the reason I would get one would be due to the VR headset capabilities, which I don't think will be doable, either. I can't see parting with my Xbox One for a good long while to come. Despite only having a handful of games for it right now, they are keeping me very busy, especially Fallout 4.

• 2 weeks later...

The PS4 is the first console I do not plan to own, apart from a Jaguar and a Neo-Geo, I have every other console but now that I am officially "old" I am going to stop collecting and just focus on playing and I do not like the PS controller that much.

I do have a Xbox One, bought at launch and never out of the box. This poll has prompted me to get it out and it is going through the usual MS massive amounts of updates before I can use it.

As it looks like MS are planning on going down the same path as gaming PCs, making you have to upgrade in order to play the latest games or have access to the latest features, that will stick in my claw and I will not participate.

NX is the last console I reckon I will purchase.

NX is the last console I reckon I will purchase.

This. I have no desire at this time to buy either the old or updated PS4/XB1. I believe MS/Sony will be doing the incremental upgrade route going forward. This is in line with mobile trends, etc.

No telling what Nintendo does with the NX platform. I'm guessing as a hybrid platform it will run ARM and use 3DS like carts. The portable version will likely have reduced resolution and simpler textures / lighting. When docked to an HDTV, you'll get the full benefit of 1080p and increased graphical effects. iPads and some smart phones have these "retina" displays and other tech that greatly exceed even full HD resolution, so I imagine if Nintendo chooses a powerful ARM chip with active rather than passive cooling, performance on par with the launch model X1/PS4 would not be out of the realm of possibility.

It remains to be seen, however, if publishers want to adjust their tool-chain to support ARM architecture with two distinct levels of hardware (portable and console), compared to the x86 architecture standard on Steam/PC/X1/PS4. Mobile is a huge market though, so I imagine any developer designing for mobile will be able to port their games over to work with standard control interface.

I plan on getting the NX on day one, but it remains to be seen if third parties jump on board or not. It may end up being just Nintendo and 3rd party Indies. That said, indie games are great, many of which have old-school vibes to the gameplay, whether they are 2D or 3D, pixel based or full HD visuals.

Should NX fail, I will likely retire to full-time retro gaming. I've got enough backloggery as it is to keep me entertained for at least another decade.

• Like 1

Seems the general consensus is folks around here aren't doing the "incremental upgrade" with Sony or Microsoft. I too, perish the thought, am getting "too old" for this and will most likely NOT buy another console in my lifetime, unless it's a retro console. Xbox One is as far as I go. Since my gaming habits ebb and flow, I'm fairly certain a rash of Atari 2600 games will need some attention shortly. Despite it's age, it's my system I look very fondly on.

• Like 1

Seems the general consensus is folks around here aren't doing the "incremental upgrade" with Sony or Microsoft. I too, perish the thought, am getting "too old" for this and will most likely NOT buy another console in my lifetime, unless it's a retro console. Xbox One is as far as I go. Since my gaming habits ebb and flow, I'm fairly certain a rash of Atari 2600 games will need some attention shortly. Despite it's age, it's my system I look very fondly on.

Yeah, it's always important to remember that generally speaking a consensus around here is a consensus of a very specific group of people and not necessarily indicative of larger trends/populations. Age/life circumstances definitely play a factor in all of this. With that said, I do think that unless the incremental upgrade thing is somehow botched, the idea is a sound one and should ultimately benefit gamers.

• Like 2

VR and 4k games aside, if Sony holds publishers to their promise, nothing is requiring anyone to go get the updated console if you already have the original or want to get the original once it is discounted some more. It may be the same choice one has with the PC... you can either go mid range and not have things quite as fancy, or you can shell out a lot to build one to have full effects in 4k.

I am not sure if Microsoft has said anything similar. Maybe I missed that if they did.

Edited by cybercylon

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...