Photo

Modern Ti99 storage solutions?

47 replies to this topic

#26 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,908 posts

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 4:17 PM

The SD floppy sounds like the perfect replacement for Floppy drives. And dirt cheap also.

#27 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 AM

The SD floppy sounds like the perfect replacement for Floppy drives. And dirt cheap also.

I prefer self-contained solutions, and I understand a floppy emulator to require a PEB, a disk controller card, etc.  My ideal thing remains some SD-based nanoPEB replacement.  :)

• RXB likes this

#28 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 732 posts

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 5:50 AM

I sort of envision an SD or usb solution similar to the Corcomp 9900 expansion system(mine just died last night while recovering floppies, but on the bright side I have recovered about 70 floppy images) with built in capabilities, but still able to interface with a floppy, maybe with  SCSI too.

#29 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,908 posts

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 5:58 AM

Been using my SCSI card with SCSI hard drives this week.

Just love everything on one drive and using REA to run stuff.

#30 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,853 posts

Posted Fri May 27, 2016 10:38 AM

Been using my SCSI card with SCSI hard drives this week.

Just love everything on one drive and using REA to run stuff.

Real hardware Rich?

Greg

• RXB likes this

#31 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,908 posts

Posted Sat May 28, 2016 2:18 AM

Yep been pulling everything off my SCSI Hard Drives onto my IBM PC (Using PC99) then using Network to copy all of that.

#32 Ksarul ONLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,360 posts

Posted Sat May 28, 2016 6:59 AM

Hey Rich, if you happen to turn up the missing part of the original XB source (I think it was for the ROMs), that would be wonderful!

#33 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,908 posts

Posted Sat May 28, 2016 10:03 PM

Hey Rich, if you happen to turn up the missing part of the original XB source (I think it was for the ROMs), that would be wonderful!

OMG I wish I could have but my system crashed memory in the TI99/4A console and messed up my copy of the XB ROMs Source Code on my old SCSI drives and I was doing a copy at the time.

It trashed both SCSI drives and by the time I recovered what I could from a Sector copy they were totally a mess and unreadable.

What I have now survived from a older smaller back up SCSI drive I had in storage. (XB ROM Source not on that drive)

#34 hunter44102 OFFLINE  

hunter44102

Star Raider

• 94 posts

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:25 AM

I have a bunch of cassette tapes with many extended basic programs that I wrote or typed in as a kid.  What would I need to buy to save these programs on SD or disk?

Is there a way to send the programs with serial cable to a PC? 

#35 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,304 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:32 AM

I have a bunch of cassette tapes with many extended basic programs that I wrote or typed in as a kid.  What would I need to buy to save these programs on SD or disk?

I think you'll want to look at HDX - may need to mod your rs232 (I'm assuming you have one because you are asking about serial file transfers).

However, I am now convinced that the TIPI, when released, is going to resolve everyone's storage gripes. It's the fastest I've ever witnessed in loading and saving with virtually unlimited storage.

Fair enough it will require (NON-PEB Version) a side cart 32k mem expansion and a Raspberry Pi or (PEB version) 32k memory (of any type) and a Raspberry Pi, but in the end, it's all I can foresee using for several years to come (until the next great thing arrives, which just might end up being TiPi v2) - and then we have ET_PEB in the works.

I would suggest taking a close look at this thread before making any decisions. But you have a lot of options depending on what you're willing to spend for which solution that's presented...

http://atariage.com/...ces-read-first/

#36 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,811 posts

Posted Sun Feb 4, 2018 1:51 PM

Buy a nanoPEB (one on eBay now)

Load program from cassette, save to nanoPEB. Take out your SD card and plug it into your PC

#37 hunter44102 OFFLINE  

hunter44102

Star Raider

• 94 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:52 AM

I think you'll want to look at HDX - may need to mod your rs232 (I'm assuming you have one because you are asking about serial file transfers).

However, I am now convinced that the TIPI, when released, is going to resolve everyone's storage gripes. It's the fastest I've ever witnessed in loading and saving with virtually unlimited storage.

Fair enough it will require (NON-PEB Version) a side cart 32k mem expansion and a Raspberry Pi or (PEB version) 32k memory (of any type) and a Raspberry Pi, but in the end, it's all I can foresee using for several years to come (until the next great thing arrives, which just might end up being TiPi v2) - and then we have ET_PEB in the works.

I would suggest taking a close look at this thread before making any decisions. But you have a lot of options depending on what you're willing to spend for which solution that's presented...

http://atariage.com/...ces-read-first/

How far along is the TIPI project?  Will there be production this year?  will look into it

#38 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,304 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:05 AM

How far along is the TIPI project?  Will there be production this year?  will look into it

It's pretty far along. There are bugs being worked on everyday to improve performance, reliability and features. I don't know when they will be available but if I had to guess, I would say yes, sometime this year.

Definitely take a look at that link. You'll find more links there to the project page and website.

#39 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,853 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 12:25 PM

I expect them to be on sale b4 spring break... 

#40 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,405 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:34 PM

Good thing I don't know when Spring Break is, except that it has no singular date in the US.

-M@

#41 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,304 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:36 PM

^^^LMAO^^^

#42 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,169 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:22 PM

I expect them to be on sale b4 spring break... 

#43 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,896 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:38 PM

Hmmm ... wondering what it has to do with Ferris Bueller. That's Yello. Oh yeah.

#44 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

오메가

• 11,169 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 4:42 PM

Hmmm ... wondering what it has to do with Ferris Bueller. That's Yello. Oh yeah.

Nothing much other than the song was played in the movie.  I thought the "Oh Yeah" was appropriate for Gregs answer.

#45 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,896 posts

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:10 PM

I think I saw the movie only once ... don't remember the sound tracks; still, the origin should be mentioned.

#46 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,085 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:45 AM

Spring What ? :-D

I have been to Jamaica at spring break some years ago, and I didn´t know about before.   Now I know :P  #Prosit

#47 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,896 posts

Posted Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:59 AM

I read the summary of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" in Wikipedia, and now I remember ... I did not like that movie, maybe outright hated it. I think I was (am) the exact counterpart to Ferris, since I always loved school (yes, this is probably the best way to tell it), and this movie attempted to suggest how much better you could do otherwise. Throughout the movie I really hoped he'd fail miserably at some time.

(Interesting, though, that it is shown on German TV very rarely, unlike other flicks that I can already recite by heart, or maybe I have developed a specific blindness in that case.)

#48 Ksarul ONLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,360 posts

Posted Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:46 PM

I have an awful lot of Yello music in my collection. . .but it isn't stored on my TI.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users