IGNORED

Taking the plunge

Arnuphis

Hello everyone.

Let me preface this post by saying that I have never owned an Atari Computer. I was a Commodore/TI/Acorn user during the 80s/90s and a Mac/PC user beyond.

I have always been interested in the Atari 800. Such an interesting looking machine. I was never interested in the 400 due to that keyboard. I finally have the space to set one up. So I have some questions for the community.

How much should I look to spend to get a nice working 800? (Not XL, the original one). Is there a list of 'must have' add-ons?

What do you love/like/dislike about your 800?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arnuphis
  • Like 1

Computer (in working condition):

1) NTSC version ca. $100-$200 at Ebay

2) PAL $300+

3) SECAM $500+

Peripherals:

1) Floppy 810 ca. $100-$150

2) Tape recorder 410 ca. $50

Must have add-ons:

1) 48 K memory

2) Incognito board (makes old 800 compatible with 800XL if needed)

If you need original boxes add more $, usually +100% for US version.

The 800's are sleek and sexy, I love the look of them, so much that I have 8 of them :) Might be willing to part with one...

Get a 32k Ram Board and then a Bit-3 80 Column Card.

Other 800 style add-ons are:

815 Disk Drive

820 Printer

830 Modem (Needs an 850)

835 Modem

850 Interface

I am also actually close to "taking the plunge." I have never used an Atari 8-bit. We had a Tandy back in the 80s, and I moved from the Tandy directly to a 386 SX IBM-compatible PC in the very early 90s. So, I am very much learning about the Atari 8-bits in the last week or so. I think I am leaning towards a XEGS given that I primarily want to game, the ease of using the composite phono jack, and the fact that XEGS components are the "latest" of the bunch. Besides gaming as the prime motive, some secondary hobbies are possibly learning BASIC and trying to do some easy programming, and also dialing into one of the BBS systems that the pinned topic talks about above. I wanted to use real Atari hardware to do that! :)

My current background in vintage computing is a recent hobby with the Mattel Aquarius computer. I figure that the supposed "mushy" keyboard of the XEGS is still a step up from the chiclet-style keyboard of the Aquarius, so it (the mushy XEGS keyboard) more than likely won't be a complaint for me!

Anyway, not to totally hijack the OPs thread, but I was also looking for input on whether the XEGS would be a good entry point to the Atari 8-bit line...I have no desire to "mod" or mess with the insides of a computer just yet, so the whole "socketed vs. unsocketed" really doesn't bother me too much right now. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I would go with the 130XE, simply because it has 128K stock.

Don't get me wrong, not many games use it, but just in case you ever want to do a little more, you've got that 'stock' upgrade built in.

My side2 cartridge (which is a cartridge interface to an SD card along with SpartaDos X) simply won't work - or rather, you can't use all it's features without having a minimum of 128K.

It's not that a lot of things use 128K, but it's annoying when something you wanted to use needed it, and you don't have it.

Although I do understand the original poster.

The original Atari 800 of 1979, was the revolutionary machine. And it has an awesome typewriter look and heavy duty keyboard. If I was collecting historical computers, I'd go with the Atari 800 all day.

However, for me, it is a nostalgia trip, so it has to be the Atari 800XL...I started on Atari 400, but I was so poor, I had the Atari 400 and NOTHING ELSE.

I mean, I had the Atari 400 and didn't even own BASIC cartridge. I turned it on, and it came to MemoPad, and it was completely useless.

I mean - literally useless, it had no application, except I could draw on the screen with atascii characters.

Now eventually I got a job mowing lawns, but I quickly moved into an Atari 800XL and after a summer of work - my prized possession, a 1050 disk drive!!! All the way from nothing to riches :) american success story. haha

Edited by Dmitry
  • Like 1

Good luck, I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of the model you choose as long as it has at least 48k, though 64k will get you a slightly bigger selection of software. I use an 800 myself and love it, though I would like to get a good working 800xl in my collection for nostalgic reasons as that is what I had in the 80's. Even though it doesn't match color-wise, I prefer and use a 1050 disk drive with my 800 as IMHO it is the best all around 5 1/4 drive that Atari put out. How ever I use my 800 purely for my enjoyment so matching peripherals isn't a big concern. I highly recommend checking out the SIO2PC adapters. I use one combined with a small netbook setting next to my 800. It opens a whole world of software that you otherwise would never be able to get ahold of today, not to mention being handy for backing up aging disks.

I think it's kinda silly to suggest that a newbie get all kinds of upgrades when they just want to check out games and stuff on the system. I'd suggest one of the 64K models (or a 130XE if you find a deal) and an SIO2PC cable. This will get you started and will give you access to nearly all the software. It will also let you make copies on your own disks if you have a drive. The next thing you might consider is a Maxflash cart system for instant access to games.

Once you get a feel for the system you can consider opening it up and hacking on it, but it's completely unnecessary.

• Like 2

So my classic 800 and program recorder arrived (the 800XL and floppy drives is on the way). It's in pristine condition and works 100%. Any recommendations on boosting that video picture? Looks fine on the Amiga monitor I am using with a RGB lead, but after putting a F18a in my TI and being blown away by the VGA picture I'd like to do the same for my A8.

I'll thrown down for one of those SD drives since I am ordering one for the TI.

Looking forward to getting to know the machine. Never owned one before.

It was my understanding that the Atari 800 has a pretty good video out....compared to the later Atari's anyway.

On the 800XL the VBXE card had a core for VGA out but it was deprecated, so the best output is RGB and pairing it with a monitor that can sync down to 15khz.

Personally I just use a cheap VGA scan doubler and a regular VGA monitor. I love the picture the VBXE puts out, it's the best I've ever had on an Atari.

My output is like this dude's:

http://itfortress.fr/atari-xe/

Except I think he has a 9-pin output, I actually have a 15-pin HD, cabled for VGA. Many TV's with vga input can sync down to 15khz these days, but I use it with an old 15" NEC monitor that cannot.

If you can load basic the type: XIO,254,#3,4,0,"D1:" and it should format any single density floppy that you can put into the 1050 or 810.. Just no DOS.SYS & DUP.SYS

but the floppy will be formatted.. and you can save basic typed in programs to it.

If you can load basic the type: XIO,254,#3,4,0,"D1:" and it should format any single density floppy that you can put into the 1050 or 810.. Just no DOS.SYS & DUP.SYS

but the floppy will be formatted.. and you can save basic typed in programs to it.

Perfect!Thanks for the help.

I will get one of the SD card readers eventually but half the fun is using these old drives, no?