• It's only worth a Redbox Rental
    • It's so-so
    • There's no duct tape on Mars to fix this piece of crap
  2. 2. Should I buy Doom or Uncharted 4?

• Doom
    • Uncharted 4
    • Just play Bioshock again

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, anybody played the new Doom yet? I'm thinking about buying it as I'm a huge Doom fan from back in the day, but I get nervous about buying so early. How's the single player? I don't care much about multiplayer (except for Star Wars: Battlefront), but does it have any online co-op modes? Like a hoard mode/ zombies type thing? Tell me the stories of your survival!

Edited by Gabsters89

Seen lots of video for the single player and its super fast paced like old Doom use to be.

Wasn't the greatest fan over 3 but this one looks way more old school Doom.

But the last two games I bought for $60.00 were Forza Horison 2 and Forza 6 cause I'm a racing fanatic.

I'll get this when it crosses $30.00

Nowdays $50.00 + goes to retro gaming only homebrews.

I'm about five hours in and don't regret buying it. I'm in hell currently and when a bunch of demons spawn and the spectacular music kicks in, the experience is unforgettable. The combat is very satisfying. I get how not much will change but weapon and suit upgrades keep it from getting stale and combat is still fun and challenging. They took inspiration from Brutal Doom and the classic Doom 3 mod thankfully and it's a fun game because of it.

I haven't gotten into Snap Map because I don't have internet access yet, but the potential is huge. Creations are not limited to platform or to multiplayer. Someone I saw made a basketball type game. If you like classic FPS then I say it's worth it. If you liked Doom then it's a no brainer to buy. I also HIGHLY recommend checking out Brutal Doom V20b on moddb.com that has the Hell on Earth starter pack. Also the statue with the collector's edition looks awesome in the dark with the lights activated.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

If you really like oldschool shooters that offer all content and very little BS, DOOM is well-worth the $60 price. 10 hour campaign supposedly, but it's so much fun it's the type of game you are going to want to play through again and again just like classic DOOM. It's very difficult on Ultra Violence, and there are two more unlockable difficulty modes higher than that.

Multiplayer is a bit of a wash from what it seems, but in this day with constant patches and upgrades, you can probably expect that to improve. My biggest complaint with the multiplayer is that there's no traditional free-for-all mode/traditional solo deathmatch mode. It's a lot of team-based stuff.

• Like 2

I wouldn't call it doom. Maybe I'm just picky, but while this was a fun first person shooter, it just wasn't exactly the doom series I remember.

It's fun in its own way though. Not trying to be too critical. I think if it was 15 bucks, it would be a great game to try, and then toss aside. I just don't see much value in it. As mentioned above, there's no coop (I haven't tried multiplayer, nor do I really care about multiplayer...which is the whole reason I was excited for Doom, as Doom was always more of a single player affair), and the campaign is extremely short.

Then again, I suppose all FPS games are short these days. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess I just seem to remember Doom lasting me longer in the single player front. Or maybe it was just so good I wanted to keep playing. A quality this game doesn't seem to give me.

I think this game, if I can be brutally honest, is one of many on a similar trend. Good graphics and gore dazzle for a few hours, until the disc becomes a forgettable shiny drink coaster. I feel like nearly all FPS are like this these days, and I'm genuinely waiting for developers to realize it might be better to up their content at the sacrifice of the most dazzling graphics engines. COUGH like Demon's Souls COUGH.

So in many ways, other than the original weapons coming back, which can be fun, I can't say it's really spectacular in any way. And speaking of graphics, they aren't mind-bending, so it doesn't really even have that going for it. They're pretty, but not "Battlefront omgz look at that" pretty. I guess if there's a good thing to say, is that it definitely plays better than Battlefront. But then again, I guess that's like saying a vegetable is better than a dead person, because it can breathe....

I can't speak for Uncharted 4, as I haven't played it, but going from the other installments, I'd say it's better worth your time if you're not focused on multiplayer like I am.

If you want my real REAL advice, spend your money on older systems and games, and play the stuff before everything turned into million dollar franchises ripe for the raping on a yearly basis, which this will likely be subject to as it's technically a reboot of the franchise.

Edited by MotoRacer

Then again, I suppose all FPS games are short these days. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess I just seem to remember Doom lasting me longer in the single player front. Or maybe it was just so good I wanted to keep playing. A quality this game doesn't seem to give me.

Perspective is everything, man. You can run through the original Ultimate DOOM (all four episodes) in under four hours.

• Like 3

Has anyone checked out what people are doing with Snap Map? I've only been able to watch videos but it looks like it will keep the game alive after the campaign. One I saw was a cool memory game that I think hasn't been done before. I'm still enjoying it but I'm having some problems on my PC. I had a couple quit to desktop crashes without any errors and it's not really optimized well for older graphics cards. Changing settings does nothing. I'm getting the same frames per second on the lowest settings and lower resolutions as I was with a mix of medium/high and 1080p. Hopefully it will be patched. People with AMD cards are having horrible issues from what I've read. Still having fun even if I need to upgrade.

On higher difficulty levels its pretty damn tough. Certainly can't beat it quick. Never tried a speed run or anything. May have to try it out someday. :P

I'm taking my time with this new game, collecting stuff etc. so for me its going to last probably longer than 10 hours. I'm somewhat of a completionist so I actually prefer shorter games anyway to help cut down on time. Backlogs.

You can run through the original Ultimate DOOM (all four episodes) in under four hours.

No, it takes me forever, I'm always getting lost.

YOU can run thru the original in under four hours, but I'm not that good at games.

:dunce:

I must play too much Doom. I can blow through Knee Deep, Shores, and Inferno in about 30-45 minutes each (Ultra-Violence), maybe an hour if I'm going for 100% kills, items, and secrets. Thy Flesh Consumed gives me more trouble, as I'm not as familiar with its maps, and the episode as a whole is a lot harder than the first three, so I die a lot. The first three I know almost inside and out. Nightmare difficulty still kicks my ass though; you're almost better off trying to speedrun it on Nightmare since every enemy respawns after, like, 10 seconds.

(Sidebar: the one thing I hate about classic Doom: they kill that little bunny at the end. :_( :mad: )

I wonder if somebody's gonna "port" WADs like Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta to the new Doom? That would be nuts.

No, it takes me forever, I'm always getting lost.

YOU can run thru the original in under four hours, but I'm not that good at games.

:dunce:

See, that's a good thing then. That means it will take you 27.5 hours approximately to run through the new one! Totally worth the money! :lolblue:

On higher difficulty levels its pretty damn tough. Certainly can't beat it quick. Never tried a speed run or anything. May have to try it out someday. :P

I'm taking my time with this new game, collecting stuff etc. so for me its going to last probably longer than 10 hours. I'm somewhat of a completionist so I actually prefer shorter games anyway to help cut down on time. Backlogs.

It's definitely tough on the higher levels. I started on Ultra Violence and I just got to the final boss earlier today. I'm probably around the 15 hour mark because there have been several sections in the game where I kept getting wrecked over and over. PC players will definitely have an advantage because of better controls and so it might be shorter (less deaths), but it also depends on the skill level of the player.

I must play too much Doom. I can blow through Knee Deep, Shores, and Inferno in about 30-45 minutes each (Ultra-Violence), maybe an hour if I'm going for 100% kills, items, and secrets. Thy Flesh Consumed gives me more trouble, as I'm not as familiar with its maps, and the episode as a whole is a lot harder than the first three, so I die a lot. The first three I know almost inside and out. Nightmare difficulty still kicks my ass though; you're almost better off trying to speedrun it on Nightmare since every enemy respawns after, like, 10 seconds.

That's basically me too. I can blow through the first three episodes in about 45 minutes each, then Episode 4 gives me some trouble. I played through it again recently so it's not as bad as I remembered, but it's definitely more challenging than the other ones.

So, apparently someone has already played all the way through without dying on ultra-nightmare setting.

This is pretty ridiculous. I don't understand how people have been able to do this yet (supposedly at least three so far). I've been watching streamers try their hand at this and it just looks insanely brutal. Enemies can kill you in one or two hits and so you are always a moment or two out of death's reach. I'll probably give the mode a try once in a while just for grins, but I'm never going to take it seriously. I don't have the balls for that kind of stuff, haha. Major props to anyone that manages to do it!

If you really like oldschool shooters that offer all content and very little BS, DOOM is well-worth the $60 price. 10 hour campaign supposedly, but it's so much fun it's the type of game you are going to want to play through again and again just like classic DOOM. It's very difficult on Ultra Violence, and there are two more unlockable difficulty modes higher than that.

Nailed it :thumbsup: