IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

Just wanted to say I am a non German speaker (or reader) and I subscribe to ABBUC and will continue to. Every so often I look up a few words that look insane to me (German words can be unbelievable long!!). Maybe in another 30 years, I'll be able to talk some Atari specs in German.

• Like 3

I was kindly subscribed for a year and it was just amazing at the quality of what I received, OK, like Stephen I don't speak German but the BASIC book I was sent was outstanding, its clear the money from subscriptions gets used 100% towards the Atari.

Excellent organisation, wish I was a lot richer :)

• Like 1

I always thought ABBUC was already older since the 8-bit series was released in 1979. I'm surprised ABBUC was only founded in the Tramiel era when the ST was around the corner and not already during the Warner era.

maybe: sometimes we Germans are late - but we are resistant ;-)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 2

... and there's another article about another new entry: Dimo's Dungeon game created by 8BitJunkie, Mario130XE and some other guys :)

Thanks to 8BitJunkie for revealing some details!

[EDIT] Current Google translation of the article is not very good, for example the squirrel's name is "Kayem", not "Kay".

Edited by +Adam+
  • Like 6

Atari fans can already see getting these contest games is well worth the modest annual membership fee alone...

I just became a member and received my first magazine, #125. For years I put off joining ABBUC because of the language barrier, but because of comments like above I finally decided to do it. Even without knowing a bit of German, it is surprising what you can infer just by reading it.

post-8513-0-14686300-1469758285_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I just became a member and received my first magazine, #125. For years I put off joining ABBUC because of the language barrier, but because of comments like above I finally decided to do it. Even without knowing a bit of German, it is surprising what you can infer just by reading it.

attachicon.gif20160728_215712_resized.jpg

I agree 100% !!

• Like 2

attachicon.gif20160728_215712_resized.jpg

Thanks for the reminder! I have intended to join ABBUC for quite some time, but always forgot... and just sent off my membership dues!

• Like 4

The deadline is upon us!

RAIN OF TERROR was ready just in time ! :)

post-38281-0-36253700-1469913050_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to a video clip. It is clipped and spliced in a few places so if it seems to jump around some, that is why.

Sorry the video compression leaves some artifacts and of course the video frame rate is slow and very jerky too! But should give you some idea of the pace of the game play action...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14bnxlocv7x6tf7/RAINofTERRORgame.avi?dl=0

• Like 8

Looks like a very entertaining sabotage clone! The planes look like a pain to hit though. Any plans for paddle support?

Absolutely, this is a paddle supported game! That was one of our key goals...there aren't enough paddle games in our opinion!

Rain of Terror has a lot of twists that keep the game play challenging and requiring strategy even as you are rewarded for shooting as rapidly and constantly as possible (another goal we were after ). :)

The power-ups for your gun-shot mode is a prime example... flashing beacons occasionally appear up at the mountain ridges, and shooting these beacons will power-up your gun-shot mode (progressing from sniper-shot, to burst-shot, up to automatic shot mode). On the other hand, each time an enemy paratrooper lands your gun-shot mode will be decreased by one level.

Since it is paddle controlled, you can be very accurate with your aiming and you can literally fling your cross-hairs and gun from one side of the screen to the other in an instant. Works great on touch-screen with Colleen android emulator too.

Yeah, hitting the planes is a little challenging but after a little practice it isn't so hard (who wants an easy game?) The frame rate in the video clip is terrible so that makes it look even harder to hit the planes than it really is (everything looks very jerky in the video and the bullets are skipping all around the screen... the actual game isn't like that).

Rain of Terror encourages and rewards rapid shoot

• Like 4

Hmm, I send few days ago my entry - but i don't see it on Abbuc website and on atariage. Dear Abbuc, did my contribution dont go with preselection?

well I sent my entry yesterday around noon and I did not get any answer or confirmation that it was added to list... so I guess Sascha just does not have time for that... but I think it will be all ok ;)

• Like 1

Sent my entry too. Maybe missed the deadline by an hour as I didn't see the 22h remark :(

Why did I think it's 24h ???

Far from what I envisioned as a complete game, but considering I've worked on it mostly in last week it turned out great imho. We'll see what others will say :)

Let me present you "The Monk" !

ps. Yes, that was suicide by cactus at the end ;)

• Like 13