IGNORED

Do you guys store your code in repositories?

Just curious, mostly because I never really see it mentioned here in the 10 years that I've been on this board:

Do you guys store your code in a version controlled repository, e.g. GitHub? and if not, why not?

I've been developing software in one form or another for roughly 30 years, and all through that process, a version control system was always in play (I started with RCS, then CVS, then SVN, and when git came along, I never looked back!), mostly because it provided a convenient way for me to track my source code changes as I worked through a project, and a convenient place to store stuff in case something terrible would happen.

I do this even with my comparatively small 6502 projects, even, because at the end of the day, I want my stuff to last.

How about you guys?

-Thom

• Like 1

Absolutely. Anything that I work on for more than a few hours goes into a repository.

Right now that's Atlassian's Bitbucket (they have free private git repos).

I've got a repository per project, and a general "misc" repository where I keep small little bits of code that I've messed around with that hasn't earned a real repo yet.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/190695-your-development-environment/?do=findComment&comment=2413535

For me, the main advantage of using a version control system is that I can easily diff between revisions. Before checking in a new feature, I always diff all the files I changed, which often reveals that I forgot something (e.g., removing debugging code).

• Like 1

For Atari 2600 projects, I personally like to keep all my code in a single file and save a backup copy (with date in filename) every time I do any substantial work. I don't really see a need for a robust version control system... unless you're doing team work like BoulderDash.

Similar to Spiceware... my blog entries also work as a repository.

• Like 1

I use source control when working with other programmers or when a client requires some system. For projects where I'm the only programmer I don't use a source control system since it just adds a level of complexity and no benefits I need. I do duplicate the project about once a day using a script that creates an archive folder with the date and time so folders in the archive are sorted. About once a week I upload an archive folder to the cloud. I don't compress source in any way so I can do text search my archive. Disk space is now soooo cheap (free) and network is plenty fast and reliable.

I agree and I write version control systems - difference engines are fun and very useful to see other developers changes, but for my own it's much easier to view my development log; a difference engine is an inferior tool to a log except when the log is missing or errant.

And large groups are a different story but pair programming team are rarely load balanced; the actual redundancy gained from this model is that the pair programmers become good friends so when the lead programmer leaves the friend can call them up at their new organization for help.

Even if you are on you own, it makes it easier to develop on multiple computers and serves as a backup.

It also makes it easier to do diffs and figure out where you introduced bugs. (Git in particular has a great command, bisect, which helps you do a binary search through revisions to find what change broke your code)

git bisect is worth its weight in gold, not to mention just the action of pulling out a branch to work on an idea, merge it back in when ready, keeps things really stable, and you can track things cleanly, using bisect only when you're not entirely sure when something snuck in...

(git's bisect and branching tools were the reason I ditched every other VCS system that I had been using: RCS, CVS, SVN, Mercurial, Perforce, etc...etc..)

-Thom

I just read a bit about bisect. Is it really only a comfort feature which saves you calculating the revision number which halves the interval?

Yup. Comparing it with SVN, which uses normal human revision numbers, it sounds crazy. But git uses nasty hashes for revision ids, so it helps quite a bit.

(And the convenience of it is pretty nice. It's definitely only a comfort feature, but they did a good job making it really easy, you basically just type "git bisect good" or "git bisect bad", and it immediately goes and gets a different version checked out for you to try. Takes the thinking out of checking out different versions, letting you save your thinking for fixing the problem.)

Honestly, for a single developer project, I don't think git is really all that superior to svn. The branching model is a little faster and easier, and local branches are nice, but I have no beef with svn, despite all the cool kids hating it these days.

Edited by gauauu
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use git locally for pretty much all my projects. When I need to collaborate with other people I tend to use bitbucket, self-hosted gitlab or (rarely) github. SVN isn't an option since it requires a network connection. And yes, bisect is immensely useful. Plus git has a working merge, unlike SVN

I hear hg is better than git UX-wise, so newcomers to DVCS might want to give that a spin

Edited by Tjoppen