IGNORED

Jaguar Lifetime (Game) Sales Spreadsheet

Willard

As some discussion about the number of Jaguar's sold comes up in the Jaguar forums once in awhile (despite no solid figures that I can recall), I thought it'd be nice to share a document that Buddybuddies and I came across that discloses lifetime sales of Jaguar games. This is only through April 1995 but I think it's still an interesting look at how the Jaguar was doing. I have attached the document to this post but you can also see it on our website.

Although our site keeps getting constantly delayed (even by recent estimates), we are hoping to provide some other interesting features in the near future.

post-3404-0-50118900-1463543063_thumb.png

Jaguar Lifetime Sales Complete 600dpi.pdf

Edited by Willard
  • Like 6

Those numbers are appalling and I like how Checkered Flag is listed as Checkered Flag II. Doom makes sense, it was only one of the best games of the 90s ;-) but its nice to see AvP took lead on it. What I'm truly blown away by is that Kasumi Ninja and Tevor McFur outsold Iron Soldier in number of units.

• Like 1

As some discussion about the number of Jaguar's sold comes up in the Jaguar forums once in awhile (despite no solid figures that I can recall), I thought it'd be nice to share a document that Buddybuddies and I came across that discloses lifetime sales of Jaguar games. This is only through April 1995 but I think it's still an interesting look at how the Jaguar was doing. I have attached the document to this post but you can also see it on our website.

Although our site keeps getting constantly delayed (even by recent estimates), we are hoping to provide some other interesting features in the near future.

attachicon.gifJaguar_Lifetime_Sales.PNG

Can we see how well the other games did?

It was stated on numerous occasions that AvP sold at a ratio of nearly 1:1 with the console, so there can't have been very many consoles at all out there at the time...

Both Doom and AvP had only been released 6 months. Depending upon the game Atari would have made a run of 'n' thousands of rom carts and seen how well it sells before making more. There are a few games not on the list ( defender 2000 and Iwar spring to mind which would have not been released by then). The follow years figures would paint a more balanced picture of the sales.

To me I'm personally surprised with Bubsy's sales as Dino Dudes had been on sale almost 3 times as long. I never considered how many were sold as we were working on one game and then moving onto the next.

Edited by Seedy1812
  • Like 1

Whats up with all the games listed at 6, especially the Jag CD ones that obviously sold more. And Hoverstrike?

I don't think those games were released at the time (the ones with no asterisk and with 6 as number of sales). I'm not sure the reason for having them included on the list, especially since we know a few of them never came close to completion.

Can we see how well the other games did?

Unfortunately, the only sales figures we had are on that document.

Nice! Can probably extrapolate some more figures out of this data too, such as margins and MSRP's.

I did some basic averages for a couple of games (for example, AVP =2363876/52223 = $45.27 / Copy). Trevor McFur averaged about $31.5 / Copy which makes sense because it had been out long enough that a lot of copies sold were probably discounted.

But I agree it'd be interesting to see this evaluated for some additional information! It might shed more light onto why some of the games were cancelled and more high profile ports/original games weren't developed if they could reach sales numbers like AVP or DOOM. The Atari Museum has a developer payment schedule that I think would be interesting note in combination with sales info and margin info.

Edited by Willard

I did some basic averages for a couple of games (for example, AVP =2363876/52223 = $45.27 / Copy). Trevor McFur averaged about $31.5 / Copy which makes sense because it had been out long enough that a lot of copies sold were probably discounted.

But I agree it'd be interesting to see this evaluated for some additional information! It might shed more light onto why some of the games were cancelled and more high profile ports/original games weren't developed if they could reach sales numbers like AVP or DOOM. The Atari Museum has a developer payment schedule that I think would be interesting note in combination with sales info and margin info.

Unfortunately, none of the titles on the ITD sales report appear on the titles in development list from August of '95. We would need an earlier titles in development report to see the true margins on most released titles. For me, the titles in development list is interesting because it shows how much was invested in high profile licenses like Iron Man, Batman Forever and Mortal Kombat 3; titles that never really came to fruition. Compare this to what Atari Corp. spent on Zoop, Baldies or Defender 2000. I would have taken fifteen more released games like Skyhammer, IS2 or Phase Zero for the money they wasted on those cancelled titles. Edited by atariLBC
  • Like 2