IGNORED

Upp! for the Xbox One

Gemintronic

So, I've started to port my Atari 2600 game Upp! to the Xbox One (among other platforms)

I'm wondering if people preffer there retro games to be as authentic as possible.. OR, is a little modern flair nice? For instance, I tried a star-field scrolling in the background.

How do people feel about authenticity vs. pseudo retro?

post-13304-0-91522200-1463659632_thumb.png

• Like 5

I think the expectation is that while having the original in tact is nice and wanted, a modernized spin or twist on it with updated graphics is also nice. I remember that being the idea behind all of the XBLA releases I thought, not sure why this wouldn't transfer over into the Xbox one. Personally, I enjoy some of the modern twists on classics and like PacMan, it was fun to have an enhanced version while still having the original to play.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't get much enjoyment from retro looking games on modern platforms. Its much more impressive when somebody pulls off a trick or a neat looking game on a real retro platform, rather than doing something "dumbed down" on modern hardware. I suggest you take your core ideas for the game and think of ways to "scale it up" to the computer/graphics power available.

• Like 2

I was actually thinking of "going through time" by updating the graphics as you progress.

2600-esque -> Genesis-esque -> Playstation-esque -> 3D

That could work as long as more game play elements and twists are thrown into the mix and not just graphics changes.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention this is the very first screen made. It's not a complete game yet - just at the very, very first steps. What kind of flair is required these days?

15 pieces of flair is the minimum. Brian has 37 pieces of flair....

• Like 1

Just put it on PS4, since I don't have a Xbone :P

Going for the "easiest" point of entry into the modern console market. Sony seems to require gobs of money to start. Nintendo requires you to be a known quantity. Signing up for an Xbox dev account strongly hints at having a game ready to go before registering. Surprisingly, that's the lowest bar out of the major game console companies right now.

Now, when I say "requires" I'm talking about hidden bars to entry. These big companies can ignore you for long periods until they think you're interesting. That's the feeling I'm getting from Collectorvision and their experiences.

• Like 1

I expect that you will still sell more 2600 copies of the game than on any modern platform. There are lots of games screaming for attention on the modern systems, so you end up being a small fish in a big pond. With the 2600 and its kind, people interested in homebrew are very much more keyed in on their retro platform of choice. Even though the total audience for any given retro platform is orders of magnitude smaller, the percentage of those people interested in your release is much higher.

• Like 1

I expect that you will still sell more 2600 copies of the game than on any modern platform. There are lots of games screaming for attention on the modern systems, so you end up being a small fish in a big pond. With the 2600 and its kind, people interested in homebrew are very much more keyed in on their retro platform of choice. Even though the total audience for any given retro platform is orders of magnitude smaller, the percentage of those people interested in your release is much higher.

Would probably do well on the 7800 if the XM ever gets completed. I hear there is a huge hang up cause the last guy who quit took his ball and ran home. Pretty shitty thing to do eh?

Would probably do well on the 7800 if the XM ever gets completed. I hear there is a huge hang up cause the last guy who quit took his ball and ran home. Pretty shitty thing to do eh?

I thought I remember hearing CPUWIZ can put many of the XM features on his 7800 carts. If 7800basic ever supports those extra features I'll be ON IT.