IGNORED

Controller Repair Suggestions

Upon getting back into my Intellivisions this past week, I have been noticing a common problem with the model 1 units. Now, the controllers on both my Sears units have excellent flex circuits left in them and are very responsive. Well, except the controller with the bad cord. My original model 1 I bought years back for $5 has always had problems with the disk on the left controller, so I decided to investigate. The circuit under the disks seem to be prone to not only wearing through the plastic, but also the ink or whatever they used start to look burned and flakes off! The controllers on my mostly dead Tandyvision showed similar issues, but one was good enough to act as a donor for my model 1 for now.

Now, here's some questions: Is there a way to slow this issue and even extend the life of the controllers? The Intellivision seems to be a solid console, with my Tandyvision being the only unit I have so far to get a major problem. Also, is there a way to repair the controllers? I am wondering if one can carefully apply an adhesive tape to repair the split plastic, then maybe paint the circuit back on with conductive ink?

Edited by simbalion

There have been sent posts here a few months ago about getting some flex circuits made, but I don't think there's been any progress.

Another possibility is that you purchase spare Intellivision Flashback controllers from Intellivision Productions, and the Intv 1 adapters.

...is there a way to repair the controllers? I am wondering if one can carefully apply an adhesive tape to repair the split plastic, then maybe paint the circuit back on with conductive ink?

You can repair some circuit matrix damage that way, but any repair in the disc area won't likely last long.

In general (call it preventive maintenance), I recommend a thin piece of plastic (like a Ziploc freezer bag thickness-wise) be cut into a circle slightly larger than the disc, with a center hole, and that be placed above the circuit matrix where the disc will press. I did this to controllers even as a kid. It helps prevent cracking/cutting the matrix in the disc area.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with a Flashback controller / adapter cable... and I'm not just saying that because I make the adapters!

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the general consensus is that the controllers are great.

In a recent Intellivisionaries episode, it was pointed out (and I agree) that the fire buttons, while being much "softer" than the originals (i.e. easier to press and easier on the fingers/thumbs), there is a minor drawback. Depending on how you hold the controller, because the side buttons are easier to press -- and stick out a bit further -- you might accidentally fire them. IMO that's a really small nit to pick -- they are overall really, really good.

• Like 1

How good are the Flashback controllers? I have one I got for Christmas, but I really haven't played it much.

If you already have a Flashback, give it a shot to compare it to the original controllers, and now you only need to purchase the adapters from Intellivision Productions.

I finally hooked up my Flashback for the first time and I must admit that the controllers do seem to be pretty good. At least as responsive as the like-new controllers on my Sears Super Video arcade. I'll be looking into getting the adapters here in the near future after I see what they take for payment. If I recall right though, undoing the controllers on an original Intellivision is no picnic. I recall trying to do that on my Tandyvision when the keypads suddenly quit working on both controllers.

Has the pin-out comparison between the original and FB made controllers been made public? I'm asking because if the wiring is the only thing that is off, then it would be just as easy to buy the FB controllers separately and then internally rewire them to be compatible with actual Intelly consoles right? Or better, has anyone been able to sus out an adapter or control box in the middle that would allow you to select the compatibility on the fly so that you could use the FB controllers for either or with the flick of a switch?

Has the pin-out comparison between the original and FB made controllers been made public? I'm asking because if the wiring is the only thing that is off, then it would be just as easy to buy the FB controllers separately and then internally rewire them to be compatible with actual Intelly consoles right? Or better, has anyone been able to sus out an adapter or control box in the middle that would allow you to select the compatibility on the fly so that you could use the FB controllers for either or with the flick of a switch?

problem with a switched version is 8 of the pins are different. You would need a powered circuit to make that happen on one switch. There is no voltage on the controllers so you would need multiple switches to accomplish this. Or add voltage to the mix

Maybe the posts above were not very clear.

The adapters do exist for the Flashback controllers to plug into the original Intellivision console, or into the Intv II console.

They can be purchased at this link:

https://intellivision-productions-inc.myshopify.com/

This means that one set of FB controllers can be used directly on the Flashback, original Intellivision console (with adapter), Intv II console (with adapter).

Why rewire the internal FB controller when you can simply get the adapter?

If you want to make your own adapters, or rewire your FB controller:

post-19433-0-95826500-1409109468.jpg

If you want to go from FB into the original console, you'd just extrapolate from this picture below:

image081.jpg

I guess my point in rewiring an FB controller internally would be to only use them on actual Intellivisions. I have most of the games and an actual Intelly FB. And I do really like the FB controllers. So I guess I was only trying to state that for me, it would be cheaper in the long run to purchase extra FB controllers separately and then rewire them to permanently work on actual Intellivision Sears or Intelly II consoles as full on replacements. The adapters do allow this of course and I'm not knocking their use in any way. Just another option. The FB controllers are $10 a pop. So why not order up a few controllers and wire them or not as needed for hot spares?

My adapters are one solution, but as was mentioned, it would be cheaper to just buy a couple extra Flashback controllers and change the wiring internally. There's a small daughter-board inside that makes de-soldering / re-soldering very simple. See the thread on my Dual Action Controller for more details on the internals.:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241707-intellivision-dual-action-controller/

And I've thought about a switch-box type solution, but as Pimpmaul69 mentioned, it's a bit more complicated and costly.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly hope that Nurmix isn't offended, but I ordered 4 extra FB controllers from Intellivision productions and modified two of the controllers internally to work with actual Sear Video Arcade / Intellivision II systems. I just wanted a few extra excellent ones on hand. Anyway, if any others are interested in doing this, I've modified the original picture of the pinouts that Nurmix posted earlier to show the actual pinout numbers and actual colors of the wires that were in my FB controllers I received this week.

Here is a pic of the wires soldered to be compatible with an original Sears Intellivision or Intellivision II system.

post-6-0-08339400-1465757939_thumb.png

Here is the modified picture from Nurmix of the pinouts with corrected colors and pin numbers. These correspond with the picture above.

post-6-0-96688200-1465757939_thumb.png

Though I didn't try it, I suppose you could also just solder directly to the pins on the connector itself and not really even need the small daughter board. But that seems like more work than needed. I'm actually glad I did this, as I also discovered that the original solder work ins't the best inside these controllers. One of them had not 1 but two already disconnected wires. I just had to strip them back and solder them back on. Still, the soldering on these is...questionable out of the box as they say.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 3

I certainly hope that Nurmix isn't offended, but I ordered 4 extra FB controllers from Intellivision productions and modified two of the controllers internally to work with actual Sear Video Arcade / Intellivision II systems. I just wanted a few extra excellent ones on hand. Anyway, if any others are interested in doing this, I've modified the original picture of the pinouts that Nurmix posted earlier to show the actual pinout numbers and actual colors of the wires that were in my FB controllers I received this week.

Here is a pic of the wires soldered to be compatible with an original Sears Intellivision or Intellivision II system.

attachicon.gifFB_to_Mattel_Conversion.png

Here is the modified picture from Nurmix of the pinouts with corrected colors and pin numbers. These correspond with the picture above.

attachicon.gifFB_to_original_controller pinouts.png

Though I didn't try it, I suppose you could also just solder directly to the pins on the connector itself and not really even need the small daughter board. But that seems like more work than needed. I'm actually glad I did this, as I also discovered that the original solder work ins't the best inside these controllers. One of them had not 1 but two already disconnected wires. I just had to strip them back and solder them back on. Still, the soldering on these is...questionable out of the box as they say.

Not offended in the least, well done! Thanks for documenting the wiring changes.

And you're right... the soldering is pretty bad on these out of the box.

• 1 month later...

Hey, so after reading this, I decided to purchase a few of the Flashback controllers and wire adapters last week and I have seen no progress on my order since I made it. Has anyone here had any issues with ordering from them? What kind of turnaround time have you experienced?

Thanks!

Hey, so after reading this, I decided to purchase a few of the Flashback controllers and wire adapters last week and I have seen no progress on my order since I made it. Has anyone here had any issues with ordering from them? What kind of turnaround time have you experienced?

Thanks!

Maybe as Eric that question.. lol

I had mine shipped within two weeks.