IGNORED

How many mods will fit in a 600XL?

How many mods has someone actually squeezed into a 600XL? I love the small size, but realistically I know there is limited real estate inside. It would be great to have everything: U1MB, VBXE, stereo pokey board, u-switch, TK-II or AKI, Rapidus, and I'd have to do the 64k and a/v mods.

Is it doable or do I need to play it safe with a larger model?

I have Ultimate 1MB, VBXE, Stereo Pokey, and U-Switch in a 600XL. The secret to getting Stereo Pokey in there is to plug U1MB into the BASIC socket, but even then it's a fairly tight squeeze. I'm not sure if it would be physically possible to fit Rapidus in there as well, but that has as much to do with the obstruction from Stereo Pokey as it does the 600XL's size. I'm not sure which lateral direction Adaptus (the forthcoming XL Rapidus adapter) will throw the board. TK-II and AKI are going to be problematic alongside Stereo Pokey.

• Like 3

Two different ways exist to put a PS/2 keyboard adapter in there. The easiest would be to use Steve Carden's KRH-II which is a small solder-in solution. Another option would be to use a TK-II-XEGS-S and either mount it internally with a D-Sub15 ribbon cable soldered to Pokey, or if you don't mind having a small interface board plugged in from outside, just wire in a D-Sub15 panel mount jack mounted wherever you can fit it on the 600XL's enclosure. In fact with that last option you could just plug in an XEGS keyboard. This all assumes that you would want a remote keyboard.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Sorry for my totally off topic yell:

The 600xl absolutely kicks ass!!!

I love it. Mine has the Hias 576k sram upgrade, a built in rtc, and dual os (stock and mybios). I fixed video output by removing one single disc capacitor. This is one of my most favorite atari 8bit machines.

• Like 2

my old PAL 600xl had the following

Internal 64k
Ultimate 1meg RAM upgrade (1 meg RAM, spartados x, real time clock, multiple OS)
Stereo pokey
Covox
Internal sio2pc
Ps2 keyboard adaptor
Vbxe2

It was a LOT of work to get it all to fit, quite a few components had to be moved underneath the motherboard.

Not for the feint hearted

And I never should have sold it

• Like 2

How many mods has someone actually squeezed into a 600XL? I love the small size, but realistically I know there is limited real estate inside. It would be great to have everything: U1MB, VBXE, stereo pokey board, u-switch, TK-II or AKI, Rapidus, and I'd have to do the 64k and a/v mods.

Is it doable or do I need to play it safe with a larger model?

Sure. There´s a lot space! :-D

Look, this is one modded 600XL I´m working on for an ABBUC member. Ultimate 1 MB, VBXE, Stereo. Of course already 64 KB main memory upgrade, S-Video Upgrade. The stereo PCB is my own and includes an SIO2PC-USB, for that I will install an USB jack over the SIO jack. When I´m going totally nuts, I will try also to include a SIO2SD using one of the very small displays used by Panos for the external Micro-SIO2SD.

post-15670-0-78963600-1464205242_thumb.jpg

post-15670-0-03642800-1464205261_thumb.jpg

As FJC already told, you´ve to use BASIC ROM´s place. I replace the 24 pin socket, solder a 28 pin socket into. Also you´ve the change the both "jumperfields" (look at the red jumpers upper right corner in picture 2) to the opposite places.

And, it´s a good idea to remove the plastic mylar cable from keyboard to the adapter PCB used in the 600 XL and use some standard ribbon cable.

Jurgen

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

And, it´s a good idea to remove the plastic mylar cable from keyboard to the adapter PCB used in the 600 XL and use some standard ribbon cable.

Jurgen

Hey Jurgen do you have a picture of how you did that ?

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Hey Jurgen do you have a picture of how you did that ?

Sorry, not now. The machine shown in the picture was made for an ABBUC member. I didn´t make photos from that, but in the next weeks a new machine must be optimised, then I will make photos from that.

Also I have planned a little adapter PCB for using standard IDC connectors. Be patient :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So today I received the IDC connectors.

I couldn't find a 30 pin version on RS's website so I sent them an email to ask if they had it anyway.....so they suggested the one on the right. From the picture on their website i couldn't see how exactly it was like.....clear enough it's not the same.....and I don't want to use it really. This would permentaly fix the ribboncable to the U1MB board. Although.........it would be a lot lower in profile than the push on connector.

Because....with the "type 4" keyboard I have....the height AND the stereo Pokey and U-switch PCBs the height IS becoming an issue....

post-25272-0-16158900-1504729881_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-34014800-1504729904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I did the same now and it fits....JUST.....

I am actually now thinking about installing that one on the right. I don't really need it, but it WILL lower the profile of the PCB immensely at the cost of it not being removable.....but you can always remove the PCB from the IC socket connectors.

All in all....the U1MB should stay inside anyway....so I might get another one just like that for the smaller connector on the left....I'm not too keen about leaving the relief clips off.....

But since I received the plastic supports I mounted the PCB and it fits JUST right.

Oh....and I just finally PayPalled you a small amount of money for all your hard work on the U1MB firmware etc....thanks Jon !

• Like 3

I have Ultimate 1MB, VBXE, Stereo Pokey, and U-Switch in a 600XL. The secret to getting Stereo Pokey in there is to plug U1MB into the BASIC socket, but even then it's a fairly tight squeeze. I'm not sure if it would be physically possible to fit Rapidus in there as well, but that has as much to do with the obstruction from Stereo Pokey as it does the 600XL's size. I'm not sure which lateral direction Adaptus (the forthcoming XL Rapidus adapter) will throw the board. TK-II and AKI are going to be problematic alongside Stereo Pokey.

You did this with a 1200XL too, right? If so, What Wxx jumper positions do you use for OS in the BASIC position on a 1200XL? Can you use the OS slot for another rom? (one rom chip in a socket can fit under my stereo board) Wouldn't it just be a matter of reverse-OPTION key function once the jumpers are changed? Or is there more to it?

I have a piggy-back stereo job i did myself due to the same problem with my MetalGuy66 stereo board and my Atarimax Warp OS board. \at first I tried the stereo board on a ribbon cable, but that was problematic.

Edited by Gunstar

You did this with a 1200XL too, right? If so, What Wxx jumper positions do you use for OS in the BASIC position on a 1200XL? Can you use the OS slot for another rom? (one rom chip in a socket can fit under my stereo board) Wouldn't it just be a matter of reverse-OPTION key function once the jumpers are changed? Or is there more to it?

Just had a look and on the loaded 1200XL, only W11 is jumpered. Whether this works without U1MB I don't know, but since U1MB is present, the second ROM slot is completely superfluous anyway. With the correct jumpers (and no U1MB), you can certainly put any 8K ROM you like (or BASIC) in the other slot. You'd use the jumper positions described in the AtariMax 32-in-1 instructions for the 1200XL in that case (the board comes with BASIC on an EPROM for the second socket).

• Like 1

Although I managed to close the "lid" of my 600XL I felt it was still touching the keyboard or just the case......so I decided to install that ultra low profile connector on my U1MB. This was advised to me incorrectly by RSonline as a connector for a ribbon cable but it turned out to be for direct connecting a ribbon to a PCB....without a way to remove it from the PCB.

This got me thinking though as, especially the left connector, is still sitting just too high....i already removed the strain relief but mmm...it looks like I'm going to do this on the left connector too....

The only issue with this is you have to be very careful when tightening the connector....I put a piece of cardboard under the PCB before abusing my pliers to install the ribbon but even so the solder-ends bent a little bit either way...check for any shorts if you do this....

Also of,course, the ribbons will now be fixed to the PCB, but ......where would it need to go.....if you really need to remove it you can still remove the connectors to the IC sockets.

Now need to find a 20 pin version of this connecto....

post-25272-0-97456000-1506511912_thumb.jpg

Crap.

I think I somehow killed my U1MB.....although I don't get it.

Getting a red screen ever since I replaced that connector......arghhh

I swapped all large chips, even the RAM....i even installed some header pins for the ROM socket selection jumpers so I could go back to the original OS ROM socket......installed the old OS ROM and sure enough the machine works just fine....

Hook up the U1MB to that socket....RED screen.

I checked all solderings of the connector....even beeped out the traces to the large chip on the back of the PCB....

See pics......I kept scratching my head if I maybe should have run the ribbon cable from the other side but my brain tells me that could not matter.....???

post-25272-0-39622500-1506547576_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-13838600-1506547587_thumb.jpg