IGNORED

Ultra Vortek...bit overpriced?

Tkat5200

I paid $10 new from Sears in 1997 for Ultra Vortek. so no, if that helps. ;)

Must have been a Sears outlet store? Cause Sears never sold Jaguar gear through the normal national chain. Same with Amiga, but bought an Amiga floppy drive once from a Sears outlet store. And that's all they had, was one. Lol Strange what they'd get their hands on to resell. Might have been a catalog deal with a partner come to think of it.

Must have been a Sears outlet store? Cause Sears never sold Jaguar gear through the normal national chain. Same with Amiga, but bought an Amiga floppy drive once from a Sears outlet store. And that's all they had, was one. Lol Strange what they'd get their hands on to resell. Might have been a catalog deal with a partner come to think of it.

It may have been Montgomery Ward. The game was in a discount bin like all Jag games at the time. I also remember seeing a JVC X-eye in with it for $80 but the x-eye was missing the box which was weird to see at a department store. I did buy a copy of Final Fantasy VII at Sears around that time so maybe that's why I'm thinking it was Sears. Most of the games I bought back then for the Jag came from ToysRus and Incredible Universe which was a super RadioShack. The Incredible Universe I used to go to is now a Fry's Electronics today.

I recently saw it go locally for $50 Australian or thereabouts. And it wasn't even released here, so yeah overpriced.

I don't mind the game, at least what they attempted to do with it. IMHO, it's more fun and has better playability than Way of the Warrior for what that's worth (what isn't more fun than that game ;P , though I'll give both devs credit for going a bit beyond the standard MK rip-off aesthetic with a limited budget ).

Edited by skip

Best MK clone i've ever played. The Cheese is layed on heavy (a good thing, so bad it's good) but the gameplay itself is solid IMO :)

...UV on the Jag, even though it's a one on one fighter, reminds me of Mutant Rampage on the CDi. Don't know if it's the overall cheesiness, the frame rate or both. :lol:

While I too like UV, the frame rate has the typical obligatory Jaguar handicap that way. Gameplay is "good enough", but still. Wish it wasn't as choppy.

• Like 1

...UV on the Jag, even though it's a one on one fighter, reminds me of Mutant Rampage on the CDi. Don't know if it's the overall cheesiness, the frame rate or both. :lol:

While I too like UV, the frame rate has the typical obligatory Jaguar handicap that way. Gameplay is "good enough", but still. Wish it wasn't as choppy.

Would have much preferred a beat em' up, but Ultra Vortek is a pretty solid 2D one one fighter in my book. Like most Jag games, it has it's flaws.

I love Mutant Rampage on the CDi, it's one of the main reasons I have the system (along with Burn: Cycle, Chaos Control, Tetris, The Apprentice, etc.) Totally solid beat em' up that I put right up there with Streets of Rage. If only it were two player :)

Edited by travistouchdown

The cheat for enabling Turbo Mode helps in this aspect.

The cheat for enabling Turbo Mode helps in this aspect.

Which is one thing I don't really understand why they couldn't have had the game just run fast/smooth from the onset. I guess it has more to do with lack of character frames than smoothness and the only reason it appears smoother is because of the overall speed increase but the game does seem a little sluggish without turbo mode enabled.

If you think Mutant Rampage is almost "right up there" with Streets of Rage, you'd most certainly love Riot Zone for the TG-16. :)

Actually like the game myself, a bit repetitive, but wish the TG-16/PC Engine had more beat 'em ups too.

Will have to check it out!!

RE Turbo mode: Yes you think as a developer you would not want your game to require the use of a cheat code to perform better...

There's a turbo mode for Mutant Rampage Bodyslam? I need to look into this!

I also love this game. In terms of gameplay, it comes nowhere close to Streets of Rage, but I like a lot of the enemy designs (though I hate the playable character designs) and the levels. It's repetitive, clunky, and cheesy, but it has a certain personality of its own that makes it enjoyable.

It's too bad there isn't a good side-scrolling beat-'em-up for the Jaguar. Maybe this game eventually will fill that void.

No, no… Ultra Vortek. :lol:

Have yet to try it myself. But if it's anything like the Turbo mode on Jaguar Another World, no thanks. Yikes! :lol:

Aww, I was excited there for a second!

I haven't played Ultra Vortek very much, though it is in the intro to my Gaming With Friends Who Suck videos. :)