IGNORED

Is original artwork a turn off to collectors?

Aldo

I was pricing Turtles in Time cabinets a while ago and came across an ebay listing. The description said the machine was fully restored and in great working order. The thing that jumped out to me was that all the artwork on the machine was original and painted by the seller. Now don't get me wrong, the artwork looked good, but it wasn't the machine's original artwork (which I find rather charming, what looks like guys in Turtles costumes falling through a time vortex).

The listing is gone from ebay, so I assume he sold it, but as a future collector (I have neither the money, or house space right now for it) this was a major turn off to me. I'm not the only one right?

And if the seller does in fact post here, I just want to say I'm not knocking your machine or anything, I just feel if I'm going to get a machine I want to get it how it originally was.

Personally, I'd rather have "good" original art than "excellent" repro, but I know a lot collectors that have absolutely museum-quality stuff, and good repro stuff is needed for that.

"Custom" stuff, on the other hand, can be neat for special projects and mame cabinets but yeah...not really a thing a collector is going to want.

Edited by racerx

It was different than the original artwork. The idea was the same, but this had the Turtles on their Hoverboards from the Neon Night Riders level, also the Turtles design more closely resembled that of the mid 2000 animates series, complete with white eyes.

Like I said, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't "Museum Quality" to quote another poster.

Edit: A quick google search turned this up artwork I saw.

Now I'm confused, was this artwork ever used in any official releases of these machines? Cause I only ever remember the artwork looking like what was posted above.

Edited by Aldo

That's custom art by Rich at This Old Game. He made that specifically for people (like me) who think the stock TiT art is way too cheesy. :)

Truthfully though, Turtles in Time is post-classic era. The late 70s / early 80s golden age stuff is what geezers like me get all anal about.

Edited by racerx

Thanks for that, nowhere on the ebay listing did it cite where the artwork was from.

As for me, I consider it a classic, but it could be because it was around when I was really getting into the arcade scene. I played the first one more than Turtles in Time back in the day, but I think Turtles in Time is the more realized game of the two, with much better art (in game and out of game).