Gold Atari 800

58 replies to this topic

#51 joeventura OFFLINE  

joeventura

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:18 AM

It is a gold-leaf Atari. Anyone can do this with materials bought at the craft store.

Look forward to seeing yours. In the meantime I am the only "anyone" you know. :)

#52 joeventura OFFLINE  

joeventura

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 AM

That's going to be hard to restore.

When you have over a dozen of them, you have the freedom to do what you want to one without the worry of restoration.

#53 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:16 AM

Good thing is that most people who see it, will assume it is spray painted and not pay much attention so it hopefully should be somewhat immune to theft unless you have a plaque that explains it is leaf gold.

Generally it looks nice, but I think a platinum Atari would look even more impressive. Not that I'm intending to try to cover one and I don't know if platinum is available in any form that is suitable for covering an existing shape anyway.

#54 joeventura OFFLINE  

joeventura

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 382 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 AM

Good thing is that most people who see it, will assume it is spray painted and not pay much attention so it hopefully should be somewhat immune to theft unless you have a plaque that explains it is leaf gold.

Generally it looks nice, but I think a platinum Atari would look even more impressive. Not that I'm intending to try to cover one and I don't know if platinum is available in any form that is suitable for covering an existing shape anyway.

Yes platinum would be even more impressive, 

Or what would be better is Rhodium!!

Even better cover it completely in emeralds

No wait DIAMONDS!!!   That would be awesome!!

#55 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:43 AM

Palladium might be a better choice, as it tends to be cheaper than platinum but with similar finish and possibly lighter per cm2 for a similarly thick cover. However I understand it is hard to work with.

If the 1200XL is any useful reference, jewels don't look good on the computer, at least not that amount. Besides I think an Atari covered in diamonds would be unpleasant to rest your hands on. The smooth surface of gold or other metal is better. Even silver for those of us on a strict budget might be worth considering. I wouldn't go as cheap as nickel since some people are allergic to that and we don't want people get all swollen up with blisters on their fingers for playing Atari games.

#56 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,207 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 AM

I'm fine with plastics. Even though the milled aluminum case of the Macbook I type this on looks and feels great and its haptics and durability beat any other laptop I ever used, at some angles the edges are uncomfortable and it sometimes has a cold "feel". To each his own but I don't even like brass chandeliers outside ships (any more) and don't need golden watches or computers. But if the OP enjoys a gilded Atari, I just marvel at the diversity of ways in which our old machines can be enhanced.

#57 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,968 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 AM

I put 3 small sapphire crystals on the wife's Enermax Aurora keyboard. On top of the lights, but recessed in the aluminum housing. And a flash of violet & red (lens flare style) paint across the top, near the F1-12 keys. It's slick and classy, restrained yet eye-catching without being anywhere near gaudy. Glitz and Bling isn't for us.

We ran several mockups with bits of glass beads and anything we did beyond 5 pieces looked overdone. No matter how they were arranged. No matter what!

#58 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,149 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 PM

Make sure the gold leaf doesn't flake off and fall inside. Gold is an excellent electrical conductor and can short the circuit board(s) in your 800.

#59 KLund1 OFFLINE  

KLund1

Moonsweeper

• 479 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 PM

All 8-bit Ataris are GOLD IMOP

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users