IGNORED

Gyvolver

Random Terrain

Gyvolver is now in the AtariAge store:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1207

Latest Version of Gyvolver

The asm version of the high score code is now used. There is also an NTSC version and a PAL-60 version.

Here's the NTSC .bin file to use with an emulator or Harmony cart:

gyvolver_ntsc_2019y_05m_17d_1753t.bin

Here's the PAL-60 .bin file to use with an emulator or Harmony cart:

gyvolver_pal_2019y_05m_17d_1753t.bin

post-13-0-52208300-1551727027.gif

Tip Jar Page for Random Terrain

Trivia

The first part of Gyvolver is pronounced like the "JY" sound from the word gyroscope and the rest is pronounced like "volver" from the word revolver. The first part of Gytaraxis is also pronounced like the "JY" sound from the word gyroscope. The first part of Prodvocates is pronounced like the word prod and the rest is pronounced like "vocates" from the word advocates (they are prodding advocates).

The Story

For thousands of years, the inhabitants of Gytaraxis have lived in peace thanks to the energy barriers that protect their planet and its power source, the Vityrian Crystals.

Hoping to seize the power crystals for itself in an effort to make its armies invincible, the evil Calamitous Cube has declared war on Gytaraxis. Using virulent vibrations, the Calamitous Cube has eaten holes through the energy barriers that protect Gytaraxis.

In an effort to fend off the Calamitous Cube, the Gytaraxians have called upon the legendary repair ship known as Gyvolver to fix the energy barriers and keep the crystals from falling into the Calamitous Cube’s grasp.

Restoratives

The Prodvocates will help Gyvolver by sending a restorative whenever they can get through the vibrational interference. Press the fire button to slow down and telekinetically pull a restorative towards Gyvolver. The bar to the left of the score displays how much telekinetic power is available. When the telekinesis bar is empty, Gyvolver can no longer slow down or use telekinetic powers. Release the fire button to let the bar fill back up. Remember, the Prodvocates are using their own dwindling powers to send Gyvolver a restorative, so it won't be there for long. A restorative is worth 200 points or 400 if the life force energy bar is full.

Life Force Energy

Gyvolver is pretty tough and can handle almost anything, but a head-on collision with an energy barrier will cause damage. That damage is shown in the life force energy bar to the right of the score. When Gyvolver's life energy is gone, the game is over.

Perpendicular Hooligans

The Calamitous Cube will try to slow Gyvolver's progress by sending Perpendicular Hooligans that can come in from either side, so watch out. A Perpendicular Hooligan can usually be avoided at full speed, but it may be necessary for Gyvolver to slow down in some cases.

Twin Loutagents

These creatures work for the the Calamitous Cube and are attracted to telekinetic powers. They get a little closer whenever Gyvolver uses telekinetic powers to slow down or to pull in a restorative. Twin Loutagents will cause harm to Gyvolver if they are allowed to get too close.

Clusters

The energy barriers have been damaged in waves. A cluster of energy barriers will start with large holes and end with small holes. When most of a cluster has been repaired, the Prodvocates will rejoice, giving Gyvolver 1,000 points worth of restoratives and fully restored life force energy, then it's immediately on to the next cluster.

Repairing a larger hole in the first wave of a cluster is worth 10 points, 15 for each hole in the second wave, 23 for each in the third, 31 for each in the fourth, 42 for each in the fifth, and 55 for each hole in the sixth.

Controls

Attract Mode and the Title Screen

Attract mode displays the title screen for 10 seconds, then switches to a computer-controlled gameplay demo. This attract mode sequence repeats until you are ready to play.

Starting and Restarting the Game

The game can be started with the reset switch or by pressing and releasing the fire button on the left controller. Press the reset switch while playing if you want to restart the game and return to the title screen.

Pause

To pause the game on an Atari 2600, flip the COLOR/BW switch. To pause on an Atari 7800, press the pause button. You can also pause the game by pressing the fire button on the right controller. To resume play, press and release the fire button on the left controller.

On/Off Switch for Scrolling Borders

The left difficulty switch can be used to turn the scrolling borders off and on.

Gyvolver

Move Gyvolver horizontally using the left controller. Press the fire button to slow down. Pressing the fire button can also telekinetically pull a restorative towards Gyvolver.

Score

The high score and latest score are displayed during auto-play. The high score will be remembered until your video game system is turned off.

Note: This game is not in the public domain. You have permission to use this program with emulators and on a real Atari using a Harmony cartridge or similar device (it will not work with a modded Flashback 2). Please do not include any version of this program in collections or post the .bin on a web site and please don't put it on cartridge with or without the intention of selling it (don't be a hoser).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Introductory Text

Since Gyvolver is almost done, it's probably a good idea for it to have a new thread. The old thread just had experimental versions. This new thread has a version that is much closer to being a finished game.

Old Versions

Here's the .bin file to use with an emulator or Harmony cart:

gyvolver_2019y_03m_02d_1621t.bin

gyvolver_2019y_03m_02d_1023t.bin

gyvolver_2019y_02m_26d_1101t.bin

gyvolver_2016y_05m_29d_1427t.bin

gyvolver_2016y_05m_28d_1741t.bin

gyvolver_2016y_05m_27d_0133t.bin

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 12

Thanks. I hope that people will eventually post what they like and don't like about it. For example, are the scrolling rectangles on the sides an improvement or an annoyance?

I took your mention of it being "almost done" as a sign for only superficial input, but it seems that was wrong. The game is very well polished. Good job.

The scrolling rectangles don't really add anything, IMO, but they don't take away from it either.

I very much like the gate passing sound - the nice sound envelope and varying pitch keeps it from becoming monotonous and tiring.

The title screen is minimal, but pretty.

I like what you've done overall, but the experience is mostly one note. For the most part it doesn't stray very far from being a variation of Night Driver. If a simple game is your goal, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you want more texture, it might be cool if you passed through zones with different characteristics, had power-ups of some sort, had to pick up humanoids, or were making your way to a boss. Those sorts of things build tension, but also allow for it to be released too.

• Like 2

Very nice as is!

I like that it is creative and not just a car.

The side boxes let your peripheral vision detect hits by being a larger red area, (along with the sound and the gate line turning red).

This and Chipoff, were they Paddle games, I would beat down the doors to buy a cart!

Chipoff is tops in sound, animation, game play, and this could be as great, but playing obvious paddle games with a joystick or button controller kills the fun for me.

It can work sometimes. For instance, Lead is so good I could not see Paddles making much of a difference.

• Like 1

Thank you, the game is simple and awesome. I like the sounds and simple animation of the motor spinning on the back of your ship. Good Job!

Thanks.

I took your mention of it being "almost done" as a sign for only superficial input, but it seems that was wrong. The game is very well polished. Good job.

Thanks.

The scrolling rectangles don't really add anything, IMO, but they don't take away from it either.

Here's the same program without the rectangles on the sides if you want to compare:

gyvolver_2016y_05m_28d_0211t_PF0_REMOVED.bin

I very much like the gate passing sound - the nice sound envelope and varying pitch keeps it from becoming monotonous and tiring.

Thanks. How do you like the sound the restorative makes when you don't get it and it disappears?

The title screen is minimal, but pretty.

I wanted this to be a 4k game, but my bloated code forced me to use 16k and a lot of that is used up, so there isn't room for a good title screen unless I add another bank.

I like what you've done overall, but the experience is mostly one note. For the most part it doesn't stray very far from being a variation of Night Driver. If a simple game is your goal, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you want more texture, it might be cool if you passed through zones with different characteristics, had power-ups of some sort, had to pick up humanoids, or were making your way to a boss. Those sorts of things build tension, but also allow for it to be released too.

One note is a good description. I'd like to add more, but I'm out of objects. Gyvolver is player1, the restorative is missile1, the left border is player0, the right border is missile0, and the Perpendicular Hooligan is the ball. Should I reuse the player1 sprite, causing Gyvolver to flicker?

Hi, RT. Just tried this out. It's great! You have a knack for making enjoyable games.

Thanks.

I just tested it. Definitely a fun game!

Thanks.

Very nice as is!

I like that it is creative and not just a car.

The side boxes let your peripheral vision detect hits by being a larger red area, (along with the sound and the gate line turning red).

This and Chipoff, were they Paddle games, I would beat down the doors to buy a cart!

Chipoff is tops in sound, animation, game play, and this could be as great, but playing obvious paddle games with a joystick or button controller kills the fun for me.

It can work sometimes. For instance, Lead is so good I could not see Paddles making much of a difference.

Thanks. It looks like we normally can't have a multicolored playfield while using the paddles, but I just remembered that theloon mentioned a paddle mini kernel made by RevEng. Seems like something that should be linked to from the batari Basic page, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I could use that to add optional paddle control.

Very Cool Random.

I really like the animated ship. And I like that the ship loses control slightly when you have a collision. The game play is simple and I like the title screen. I'm also fine withe blocks running down the side. It adds to the feeling of movement.

The only criticisms I have are:

Does the game get any harder or faster? I just may not be very good at the game to get that far.

I wish the Perpendicular Hooligans were more than just a block. You gave them a fancy name. You could have given them a fancy sprite.

Lastly, there seems to be a need for more of a transition from when you die to the attract screen. I keep wanting to keep playing after I die. Maybe a game over notification or have it jump back to the title screen.

But great job. I really enjoyed playing it. I need to fire it up on my Harmony cart.

• Like 1

Here's the same program without the rectangles on the sides if you want to compare:

Ok, I'll revise my earlier statement. The side blocks add a sense of motion, which is good. I feel a mild bit of distraction when they're not in my focus, similar to flicker but nowhere near the same level. I wonder if increasing the height of the blocks and gaps would be less distracting, but still give the feeling of motion.

Thanks. How do you like the sound the restorative makes when you don't get it and it disappears?

Love it. The decaying echo is great. It's easy to see you spent time polishing the audio in this game.

I wanted this to be a 4k game, but my bloated code forced me to use 16k and a lot of that is used up, so there isn't room for a good title screen unless I add another bank.

Once it's bank-switched, my own feeling is there's no real difference between 16k and 32k. That said, I like the current screen. It's minimal, but pleasant to look at.

One note is a good description. I'd like to add more, but I'm out of objects. Gyvolver is player1, the restorative is missile1, the left border is player0, the right border is missile0, and the Perpendicular Hooligan is the ball. Should I reuse the player1 sprite, causing Gyvolver to flicker?

I'd say "no" to the flicker.

For the border, could you get away with using 2 copies of missile0, and displaying it near the right? The second copy will wrap around to the left side of the screen. I did something similar with the invisible maze torches in Christmas Adventure.

That will free up the (now 2-copy) player0, which you could make for a unique element in the game.

Also, maybe the restorative could do double-duty when it's not on screen.

It looks like we normally can't have a multicolored playfield while using the paddles, but I just remembered that theloon mentioned a paddle mini kernel made by RevEng. Seems like something that should be linked to from the batari Basic page, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I could use that to add optional paddle control.

The standard kernel mod I made for paddles and multi-color was posted in this thread. I just added the "paddle" mini kernel there, which actually just draws an independent "paddle" sprite in the mini kernel area.

• Like 1

Very Cool Random.

I really like the animated ship. And I like that the ship loses control slightly when you have a collision. The game play is simple and I like the title screen. I'm also fine withe blocks running down the side. It adds to the feeling of movement.

Thanks. I just got an idea. Instead of asking people if they like the scrolling stuff on the sides, it would be easy to use a difficulty switch to turn them off and on.

Does the game get any harder or faster?

The plan was to have the barriers farther apart and get closer together over time. Problem is that a setting of 5 had them too far apart and it was boring. A setting of 4 was also too boring. A setting of three was pretty much perfect. A setting of 2 makes the barriers way too close to each other. So, I'm stuck at a setting of 3 for the spacing of the barriers.

For the scrolling speed, I can use pfscroll down or pfscroll downdown. The second one is too fast. I tried adding a second pfscroll down every other drawscreen, but it's too jerky, so the scrolling speed has to stay the way it is.

The first cluster has holes that move randomly up to 3 pixels left or right. The next cluster has holes that move randomly up to 7 pixels left or right. I tried 15 for the third cluster, but one hole can be so far away from the last hole that it can be impossible to reach, even when slowing down. That means I had to stop at 7.

Until I (or anyone posting in this thread) comes up with something better, the holes go from large to small within a cluster. The holes start at 7 pixels wide, then drop to 6 pixels, 5 pixels, 4 pixels, and stop at 3 pixels.

I wish the Perpendicular Hooligans were more than just a block. You gave them a fancy name. You could have given them a fancy sprite.

At this time, I don't have a spare sprite. I had to use the ball for the Perpendicular Hooligan.

I'm using the standard kernel with player1colors, no_blank_lines, and pfcolors, so that means I have the ball, two sprites, and no missiles. The good news is that the missiles can be turned back on and used as top to bottom strips using ENAM0 = 2 and ENAM1 = 2 and turned off using ENAM0 = 0 and ENAM1 = 0. (ENAM0{1} = 1 and ENAM1{1} = 1 can also be used to turn them on.) The colors of a multi-colored sprite will show up in the missile at the same horizontal position. It can be used as a bonus item at the side away from the playfield pixels (the whole strip will cover up part of the playfield). A collision can occur with the missile from top to bottom, not just at the spot where you see color, so it can only be used in certain types of games.

Lastly, there seems to be a need for more of a transition from when you die to the attract screen. I keep wanting to keep playing after I die. Maybe a game over notification or have it jump back to the title screen.

That was bothering me too. I should have enough space to make the title screen show the current score and the high score, so the player won't have to wait for auto-play to see it.

I'll put the new version in the first post when it's ready. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Thanks.

Ok, I'll revise my earlier statement. The side blocks add a sense of motion, which is good. I feel a mild bit of distraction when they're not in my focus, similar to flicker but nowhere near the same level. I wonder if increasing the height of the blocks and gaps would be less distracting, but still give the feeling of motion.

The new version I'll post later (and the border test version below in this post) will let the player turn it off and on using the left difficulty switch, then anyone who doesn't like it can get rid of it.

Love it. The decaying echo is great. It's easy to see you spent time polishing the audio in this game.

That might be my favorite sound from this game. I let the restorative go away by itself just so I can hear the sound. :D I like it when I get lucky and it only takes a few hours to create a sound effect, but it can take days before a sound effect is ready to be put into a game.

Once it's bank-switched, my own feeling is there's no real difference between 16k and 32k. That said, I like the current screen. It's minimal, but pleasant to look at.

Thanks. Then I won't add another bank for a new title screen if the one I have is good enough.

I'd say "no" to the flicker.

For the border, could you get away with using 2 copies of missile0, and displaying it near the right? The second copy will wrap around to the left side of the screen. I did something similar with the invisible maze torches in Christmas Adventure.

That will free up the (now 2-copy) player0, which you could make for a unique element in the game.

I think I didn't use two copies of missile0 because they had to be a little farther away from the barriers, but after trying it again, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference:

gyvolver_2016y_05m_28d_1404t_BORDER_TEST.bin

You can also use the left difficulty switch to get rid of the stuff on the sides. I put the double player0 on the screen for us to look at during the test.

Also, maybe the restorative could do double-duty when it's not on screen.

You mean as an extra variable?

The standard kernel mod I made for paddles and multi-color was posted in this thread. I just added the "paddle" mini kernel there, which actually just draws an independent "paddle" sprite in the mini kernel area.

Thanks. Looks like I couldn't use it with this program, but maybe it could be used with the standard kernel version of ChipOff. Will you be giving it its own thread when you get a chance?

I put the double player0 on the screen for us to look at during the test.

I think that worked out quite well! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. :)

You mean as an extra variable?

I meant as another moving element. e.g. coming from above. But I see now I missed your explanation about the kernel options in use. Clever!

Thanks. Looks like I couldn't use it with this program, but maybe it could be used with the standard kernel version of ChipOff. Will you be giving it its own thread when you get a chance?

I'm not looking to code up a new demo for it, so it's probably best just to leave it there. It serves to attribute theloon's contribution of basic code.

• Like 1

Latest version is near the top of the first post. When the game is over, it goes to the title screen instead of the auto-play screen. The title screen now shows the current score and the high score. The left difficulty switch can be used to turn the scrolling borders off and on.

Thanks to RevEng, I'll have a double sprite to use in a future version. If anyone has any ideas about what they should be, feel free to post them here. Just remember that the twin copies don't touch. There is a gap between them.

Do I waste the double sprite on the Perpendicular Hooligans or use the double sprite for something else?

Thanks. I hope that people will eventually post what they like and don't like about it. For example, are the scrolling rectangles on the sides an improvement or an annoyance?

Tried it on Harmony - the scrolling rectangles on the sides are an improvement, great game! :) All of the scrolling horizontal bars appear solid except the top one - it seems to blink when it first appears, I haven't looked in Stella but I'm guessing you are flashing it on purpose? imo it would look better staying solid like the other bars.

• Like 1

Tried it on Harmony - the scrolling rectangles on the sides are an improvement, great game! :) All of the scrolling horizontal bars appear solid except the top one - it seems to blink when it first appears, I haven't looked in Stella but I'm guessing you are flashing it on purpose? imo it would look better staying solid like the other bars.

Thanks. That flashing isn't supposed to happen. I adjusted the colors to get rid of the flashing. The new version is in the first post. You can't see the problem in the older version of Gyvolver using Stella unless you change YStart to 28 (Tab key > Game Properties button > Display tab). After changing YStart to 28, exit the menu, then press Ctrl + R.

Thanks. That flashing isn't supposed to happen. I adjusted the colors to get rid of the flashing. The new version is in the first post. You can't see the problem in the older version of Gyvolver using Stella unless you change YStart to 28 (Tab key > Game Properties button > Display tab). After changing YStart to 28, exit the menu, then press Ctrl + R.

Very cool, It's totally gone in the new version on the real hardware. This is a fun game! :) I like the sounds and the smooth scrolling at multiple speeds.

• Like 1

For anyone who wants to know, I'm working on my Atari 2600 release date pages while I let this new double sprite soak in the back of my mind. I'll post a new version when I figure out what the double sprite should look like and what it should do. I don't think we need another bonus item, so it should probably be an enemy or an obstacle.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Fun little game,

beautiful ship

amazing sounds

the enemy is a bit simple shaped

will buy the cart ;)

as I bought Seaweed Assault

Thanks for buying Seaweed Assault. That helps pay for my AtariAge subscription. I'll try to finish this game before 2016 is over. No guarantee that it will end up in the AtariAge store, though.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We'll be featuring Gyvolver on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream tomorrow on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games Tomorrow:
Gyvolver (WIP) (2016) by Duane Alan Hahn (Random Terrain)
Sheep It Up! (2018) by Dr. Ludos
Wal-Rush 2: Tick Tusk (2018) by (JWalrus)
Disk Donk (WIP) (2018) by BJ Best (bjbest60)
Dr. Flin and His Pills (2015) by atari2600land

EDIT: Here's the YouTube archive of the show!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

We'll be featuring Gyvolver on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream tomorrow on Twitch at 6PM PT/9PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

After watching you play it, the thing almost looks like a finished game. If no other health problems pop up and I can stop packing/moving/putting things away and nobody else dies, I should be able to make a few adjustments and get this game finished in 2019.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...