IGNORED

Gyvolver

Random Terrain

Loving it so far. Goes from easy to hard pretty fast! Also, the sound when the restorative "skitters" away is pretty sweet. You planning to add anything else?

I'm all out of variables (I split many of them up into two to squeeze more use out of them), so there's not a whole lot I can change except for how things work.

• Like 3

An idea, if you're interested in taking things a bit further.

You could add another wave with a somewhat different game mechanic, every few regular waves. If you gave it a unique main loop, you could probably re-use a lot of those same variables, and just initialize them sensibly before you return to a standard wave.

• Like 2

I'd love to understand how you did the scrolling bars in bB.

Check out the no_blank_lines section of the bB page.

An idea, if you're interested in taking things a bit further.

You could add another wave with a somewhat different game mechanic, every few regular waves. If you gave it a unique main loop, you could probably re-use a lot of those same variables, and just initialize them sensibly before you return to a standard wave.

I supposedly have 289 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1 and 364 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2. If people have ideas that would make it more fun and less monotonous, I could add more banks.

I started this thing in 2008, so I'm getting pretty tired of it sitting on a shelf. I'd like to finish it as soon as possible and move on to other things. It's time to kiss it goodbye and push it out the door.

• Like 1

I spent some time playing this, and I'm liking it more as I play it more. It gets brutally hard as the gaps get smaller, and hard to break out of a cycle of missing the gap once you get his once, and your ship is shaken.

Does your code check and make sure you are at the top of the playfield block (the visible line) and not just colliding with the invisible black part when you are checking for collisions? Also, this is just a matter of personal taste, but it might be nice to have a short breather between waves. Others might disagree and prefer the nonstop action.

As for variables, I'll throw out a few suggestions which you may have already considered, but just in case:

• aux6 aka statusbarlength: Since you aren't using a minikernel, you should be able to use this variable if you aren't already.
  • pfres: If you can decrease the pfres slightly and still have the game look good, you could free up a few variables this way.

All in all, I would say it is pretty much done as it is now, apart from whatever tweaks you might want to make. The title screen looks very nice, btw.

• Like 1

Does your code check and make sure you are at the top of the playfield block (the visible line) and not just colliding with the invisible black part when you are checking for collisions?

I don't remember specifics, but it looks like I did something to take care of that:

;***************************************************************
   ;
   ;  Force field collision check (main loop).
   ;
   ;  Decreases energy if player collides with force field.
   ;
   ;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
   ;  Skips section if no collision with force field.
   ;
   if !collision(playfield,player1) then _Bit1_Player_Hit_Wall{1} = 0 : goto __No_Crash

;  Skips section if playfield isn't at the correct position.
   ;
   if playfieldpos <> 8 then goto __No_Crash

;  Skips section if collision bit is on.
   ;
   if _Bit1_Player_Hit_Wall{1} then goto __No_Crash

;  Turns on collision bit and gap filler bit.
   ;
   _Bit1_Player_Hit_Wall{1} = 1 : _Bit3_Collision{3} = 1

;  Ignores anything that isn't 0 through 15.
   ;
   temp6 = _Collision_Countdown_f16 & %00001111

;  Sets the counter.
   ;
   ;   1   2   3   4   5   6   7    8
   ;  16, 32, 48, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128,
   ;
   ;   9    10   11   12   13   14   15
   ;  144, 160, 176, 192, 208, 224, 240.
   ;
   _Collision_Countdown_f16 = 144 + temp6

goto __Shared_Collision

__No_Crash

Also, this is just a matter of personal taste, but it might be nice to have a short breather between waves. Others might disagree and prefer the nonstop action.

I also don't like how there is no break of any kind after a cluster of energy barriers has been repaired. There's zero relief. I should probably clear the screen and give the player something else to do for a short time. Seems like dropped items from above that must be caught or avoided has been done to death.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, instead of making the player do something, I could just clear the screen, hold back the barrier production, and shoot restoratives at the player from the sides. One from the left, then one from the right and so on as part of the celebration. And instead of instantly giving the player 1000 points for finishing a cluster of energy barriers, the points could come from the restoratives.

aux6 aka statusbarlength: Since you aren't using a minikernel, you should be able to use this variable if you aren't already.

Thanks. I either forgot or didn't know that was available when using pfscore bars. I'm going to need that juicy variable to finish this thing.

pfres: If you can decrease the pfres slightly and still have the game look good, you could free up a few variables this way.

That would be nice, but I don't think I'm smart enough to redo the pfcolor flipping to match the new pfres and the other things that would have to be changed.

All in all, I would say it is pretty much done as it is now, apart from whatever tweaks you might want to make.

The restorative celebration might be the final change that this thing needs.

The title screen looks very nice, btw.

Thanks.

New version of Gyvolver is in the first post.

The only thing that has changed so far is that there is a bit of relief after a cluster has been repaired. I had to do a lot of surgery on the code to make this new change. Please let me know if it looks like I messed anything up.

• Like 2

Hey RT —

Here's something I put together. Still a little rough in places, but getting there. I also added a little more to the game's backstory. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Brian

Looking good to me. The only problem I see is the spelling of the name "Duane Alan Hahn."

Hey RT —

Here's something I put together. Still a little rough in places, but getting there. I also added a little more to the game's backstory. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Brian

That package design is awesome, man, major props. :cool: :thumbsup: Would you be interested in doing the box and label art for ChaoticGrill when it's completed?

One small suggestion on how the text on the back of the box could be improved: You start both paragraphs 2 and 3 with "Hoping to", which sounds awkward. I would instead start paragraph 3 with "In an effort to" and eliminate this clause from the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph. Thus the 2 paragraphs would then read:

Hoping to seize the power crystals for itself to make its armies invincible, the evil Calamitous Cube has declared war on Gytaraxis. Using virulent vibrations, the Calamitous Cube has eaten holes through the energy barriers that protect Gytaraxis.

In an effort to fend off the Calamitous Cube, the Gytaraxians have called upon the legendary repair ship known as Gyvolver to fix the energy barriers and keep the crystals from falling into the Calamitous Cube's grasp.

• Like 4

That package design is awesome, man, major props. :cool: :thumbsup: Would you be interested in doing the box and label art for ChaoticGrill when it's completed?

One small suggestion on how the text on the back of the box could be improved: You start both paragraphs 2 and 3 with "Hoping to", which sounds awkward. I would instead start paragraph 3 with "In an effort to" and eliminate this clause from the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph. Thus the 2 paragraphs would then read:

Hoping to seize the power crystals for itself to make its armies invincible, the evil Calamitous Cube has declared war on Gytaraxis. Using virulent vibrations, the Calamitous Cube has eaten holes through the energy barriers that protect Gytaraxis.

In an effort to fend off the Calamitous Cube, the Gytaraxians have called upon the legendary repair ship known as Gyvolver to fix the energy barriers and keep the crystals from falling into the Calamitous Cube's grasp.

Thanks for catching that! I've updated the manual and box art.

I'll have to get back to you re Chaotic Grille (which looks awesome, by the way). Busy with after-hours work-related stuff for the next 2 months at least. When are you looking to have the artwork, etc, done by?

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks for catching that! I've updated the manual and box art.

I'll have to get back to you re Chaotic Grille (which looks awesome, by the way). Busy with after-hours work-related stuff for the next 2 months at least. When are you looking to have the artwork, etc, done by?

Thanks,

Brian

Hey, my pleasure. I'll have to check in with splendidnut but I think you're fine. I doubt that the game will be completed within the next 2 months, but you never know. Also, then there's the issue of when Albert will be ready to put it up in the store for sale. I'll PM you an idea that I had for the box/manual/cartridge label if you're interested, but it you want to start tossing ideas around in your head, you can start from now so that when you have the time to work on it you will have a cache to draw off of. ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New-ish version of Gyvolver is in the first post.

The asm version of the high score code is now used. If anyone feels like testing the high score feature in various ways to make sure it is working properly, please do so. I haven't seen it mess up so far, but more eyes on it can't hurt.

There is also an NTSC version and a PAL-60 version. Anyone who uses PAL, please check out the PAL-60 version and see if the colors look OK to you.

Thanks.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...