IGNORED

! FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

Try this ;).

Rasmus, what do I need to do to this file to burn it to a eprom and place it into a DiskFixer Romox, modified with a socket. When I burned your RockRunner bin, I see the data, but it does not show up on the selection at power up? Thanks

Edited by RickyDean

Rasmus, what do I need to do to this file to burn it to a eprom and place it into a DiskFixer Romox, modified with a socket. When I burned your RockRunner bin, I see the data, but it does not show up on the selection at power up? Thanks

I'm not familiar with a DiskFixer Romox. Perhaps it expects an inverted image?

Romox cartridges using that board can only use 8KiB EPROMs because, as Rasmus pointed out, there is no bank-switching chip on board. In fact, the Main Byte pics show a Hitachi 8KiB EPROM on the board.

...lee

It doesn't look like it has circuitry for bank switching. Does it work with other images greater than 8KB?

Can't say, this is the first time I I have tried this since getting my TL866A. Lee that would probably explain it. I used a 27C128 for the RockRunner file not a 2764.

Edited by RickyDean

Can't say, this is the first time I I have tried this since getting my TL866A. Lee that would probably explain it. I used a 27C128 for the RockRunner file not a 2764.

Yeah, you would need something like John Guidry's 64KiB board or Jim Fetzner's 512KiB black board, both of which use inverted bank-switching.

...lee

What did you use to convert this? Works perfect. I have others games that I have tried and should convert but don't. Perhaps I need to use something else to do the conversion.

The version of Rock Runner that you usually find has been hacked by someone in the past to call routines in the Editor/Assembler cartridge. After consultation with the original developer, Eric Lafortune, who is also present here on AtariAge, I removed those dependencies again, which is why this version is working on the FlashROM 99.

• Like 4

Okay last night I dug out a 2764 eprom and burned it with the Rockrunner8.bin, when I plugged it in the Romox PCB and powered on the machine, I got FOR ROCKRUNNER as a selection, but when selecting it all I get is a cyan screen. This is with the PEB off or on, what am I doing wrong? Whatever I find out will be tried tonight after work, my wife loved that game and I am trying to keep her interested in my 'hobby', remember, it's not hoarding. ;)

Okay last night I dug out a 2764 eprom and burned it with the Rockrunner8.bin, when I plugged it in the Romox PCB and powered on the machine, I got FOR ROCKRUNNER as a selection, but when selecting it all I get is a cyan screen. This is with the PEB off or on, what am I doing wrong? Whatever I find out will be tried tonight after work, my wife loved that game and I am trying to keep her interested in my 'hobby', remember, it's not hoarding. ;)

My wife collects clothing, shoes, and jewelry... She has the walk in closet in the bedroom, closets in both spare bedrooms, and part of the storeroom. I have my tiny office and a small storeroom. So she does not give me too much grief over my collection :)

• Like 2

As Lee wrote you can only use your Romox for 8K images, and Rockrunner is 32K. It's not only the size of the EPROM but also the missing bank switching mechanism on the Romox that's the problem.

As Lee wrote you can only use your Romox for 8K images, and Rockrunner is 32K. It's not only the size of the EPROM but also the missing bank switching mechanism on the Romox that's the problem.

Okay, my fault I assumed the 8 on the back of the name meant 8k, I wasn't looking at the size of the file. I wonder why it said that it burned successfully if the whole binary wasn't burned. Thanks Rasmus.

• Like 1

I think the 8 is for uninverted rom

That is correct. The ‘8’ stands for 74LS378 (or 74LS377), which only have normal (non-inverted) outputs. A ‘9’* would indicate a binary with inverted bank-switching that only the 74LS379 latch chip can manage. The 379 can actually manage both inverted and non-inverted outputs, but the boards implemented to date with 379 latches have only ever been wired to use the inverted outputs.

...lee

* I think I made this up. Classic99 expects a ‘3’ at the end of 379 inverted-bank cartridge files. I am guessing this was because, initially, inverted-bank files were the only all-banks-in-one-file ROM files implemented by @Tursi. Once he implemented the non-inverted files, ‘8’ was a logical modifier for the reasons I mentioned above. By then, it was likely too set in users' minds to change the ‘3’ to a ‘9’. But, I should not put words in @Tursi's mouth!

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 2

Thanks for Warzone Mantadoc!!! The best TI-scroller ever not done by Rasmus <grin>

You are among the folks that have taken the FR99 ball and run with it, allowing the rest of us to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Hope you (all) realize how much it is appreciated!

When I first got my cartridge, I figured, the lack of some kind of RAM onboard to store GROM data was going to severely restrict how much software would be transferable to this device (never expected more than a hundred or so 8K roms to find their way onto my SDs - although that would have included the entire Atarisoft and DataBioTics games collections, which surely would NOT have sucked))

Well now I'm a few pages into my second SD, and I can't remember the last time I inserted a cartridge other than Xbasic or FR99. Talk about saving wear and tear on TI's often tenuous cartridge port!!

But this cartridge has also turned me into a beggar! It seemsthat I am making requests every second post! So at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth once again...

...will we be seeing Warzone II as well???

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 2

I converted a game called Space Fort, tried it and it ran. Tried it again later and it does not run. Copied it over again, still nothing. changed out my 32k card, still won't work.. I don't get it. Going to try a different console next. I am going to upload it so other can try it. Please let me know if it works or if my system has an issue.

Space Fort: DELETED, it did not work. Thank you guys for testing it

Hope you (all) realize how much it is appreciated!

No kidding there! It's very much appreciated indeed.

This is just ANOTHER reason I like the TI community here at Atari Age so much. For the most part everyone tries to contribute and support the community in whatever way they can. Some people have the skill sets for programming & hardware, others graphics, organization, publishing newsletters, helping newbies learn, etc. Many people find a niche and fill it to the benefit of the entire community.

In the past I've seen places where it was a 'leech fest' everyone wanted stuff, but none were willing to step up to the plate to say as much as "Thanks". They just sucked the place dry and moved on. Sad. As others have said, THIS PLACE ROCKS!

• Like 3